PDA

View Full Version : Where to start... hull characteristics

absolutezero
05-25-2010, 12:33 AM
I've been on this forum, and many others trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for in an inboard. Since I saw my first MasterCraft when I was about 8, on the lake with my dad, I've always wanted a MasterCraft. Our family had I/Os growing up, but I really want to move to a V-drive. Unfortunately, the closest dealer to me is about an hour away, and used options in town are nonexistent. So, I'd like to narrow down what I should be looking for before I start driving all over for test rides. Bottom line is that I'd like to get an idea of what I can expect from some of the different hulls available, while trying to identify what would be the right type of boat for my family. While I'd love to have a great wakeboarding boat, I have a wife and two small children, so a more family style boat would be better. Also, based on the prices I'm seeing and my budget, I think I'm probably looking at something at least 6 years old.

I'm most familiar (based on reading) with the 205v/X2/X1 hull because it seems to get a lot of coverage. Great for wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, etc., but has a fairly rough ride. Not as much space as the new designs, etc.

Current X2 - great space, good ride, decent wake, ok ski - at least this is what I'm reading.

X10 - good ride, wake is ok, but not great.

BTW, when I say not great, Iím basing that on what I've read, and not what I've experienced.

So are there other hulls I should be looking at? I know I want something in the 20' range, and I know my wife will want something that's easy for her to drive and fairly smooth.

Honestly, what I'd really like is an overall breakdown. Is there a good thread that I'm not finding on the pros and cons of the different designs over the last 10 years? I know that would be a broad topic, but I'd love to get some ideas of good v-drives that are family friendly and can still perform.

Thanks!

sand2snow22
05-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Reading your post I would go X-10 for ride, family, wakeboard wake. X-1 hull for wakeboard wake, ski wake. You can probably find a good deal on either. How much do you ski and/or board?

Ben
05-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Give more info on what you want to do (board, surf, ski, course skiing, etc) with the boat & where you will use it (what size of lake). "Rough" ride will depend on typical lake conditions as much as the hull you pick.

slickwater1
05-25-2010, 07:53 AM
I have a prostar for skiing, not a great ride on rough water, not much room. My best friend has a 205, more room little better ride but not great. then x-5 another buddy has, this is what we board behind, lots better ride, decent wake with weight, roomier than the previous two. Depends on how much sacrifice in pocket or ride you are willing to give.

mccobmd
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
The X1 ( which I have) does well up to 2 ft of chop, not so good after that. I went with it and not the x2 because we still ski and it was much better than the X2 or X10. Wakeboard wakes are different but equal (Depends on preference). X2 and X10 handle the rougher water well but have more freeboard and don't handle quite as well as the X1. I think all three have their strengths. If you're worried about her driving them there is no substitute for her driving them.

absolutezero
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
mccobmd, I'm interested that you feel the X1 is ok up to 2 ft. of chop. Based on my reading, I kind of assumed that I'd get hammered if it wasn't pretty calm out. I definitely need to drive one.

Currently we are using a Four Winns Horizon 190. anyone have a comment as to how the ride characteristics will compare between that and a 205v/XStar/X2/X1 hull? I know it's kind of apples to oranges, but any thoughts would be helpful.

Ben, I have two small children that have started tubing, but nothing else. I want to get my son on skis this summer. This summer we will do a lot of tubing, and I still like to ski, although I'd rather WB than Ski or tube. My wife may ski a bit here and there, but really she wants a fairly smooth ride and something that's easy to drive.

BTW, is it easier for young kids to learn to wakeboard or ski first?

The lake I use is a 4200 acre lake that is just a dammed up river. It's not very deep and not very wide. FYI - Lake Springfield (springfield, il). It's pretty calm during the week, but on Sat/Sun between 12 and 4 gets pretty choppy.

slickwater1, I'm surprised that the x5 is more roomy than the 205. Is the 205 a 205v? I would think that a V drive would always feel more roomy that a DD.

