PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when purchasing an X-STAR 05-08

GregS
05-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying an X-Star 05-08? Common problems and or issues?

Thanks, Greg

MC X-15
05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Ballast, make sure all pumps work. Check under each seat for cracking.

GregS
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I will check the pumps and seats...anything else on these boats?

Does anyone have an option list for these boats? Std vs Opt?

GregS
05-24-2010, 10:18 AM
What is really a necissity in these boats?

slickwater1
05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
check all electronics, radio, speakers, blowers, bilge,
Water is hell on connections, I would also take out of test drive to make sure little or no vibration in prop and underwater gear.

Jerseydave
05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Here's some of the "upgrades" that I did to my '05 X-star (MCX):

*Prop change-mine came with a 13.7 X 17 OJ, I switched to a 14.75 X 15.5 OJ that I love! It gave the boat a better holeshot when fully loaded but I can still hit 40-42 mph for barefooting. I tried a 14.25 X 14.5 OJ that was also great, but lost some top speed and it's not the best prop for cruising around.

*rudder change-the '05 comes with a smaller rudder, so I replaced it with the larger (newer style) rudder (MC may have went to the larger rudder in either '06 or '07)

*ballast impeller change-replace the black impellers with the new green ones

*trailer-replaced all 4 calipers with Kodiac calipers (my old calipers were dragging, common problem on the earlier trailers)
I also replace my plastic wheel bearing caps with the newer aluminum ones (one of my plastic caps had cracked and I lost all my bearing oil)

There was a slight change in the wakeboard rack "fingers" in either '06 or '07 where MC added and extra pivot to the part that touches the wakeboard. I believe these hold the wakeboards better than the older style ('05)

Also when MC changed the tower slightly they added extra "arms" to the tower to make it more stiff. (not needed on my '05)

Ballast timers- my '05 does not have timers, but some newer X-star do and if you add extra ballast to the system you will need to reprogram the timers.

That's all I can think of at the moment. This in addition to doing normal used boat checks like a compression test, etc. I love my X-star, the wake is great. My MCX engine pushes the boat well at sea level, but if I had to do it again I would opt for the 400hp 6.0 liter. (especially if you boat at higher elevations)

-Dave

Ole Miss Rebels
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
08 with L18. reflash ECM-(CRITICAL). new softwear for vdig (maybe). tower braces. added two (2) in-line mufflers and replaced the tips with "internals" to straight tips. have had leaks at the seals where the manifold is attached to the block and where the risers and attached to the manifolds. i added a 14.75 X 15.5 prop to deal with heavy ballast and removed the stock 13.7 X 17.5 prop. didn't really need this much prop but i like the way it responds. i added a oil filter re-locator kit so i don't have to climb under the engine to remove the oil filter. swapped the ballast impellors to the green ones to prevent water from siphoning back out past the impellors. i added a Z5 cargo bimini, upgraded my stereo to wetsounds speakers and amps and 420 equalizer, added billet speaker grills for the cabin, added an extra mirror focused on the transome area, added an extra remote for the passenger seat, added two more after-market board racks to the lower rear tower legs, cabin heater, hot-water shower, transome protector, pocket buddies and trash sack, weather radar. lots of that stuff is just fluff and bling but i use it all and it makes for a more enjoyable long day on the lake.

Eagle Lake Rebel
05-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Sundeck vinyl likes to crack at the stiching due to heavy foot traffic. Overall the Star is a very solid boat that has been around a while so the quirks have been worked out.

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
*trailer-replaced all 4 calipers with Kodiac calipers (my old calipers were dragging, common problem on the earlier trailers)
I also replace my plastic wheel bearing caps with the newer aluminum ones (one of my plastic caps had cracked and I lost all my bearing oil)

I'd start here. http://obswww.unige.ch/~ekstrom/images/ArrowUp.jpg

Then, take a long test drive. Run it hard. Shut it down. Start it up. Idle around. Run it full out. Repeat. Then, take a ride behind it. Don't be afraid to crawl around every nook and cranny.

