View Full Version : What was that!?!?

05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
So, I took the boat out for the second time yesterday and encountered some weird problems.... We had been running the boat for about 2 hours with no problems and my wife decided to drive so I reluctantly relinquished my seat. Well, she was driving for about 10 minutes and the engine completely died while we were going about 20mph. She had told me that it just died but I kind of wrote it off as she didn't really know what she did and it started right back up and we went on our way. Anyway, we didn't have anymore issues for the next 30-45 minutes or so. Then while I was driving at about 42mph the motor totally cut out for a second... It did not die but it completely cut out for about a second and then picked right back up again... So, the wife was right... There was something weird happening...

My thoughts: Loose connection? (Battery, cables, etc..) Fuel Pump, Injectors?

Also, my boat was running really hot for some parts of the day. Around 160 - 180 and when I had it WOT it got up to 200+. I turned the blower on and it didn't help at all... I am wondering if I need a new blower???

Thanks guys!!


05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Get a new impeller ASAP. That's where I would start along with battery connection.

05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry, but I don't know much about the 440 that is in you boat. My wild guess is electrical, but then again may be a fuel issue..........

As far as the engine temp, the bilge blower shouldn't effect engine operating temperature, it must be something in the cooling system. Maybe a failing impeller, restriction in the water flow, thermostat or something like that.

05-24-2010, 11:16 AM
short in any wire that could be rubbing on engine bolts, check all wire starting with biggest ones...

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
My boat did this at the end of last season. Turned out to be fuel delivery caused by a stuck antisiphon valve. Different boat and all, so the solution is not identical, but I would investigate the fuel delivery end of things closely.

05-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Does your boat have a kill switch?

05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Does your boat have a kill switch?

Thats what it sounds like to me. maybe she hit it by mistake.?:o

05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Sometimes they will act up when going over waves too. Any chance rough water played into this?

05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Does your boat have a kill switch?

Not sure.... there is a red button on the dash but it is not functional... it could be though...

05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
There was definitely Huge CHOP...

05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I was thinking a tether attached to a kill switch like on the newer boats. Not sure what year MC started using them. Sounds like a bad electrical connection.

05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
83, I've had similar problems in the past. As suggested previously check all the electrical connections and verify voltages, if that's ok, it may be a fuel issue. I posted on another thread the frustrating things that happened to me in this situation. Long story short I had varnish in my gas tank. The boat acted exactly like yours did, but when mine would die, it wouldn't start back up. If I waited an hour or so, it would start right up, but would only go a couple hundred feet before dying again.

05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
An 83 didn't come with a kill switch. Red button on dash is or at least was the horn button.

05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
An 83 didn't come with a kill switch. Red button on dash is or at least was the horn button.

Kill switch would have been too easy anyway.

05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
An 83 didn't come with a kill switch. Red button on dash is or at least was the horn button.

Good to know.. I'll get that working!

05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Well, sounds like change the impeller and check electrical connections are the winners, thanks guys!

05-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Good luck. I hope it's something simple and cheap!

05-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Yea, try and change your impellar each season to be sure. You may want to throw in a new t-stat while you are at it. Pretty cheap....

How was that wind yesterday?!? Dang! I still went skiing though.:D

05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
You know, yesterday wasn't that bad... Saturday on the other hand was unreal! There was so much dirt being blown around... craziness. The lines at the ramp were ridiculous... there was so much chop we just used the tubes.... and that was nuts too.

05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I didn't even try on Saturday. I was actually painting the fenders that day.....unbelievable wind!!

I skiied in a light chop yesterday (Sun) but not bad. I just needed to get out there! Felt great to put some turns in.

05-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Mine does the same thing until we get the through the first tank of gas. I've always chalked it up to the gas sitting in there all winter. Even with stabilizer I'm not confident in it. I've also always considered some kind of blockage but by the second tank of gas each season it stops acting up.