Thanks for the help!

mccobmd
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
I am in central oklahoma with a 15 to 20 mph wind the white caps are 2-2 1/2 feet. I would never go pleasure cruising in my X1 in that but then again I wouldn't go pleasure cruising in anything in that. We go across the lake into the wind appoxe 3/4 mile it is bumpy but the cove over on that side is skiable. Its not comfortable but it's not scary either. My last boat was a Sea Doo challenger 2000 that was much worse than the X1. My sister has a sea ray 190 sun deck and I would say they are equivalent in the chop. It has been my experience that the hull shape helps but the biggest reason and X30 and X45 ride so much better are the 2 and 3 feet of length and increased width that allow the deeper V. It is also the part that makes the ski wake worse. If you follow that logic then of the three X1 worst in chop, X2 and X10 fairly equal.

I think it is easier for kids to get up on a wakeboard. The problem is they lean back and go out to heel side and stay there. My 9yo still does this but he stays out there and enjoys it.

One potential downside to the bigger boats is the bigger wake is great as you progress but I take out a lot of beginners ( friends of my kids) and bigger wakes are scary for beginners. I honestly considered all of the hulls you're looking at. I trailer everywhere and we never cruise around so overall I went with the X1. I would be proud to own any of them and truthfully the day everyone tells me they're done with the slalom is the day I get an X2 because my body likes surfing the most.

mccobmd
05-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I did mention in my first post that driving will differ. Some here say the X2 handles as well as the X1 and I don't think so but it's not that far off. Any of theses will take getting used too after and I/O. FWIW the X1 will have as much room as you Four winns, the X2 and X10 more. We have a Four Winns dealer here. I went with inboard for the safety factor of no prop in the back. I grew up on a trisonic and had 2 friends go to the ER for cuts on their feet.

Ski-me
05-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Don't be let down that you can't steer in reverse near as well as an I/O. It takes some getting use to but you can eventually do a decent job.

Mine is a pretty flat, rough riding boat (old 94' 205) so I can't help you too much on your boat selection. However, that was my major sacrifice for the flattest ski wake possible....to me, it's worth it!!

The 205 is a direct drive with the engine in the middle.

The 205V is a v-drive boat with the engine in the back.

TMCNo1
05-25-2010, 06:50 PM
absolutezero,

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon4.gif Guest Accounts
Some member may notice that their account read as "Guest", however you have the ability to post. These "guests" are in fact TeamTalk members. The cause of this issue is that members are registering for TeamTalk through the MasterCraft Home page and myMasterCraft link at the top of the page. Back a few months ago when MasterCraft migrated TeamTalk to the mastercraft.com domain, this issue arose. From now on, if you are a guest and wish to be fully enrolled in TeamTalk, please email Phil Walker (phil.walker@mastercraft.com) and he will have your account deleted. Once your account is deleted, please re-register here. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/register.php)

bturner2
05-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Our 07 X2 has been the driest most comfortable MC we've owned to date.

We had a 89 TriStar that was best suited to very small lakes due to it's tendency to want to play U Boat and dive into rollers. Our 200 MariStar was a great all around boat and could handle the rougher water (2-3 foot chop) well when driven properly. Our 03 X2 didn't have quite the deep water capability. 1-2 footers tops and the 2 footers could get painful. The 07 X2 feels more sure footed than the 200 was and the bow design makes it tough to take one over the bow.

From a water sports perspective all my previous boats slalomed better than the current X2 however the surf and boarding wakes are outstanding. If you plan on going out for the entire day the storage and cooler set up is about the best there is in this size range.

Jerseydave
05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
I've driven most of the boats you mentioned and I'd lean toward the newer style X-2 myself. It should have a decent ski wake (I never tried it though), it can have a really nice wakeboard wake with extra ballast, good surf wake (again extra ballast) and the rough water ride is pretty good. It's very nimble, very similar to the X1 and more nimble than the X-10 (or my X-star for that matter) It has tons of seating and storage and is really fun to drive. FlyHI makes a great ballast kit for it too, all sacs out of sight. If you search for an X-2, try to find one with the MCX engine (350hp). The RTP engine (310hp) is fine for an X1.

Once you go from your old boat to a v-drive, you'll wish you bought one sooner! :D

BTW, where are you located? I drove 10 hours to find my X-star, so don't let some distance scare you.