When I bought my first boat, I didn't know much about anything. I don't know all that much more these days, but when I bought my second boat, I felt like I knew pretty well what I was getting into. As a result, I've spent a lot less on fixing stuff over the last three years.

It's generic, but I used this and checked every last thing on there when I bought my last boat.

Link (http://www.tylerskiclub.com/usedboat.html)

Dad 2 3
05-25-2010, 01:05 AM
I found the below link from Silverdawg for an X45. It helped me quite a bit.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35098&highlight=checklist

Sorry, I'm not as proficient with the hyperlinks. Just paste in the above into your browser.

RWB_XSTAR
05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Lot's of good things to check above. To help plan what you may need to look into during your first year or two of ownership here was my work:

When I bought my '04 XSTAR I had to do the follwing:

New batteries...something hard to check, but they were not holding charge well
Had to replace shaft packing as it was letting too much water in
New impeller for motor and ballast pumps...they were in bad shape
Fresh Oil/Filter Change
Transmission Fluid, mine had a little water in it
Waterproof the cover as it was not doing well in rain

After a year of use I:

Oil Change and New Plugs
Engine Re-Alignment as it was knocking a bit
Fuel Sender Unit needed replacment
Throttle Cable Needed replacement (seeing it broke)

Jerseydave
05-25-2010, 08:45 PM
If I could just point out some differences between '04 and '05 X-stars:

'05 was the first year for drive-by-wire so no throttle cable problems.
It was also the first year for JL speakers (instead of Clarion) and swivel board racks.

GregS
05-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Boy there is a ton of junk out in the market....I guess some people must have made some stupid money...and then did not take care of their boat!!! I am surprised to see people buying 80-100k boat and then destroy it. I really would like to find a nice 08.

Hangar Pilot
08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Has the hull design changed from 2004 and up?

Ole Miss Rebels
08-09-2010, 12:12 AM
zero hull changes. no interior changes that amount to anything

rektek
08-09-2010, 01:26 AM
why so many of the new style xstars for sale ? when doing a search boat trader, craigslist, inboards only, it's xstars 2-1 over any other mastercraft for sale. and lots of beat xstars.

scharette
08-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Guys,
would you say the x-2 is a smaller version of an X-star ?

snork
08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Guys,
would you say the x-2 is a smaller version of an X-star ?

No comparison to the X Star

Ole Miss Rebels
08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
wakeboard behind an xstar and then an x2. i have never ridden behind a current x2 but i have heard that it's wake is poor-to-middin' at best, even with a lot of ballast. maybe someone can confirm or deny this statment from first-hand experience. i am curious to know myself. i do like the xstar's wake and most people who ride behind one seem to like it also.

Willytown
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I have owned both and the star wake is way better than the x2 imo. The x2 is a better designed boat (similar characterisitcs to the x25). Its only 20 ft and probably has the same interior room as the xstar. It also site higher in the bow and handles rough water better. The xstar has a better wake, x2 probably when it comes to the actual boat itself

vision
08-09-2010, 05:26 PM
why so many of the new style xstars for sale ? when doing a search boat trader, craigslist, inboards only, it's xstars 2-1 over any other mastercraft for sale. and lots of beat xstars.

One of the most poplar wake boats from 2005 to 2008 is my guess.

scharette
08-09-2010, 10:47 PM
okay, then for a hardcore wakeboarder X-star is the best and X-2 is more all around. Is it true that the X-star wakesurf wake is not very good ?

vision
08-10-2010, 12:15 AM
okay, then for a hardcore wakeboarder X-star is the best and X-2 is more all around. Is it true that the X-star wakesurf wake is not very good ?

Not a bad surf wake, but not a great surf wake. I however can not compare it to the modern X2. But our X-star's surf wake is not as good as our older X-2/X-1/orig X-star could produce.

ridesdirt
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
X-Star surfs OK, the wave is short. You ride close to the boat. Check the watersports setion, there was a great thread on weighting the X-Star for sufing. One guy had a huge surf wave.

As far as reliability goes, my X-Star has been rock solid. Mine is an '07 and has the tower braces as metioned earlier, no complaints here...