PDA

View Full Version : My Amp is Dead -need new one

2000XPSD
05-24-2010, 02:35 PM
i started dewinterizing and found one of my amps dead. It has power and the light is on but no output. I pretty much checked everything but it's seems to be a no go. I have a 04 factory system Clarion cmd1, 4 hull speakers 4 towers 1 sub/a clarion apx200m.2m. the amp that drives the 8 speakers is whats dead...clarion apx400m.4m. I guess i'll pick up a new one but i don't know what to get...clarion doesn't make that model anymore and the replacement (apx720???) looks like it's too powerful. Any suggestions on what's a good amp for my system?...i'm not up to par on whats out there for marine stuff. I'm not going to upgrade anything anytime soon so something that was close the 400m.4m would be good.

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
For their size, I keep eying those little Alpine amps. They are pretty well reviewed.

D3skier
05-24-2010, 03:02 PM
after getting the mega of all amps and submerging it twice already last year and still works with no issues. I really like the Cadence amps.

JimN
05-24-2010, 03:12 PM
i started dewinterizing and found one of my amps dead. It has power and the light is on but no output. I pretty much checked everything but it's seems to be a no go. I have a 04 factory system Clarion cmd1, 4 hull speakers 4 towers 1 sub/a clarion apx200m.2m. the amp that drives the 8 speakers is whats dead...clarion apx400m.4m. I guess i'll pick up a new one but i don't know what to get...clarion doesn't make that model anymore and the replacement (apx720???) looks like it's too powerful. Any suggestions on what's a good amp for my system?...i'm not up to par on whats out there for marine stuff. I'm not going to upgrade anything anytime soon so something that was close the 400m.4m would be good.

You say there's no output- are you absolutely sure it's getting input signal? Plug an iPod or something into the jacks and try it.

As far as the other amp being too powerful- you can always back off the input level controls to lower any risk of damaging your speakers.

TallRedRider
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Too powerful...that is like having too much money or being too good looking. HAHA:D

If you have the funds, then go for it. A properly tuned amplifier is unlikely to blow your speakers, even if it puts out more than they want. The opposite is actually more true, trying to push the speakers too far without enough power will blow your speakers.

But the key words here are 'properly tuned'.

2000XPSD
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
You say there's no output- are you absolutely sure it's getting input signal? Plug an iPod or something into the jacks and try it.

As far as the other amp being too powerful- you can always back off the input level controls to lower any risk of damaging your speakers.

Yup it's getting input. I can hear the sub ok so I flipflopped the RCA plugs that go to the amp inputs. The sub still worked and the speakers still did not...so it's not the input

I understand about detuning an amp...but why waste money on overkill.?

ahhudgins
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
If you decide to chuck your old amp I would be interested in taking a look at it. I will gladly pay for shipping. I'm an electronics technician (circuit board repair) and I'm looking into the cost effecitiveness of repairing audio amps as a side business. I just need to open one up to see if the parts can be crossed and how much coating is on the board. Everyone on the lake already brings me their battery chargers and AC inverters and expects "freebies".:mad:
I just tell them to go to Walmart and spend $49 on a new charger!!
Send me a PM before you throw it away!! Thanks.