PDA

View Full Version : Rope Length for wakeboarding

samgreazy
05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I just got a 2002 X-Star and am an amateur to say the least at wakeboarding. What do you all suggest on my boat would be the best length, I have the stock ballast system.

CruisinGA
05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
When I first got on the wakeboard, I ran the rope at 65ft / 19mph, then once I was working on clearing the wake, I shortened it to 60 ft, and once I could consistently clear the wake at a certain length I would let out another 5 ft.

Now I run at 75 ft and 21.5 mph. If I'm working on toe side jumps, I'll shorten the rope 5 or 10 ft to make it a little easier, eventually I'd like to be as good toe side as I am heel side.

mccobmd
05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
65 to 70 and if you are a beginner I wouldn't fill the ballast. You can easily go W2W without it on that wake. By the way the secret to going W22 is more speed.

nmcjr
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Same boat here, and I agree with what others have said, but with a slight tweak. You might first want to work on one-wake jumps at 75'. This way you won't have the second wake coming up on you as soon as you land. However, when doing this, it is very important to continue edging across the second wake and out into the flats. Don't stop in the middle because this will engrain a very bad habit of coming off edge, I learned this the hard way.

Then, once you are ready to go W2W, you really can't go too short, start as short as you can go and then just move it back and speed up a bit once you have mastered W2W at each length. If your form starts to suffer, shorten it again. Eventually, you will be at 75/22-23MPH, but you don't want to rush to get to this length because you will sacrifice form to get there. W2W at 65 is probably a good goal for your first year. You will probably find that your HS jumps and rope length will be hindered by your TS jumps, so push yourself on your TS jumps and work on them equally as much as you do your HS jumps. In other words, go back and forth across the wake and fight the temptation to only jump HS. Also, work on switch riding as well.

I would urge you to check out learnwake.com, it has been a great help to me. They have all kinds of drills to accelerate your progression. I have been to that camp twice and the coaches and instructional videos are great. You can also submit videos to the forum for analysis by the coaches, which is a close substitute being at the camp. If you do join, hit me up and I'll give you some guidance on which videos to start with.

swatguy
05-24-2010, 11:35 PM
I am with NMCJR

Buy at least a 75ft line. And don't skimp. The last a long time and a rope is the most important part. I too agree try working on one wake jumps. Then as you start getting your balance and technique down take some sections off to 60-65ft and you are good to go.

If you start trying to just clear the wake at 60ft you are going to get destroyed when you come up short. At that short of length if you don't make it across the top of the wake is super hard and will work you for sure. At 75ft when you are learning the one wake jump it is wide and flat in the middle doesn't work you so much.

BTW NMCJR,

I should have some pics for ya the weekend.