PDA

View Full Version : Oil in bilge?

ORX-1
05-24-2010, 06:00 PM
So after a weekend at the lake I got the boat home and decided to check the bilge for water, There was a little in there (maybe a half gallon or so) so I pulled the plug and drained it into a bucket. Upon doing so it looked like the water had oil in it; picture below.

Background:

I just had the transmission changed before this outing. So my thought was that there may be some oil that dripped in the bilge when they did this service and my buddy took a wave over the bow which is where the water is from Iím sure.

Donít think itís a leak or anything in the block because of the amount I used the boat in the 48 hours and the little amount of water

There is NO water in the engine compartment; the plug I pulled was in the center of the boat.

With that said any thoughts? The dealer said there should be no oil in the bilge at all, and that they donít drip oil when doing service.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Posting%20Pictures/Oil.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
A genuine conundrum. Oil level for both the engine and trans is correct? Pour the oil/water mixture into a clear container. Once it settles you will be able to see how much oil you are dealing with.

ORX-1
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Thats not a bad idea but I didn't think too much of it and just dumped it down the drain. If you look its not too think cause you can see the bottom of the bucket through it. I just assumed it was cause they dropped some in there when they did the service. I guess the only way to find out is to run the boat again and see if anything shows up...

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
I agree, it doesn't look like a lot of oil. Keeping you eyes open is the answer.