PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid Prostar 197 Owner

Cousin_Jeff
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Guys, let me first start by saying that I am a self admitting pessimist / paranoid. If any little thing happens, I immediately think the worst. I am working on it but it is what it is. :)

Yesterday I took my 2002 Prostar 197 out for the second time this year. The first time we had no issues whatsoever. Yesterday, we had no issues but the pitch or hum of the engine sounded much lower than it has in the past or even the first time we took it out this year. I checked all the guages - no issues, I checked the prop when we put it on the trailer and no dings or other issues. Am I just being paranoid or is there something I should look into further?

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Turn your stereo up louder.

I'm assuming all of your routine maintenance is up to date? Fluid levels checked out recently?

Cousin_Jeff
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
East TX, thanks I should have noted that. Yes all maintenance is up to date.

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Hard to say. Most problem noises I heard were rattles, vibrations, loud pops, and the like. I don't want to write it off, but some of the smarter people than me (and there are many) would probably do well to have a sound file to which to listen.

06197ttlq9-footer
05-24-2010, 10:46 AM
How does it sound with the motor box open? Did you do anything to the motor box? How about your air cleaner is it new? MCX? Is the belt new? What gas are you running? If the rpm's match the speed you remember, you should be fine. Assuming you have all fluids at the proper levels.

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Was there water in the bilge? Just trying to think of anything that might change the resonant qualities of the space the engine inhabits?

Cousin_Jeff
05-24-2010, 11:18 AM
The RPM's were at the same speeds I remember. Very little to no water in the bilge. Belts looked to be ok. I did feel just a slight vibration in the steering wheel at about 28mph but it did not exist at other speeds (slower or faster). I am going to double check the oil and the transmission fluid. I just had the oil changed when I serviced it at the end of the season last year. Thanks for all the responses.

SkiDog
05-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Sometimes water conditions and temps can cause different noises. You're a foiler right? Have you ever notice your foil 'whine' either after you've polished it or haven't polished it in a long time? Or even in a different body of water. All water is not the same. Just saying........

06197ttlq9-footer
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
That sounds like you had something caught in the rudder or chines. Any of your stuff missing? Anchor? Anchor rope? ski rope? Skiers? Is there anything wrapped around the prop or shaft? Is it still doing it?

Cousin_Jeff
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I kind of think you are right about something stuck in the chines or rudder. I did not have the anchor out and no one skied. I am going to check all these suggestions later this week when I have the opportunity. I did not see anything wrapped around the rudder when I checked the prop.

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
We get lily pads or fishing line wrapped around the prop sometimes, which causes a bit of a vibration (the fishing line is less noticeable).

bobx1
05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Guys, let me first start by saying that I am a self admitting pessimist / paranoid. If any little thing happens, I immediately think the worst....

Similar personality. My dealer told me it gets worse if you surf the internet because all you read about are problems. Two years ago, we had a big weekend at the camp and I get a warning buzzer on my X1. Check fluids - all OK. Gauges are fine, temp is fine, boat starts and runs fine.

So I get on the internet (while everyone else is drinking beer, eating BBQ, etc.) and after a lot of searching, I concluded it may be a low voltage alarm (which it was). Called the dealer Monday morning and he laughed and said that if everything looked OK and ran OK then most of his customers would turn up the stereo (as East TX suggested) OR find the buzzer and cut the wires and enjoy the weekend.