Age Fighter
05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
X-2 might be the one for you. An X-14v would also be a good choice I think. The x-2 will probably handle rough water better. The X-14v is a great lay out too.

With a lake of 4200 acres and being narrow, I would not think you would spend a lot of time in rough water.

JohnE
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
X-2 might be the one for you. An X-14v would also be a good choice I think. The x-2 will probably handle rough water better. The X-14v is a great lay out too.

With a lake of 4200 acres and being narrow, I would not think you would spend a lot of time in rough water.

Neither of these meet the 6 year old criterion. Then again I'd rather see a dollar amount as a criterion rather than an age requirement. Still a pretty good buyer's market for used ski boats.

BTW, post some damn pics of your new tug would ya?

slickwater1
05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
it is a 205, only reason more room is because of open bow. basically same layout inside. The X series sounds like the boat for you though. Man I remember the day I brought my baby home.

absolutezero
05-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Neither of these meet the 6 year old criterion. Then again I'd rather see a dollar amount as a criterion rather than an age requirement.

I'm looking for something at or below 30k

bturner2
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Most likely going to be a 03 -05 x2 depending on when and where you purchase the boat. Now would be about the worst time (from a price perspective) to buy. Come late August through October prices can be a couple thousand dollars cheaper. Also if you're good working on boats/engines start hitting the repo and auction sites. I've seen several potential good deals in the April/May time frame that would have been worth going after.

I know it's easier said than done but try to take your time once you decide on what you want and you'll find a great boat in your price range.

bturner2
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
No one's bought this 07 X2 yet at Harrison Marine (repo lot). Low retail on it is $32K and it's a repo. Haven't seen it in person so it could be pretty rough but you never know without calling or looking.....

http://www.harrisonmarine.com/

absolutezero
05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Most likely going to be a 03 -05 x2 depending on when and where you purchase the boat. Now would be about the worst time (from a price perspective) to buy. Come late August through October prices can be a couple thousand dollars cheaper. Also if you're good working on boats/engines start hitting the repo and auction sites. I've seen several potential good deals in the April/May time frame that would have been worth going after.

I know it's easier said than done but try to take your time once you decide on what you want and you'll find a great boat in your price range.

When it comes to this purchase, I'm very patient. I really want to get the RIGHT boat. I'm giving myself about a year to research, test, and find the right deal. Even if it doesn't happen this summer, I'll be ok, as long as I get the right boat, and don't spend more than I can afford.

bturner2, I saw that boat. I wonder what it will end up going for. It's almost exactly the colors I would go for if I designed my own...

mccobmd
05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
When it comes to this purchase, I'm very patient. I really want to get the RIGHT boat. I'm giving myself about a year to research, test, and find the right deal. Even if it doesn't happen this summer, I'll be ok, as long as I get the right boat, and don't spend more than I can afford.

bturner2, I saw that boat. I wonder what it will end up going for. It's almost exactly the colors I would go for if I designed my own...

It's not just what is goes for, It's what will it take to get it to where you want it.

ksdaoski
05-26-2010, 09:39 PM
It's not just what is goes for, It's what will it take to get it to where you want it.

are there parts missing from the tower?

I'm seeing a grab handle missing off the back and a cracked rear deck, easily replaced by teak.

Anything else?

bturner2
05-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Completely agree. Every boat I've purchased has been a project boat (I've only had the cash to be able to afford used MCs), even the ones that looked to be in great shape. Towers can be rebuilt, gelcoat refinished and systems repaired. The more work this boat needs the cheaper it'll go for.

I looked an X2 there last year and called Harrison to see about bidding. Unfortunately the boat was sold before I could bid. The guy there told me boats go below low retail all the time. If parts are missing and the boat needs work I'm thinking low retail would would be high. Only one to find out. It costs $20 to make a bid. Make what you believe is the highest amount you're willing to risk and see what happens. If you risk say $30K and have to put $5K into it to make it "nice" (not perfect) you still have a 07 X2 for under $40K.

Certainly not for everyone but it is an option.

bturner2
05-27-2010, 07:08 AM
BTW, take a close look at the platform. It looks like they backed it into something. This boat is going to need some love to get it back to the condition it should be in.