PDA

View Full Version : towing 9 year old

mikeintexas
05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
My son just started. What speed should I be towing him at?

Thanks

ShamrockIV
05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
i assume u mean wakeboarding. i pull my twin 10 year olds at around 15. i learned a good trick to teaching young ones a few summersd back. i use my surf rope to get them started a few times. that way they are close to the boat so i can help.

i would take it slow with him since slower spped means big wake.

good luck

Jim@BAWS
05-24-2010, 10:06 PM
My son is 6 and skies on a cut down pair of old jumpers. He can start off the dock and slide off
I usually tow 16-20 MPH depending on conditions

Jim@BAWS

Vegas Skier
05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
My son just started. What speed should I be towing him at?

Thanks

My dad said he would always slow down when we started smiling... that was back in 1964. :)

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I think Vegas Skier has the answer. We go as slow as possible with little ones on skis. My 4 year old goes 7 mph. 15 mph ought to be good for a 9 year old.

coz
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
i assume u mean wakeboarding. i pull my twin 10 year olds at around 15. i learned a good trick to teaching young ones a few summersd back. i use my surf rope to get them started a few times. that way they are close to the boat so i can help.

i would take it slow with him since slower spped means big wake.

good luck

Good advise and where the heck have you been Sham?

Ghost of TMC Past
05-24-2010, 11:26 PM

Is advise sort of like advice?

possumlover82
05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
With my son and daughter for wakeboarding (they were 4 & 7) I shorted the line to about 20 or 30'. Once they started getting up I ran the line all the way out to about 85 - 90' at 15mph. That far back with that speed there is no wake for them to be scared of and gives them plenty of room to learn board control.

ShamrockIV
05-26-2010, 10:29 PM

thanks coz. i get it right from time to time!! with the rope that short they pop right up.

as to my location i am in Iraq for awile longer. predeployment killed most of last summer for me and deployment will kill the majority of this one. glad you missed me.

oxberger
05-27-2010, 10:24 AM
You can always do what my dad did when we said ready hit it... go full throttle and hope they get up, and if they don't pull back around and yell at them for not getting up and wasting gas. Seriously though, 15 should be good for that age. Size might have a little to do with it. I was a heavy 9 year old so I got pulled a little faster than my thinner cousins.

coz
05-27-2010, 10:47 AM
thanks coz. i get it right from time to time!! with the rope that short they pop right up.

as to my location i am in Iraq for awile longer. predeployment killed most of last summer for me and deployment will kill the majority of this one. glad you missed me.

Of course we miss ya Sham :D I hope you get home soon, I'm sure those girls are missing daddy bigtime :D

BoulderX45
06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
"The doctor said I swallow a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizzas!"

Now that is LOL!

I miss John Candy! I'm going to have the watch Stripes this weekend!

oxberger
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
"The doctor said I swallow a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizzas!"

Now that is LOL!

I miss John Candy! I'm going to have the watch Stripes this weekend!

Yeah, that was a big loss to comedy and from what I understand a great guy.

mikeintx, have you been able to get your son up yet? How did it work out for ya?