PDA

View Full Version : x star engine lacking serious power

gobigorgohome
05-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a 2004 X star with the 8.1 liter indmar engine. Just got the kill switch replaced as it was broken during winterization and kept killing the engine. Just took it out for the first time and the engine is lacking power big time. I topped out at about 26mph at half throttle and if i put the throttle down any further the engine does nothing. It almost seems like the throttle cable isnt pulling or something, however its lacking power from a stop too. There is no way I could pull someone out of the water boarding right now. Anyone had a similar problem or know what might be causing it? Thanks!

CruisinGA
05-24-2010, 06:43 PM
I had a similar lack of power -although not quite as bad- after pulling the boat back out this spring.

Bad sparkplug for me

snork
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Perfect Pass engaging?

gobigorgohome
05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
checked it, turned it on and ran it and off. Same thing either way. Not sure if a bad fuel pump could cause it or what,

Jerseydave
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Check your plugs and plugwires. You may have a fouled plug from the fogging oil.

Honkity Hank
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Here is my general trouble shooting list. A gas engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, air, and spark (diesels just need 2 things to run, fuel and air BTW). So I go through each of these systems and make sure they are working properly.

Fuel: Check fuel supply system, fuel filters, fuel line, gas tank, injectors
Air: Check air box, air filter, AFM
Spark: Check spark plugs, wires, coil(s), ECU if present
EMS: O2 sensor, engine management system (if one is present) may need attention, I assume on the newer motors you can download fault codes? But that is above my pay grade.

Once that is all done and checks out then the next level is to look at the mechanical parts, compression, leak down, exhaust

Craig
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Did you stabilize the gas over the winter?

Not sure if bad gas alone would cause your issue but probably wouldn't help.

1redTA
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Check the throttle positon sensor?