PDA

View Full Version : Major Issues Today! Need Lots Of Help...

liquidforceb069
05-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Put the boat in today and something is going on... Idles fine starts to run good but when it starts going faster all of a sudden it revs high and than like catches and keeps going. Like the tranny is slipping or maybe the prop. Once it gets going though it doesn't do it. Just around like 15mph... My rpm guage doesn't work so. Don't know exactly when it does it.. If I'm going slow and I pin it, it will do it about 3x til it starts getting up to speed! I figured I start by checking the tranny fluid.. But that should be fine. There's a dent in my prop. Someone said prop wash maybe??? But that was there last year and it never did this...

Kyle
05-24-2010, 05:11 AM
If your prop is not destroyed then you have either pump pressure issues in your tranny. Check your fluid. If your fluid is fine then you may have a bad pump. If you have a lot of grey material very fine in your tranny then you may have bad clutch plates. If you have to bring rpm up and it slams into gear then I bet you have a bad front pump in your tranny.

Kyle
05-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Oh and if you know how to use tools then you have a $200 fix and about 2 or 3 hours a head of you. Not too bad and defanitly not major if you have a bad front pump. If your clutches are bad then you will have to tear down the tranny. Still it is not too bad of a job but you have got to be able to use tools and remember how to take things apart and put them back together. I have a shop manual for a borg warner tranny if you need pics.

hkallestad
05-24-2010, 06:28 AM
You probably know this, but just to be sure:

When did you check the fluid level? If you go by the scale on the dipstick you must read it right after an engine shut down, because the fluid drains back from the cooler. If you read the fluid level when the engine has been off for a little while the fluid level should be above the max level on the dipstick.

liquidforceb069
05-29-2010, 02:20 PM
okay... so i ran the boat then checked the fluid. right after it was ran it said it was full. then i cleaned the stick put it back in and checked and nothing was on there... so its really that low?? i noticed if i accelerate slowly it doesnt do it at all.. but if i do it fast or normal as if u were pulling a wakeboarder out of the water it does it.. its so weird. so ill add some fluid later than check it again... also now on the front after i shut the boat off it leaks water out of the bottom where the impeller is.. back a ways. is that a bad pump? and could that make it do this? thanks for all the help. im not good with boat issues!

TMCNo1
05-29-2010, 03:12 PM
okay... so i ran the boat then checked the fluid. right after it was ran it said it was full. then i cleaned the stick put it back in and checked and nothing was on there... so its really that low?? i noticed if i accelerate slowly it doesnt do it at all.. but if i do it fast or normal as if u were pulling a wakeboarder out of the water it does it.. its so weird. so ill add some fluid later than check it again... also now on the front after i shut the boat off it leaks water out of the bottom where the impeller is.. back a ways. is that a bad pump? and could that make it do this? thanks for all the help. im not good with boat issues!

Must be the rear seal on the pump is bad, just replace the pump from a MC dealer or here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA057023

liquidforceb069
05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
but could that make the boat do that? i wouldnt think...

TMCNo1
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
but could that make the boat do that? i wouldnt think...

No, the raw water pump would not make the boat hesitate, but low transmission fluid level will. The rear raw water pump seal can go without notice for no apparent reason on any boat at any time, yet some will never leak or fail, go figure.

liquidforceb069
05-29-2010, 04:45 PM
huh thats crazy.. yeah it ended up being the tranny fluid. thats rediculous though now i feel like an idiot. we put the same in that we did the year before.. so i dunno. thanks