PDA

View Full Version : Portable Slalom Course

shepherd
06-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm still looking for a slalom course in NW Florida, but I'm thinking about buying a portable course if I can't find one. Anybody have any experience with those? Are they worth the money or too much trouble? I actually made a home-made portable course once, but it was only in the water for a week before someone stole it :mad: . Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Anybody want to ski in the Panama City area, let me know :woohoo:

Flatwaterfooter
06-24-2005, 02:45 PM
I have one and after you learn how to put it in and take it out you can do it in about 20 minutes. It is a pain to load into the boat and transport it and it can make a mess in the boat.

I would like to find a submersible course, but I can not find anyone that makes them.

east tx skier
06-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Accusink is no longer being made unfortunately.

My course is anchored in shallow water with subs. I takes longer to put in than a portable, but less time to take out.

With more than one person in the water, I think we could have it in in less than 45 minutes. With one person in the water, we can get it up in 15.

John B
06-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I have a Insta-Slalom and it works great.
It takes me 30 min. to put it out, and about the same to bring it in. That is with the balls weight down, and a mini course. If we try to go too fast something get skewed up.
You need three people to set the course out,a driver ,someone for the main line, and someone to put the booms out.
The thing about putting in a course in you need permission for the lake authorities.

rodltg2
06-24-2005, 03:07 PM
i built mine and it works great. wouldnt do it again though big pain and i think i ended up spending more money that if i bought. ez-slalom has great prices.

east tx skier
06-24-2005, 03:12 PM
The thing about putting in a course in you need permission for the lake authorities.

I knew I forgot something.

shepherd
06-24-2005, 03:15 PM
i built mine and it works great. wouldnt do it again though big pain and i think i ended up spending more money that if i bought. ez-slalom has great prices.
Yeah, when I built mine it wasn't cheap... probably didn't save much, like you said.

John B - do you need permission even for a temporary portable course? Hopefully, the rules here in FL are different. I guess I'll have to do some research. Maybe I should check what it would take to get permission for a permanent course.

John B
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure if it is in for just one day.
Mine is in Monday thru Friday.
I had to go to a MWD meeting and they gave me the OK and told me where to set it up.
I'm on a public lake and the course is public.
I can not tell anybody that they can't use it.
A course on a public lake is public domain, in most cases that is.

east tx skier
06-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Ours is on a public lake and if anyone ever ventured over there, there's nothing to prevent them from using it. Of course, there's nothing to prevent me from walking out there and unclipping the buoys if I see anyone abusing it.

We had it out for 13 days straight a week ago and to my knowledge, nobody even sniffed it. Lot of stumps on that lake. None around the course, but the don't know that.

Could it be that people believe the sign I have that says, "Caution! Buoys mark water mocassin nests."

Kidding of course.

Flatwaterfooter
06-27-2005, 10:45 AM
If we leave ours in we ahve PWC's using it all day long. They have even followed the boat down when we were running the course. That did not go over well.

I had heard that Accu-sink ( I believe they are the ones that did the submersible course) sold the patent and someone may still be making it. Anyone know of who it could be?

east tx skier
06-27-2005, 11:27 AM
If you find out who's making it, please post it. We are fortunate to be secluded enough on a lake with lots of stumps on it that the yahoo's on the jet skis don't show up at our site. Also helps that the boat road ends (with a sign that says "end of the road" right by our course." I sit out there sometimes and watch people approach, see that sign, and turn around. Always makes me smile.

shepherd
06-27-2005, 05:15 PM
If we leave ours in we ahve PWC's using it all day long. They have even followed the boat down when we were running the course. That did not go over well.

I had heard that Accu-sink ( I believe they are the ones that did the submersible course) sold the patent and someone may still be making it. Anyone know of who it could be?
PWC's -- I know what you mean. I've had them enter one end of the course while I was entering the other end (for a return pass)! My driver (wife) is a very nervous person so bailed out. I would have played chicken with them if I was driving. Oh well, we're all just having fun...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Could it be that people believe the sign I have that says, "Caution! Buoys mark water mocassin nests."

Kidding of course.

BWAHHAHAH!! Almost spit my drink out on that one!!! :purplaugh :uglyhamme

Way too funny!!! Thats a great idea man! I dont think trick is gonna work for me on Lake superior ;)

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Actually, if I really had that sign, people would start shooting the buoys. A low profile is what keeps our course off the radar.

jamisonsbrodie
06-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I use an insta-slalom at our lake cabin, and it works great. Technically, as long I don't leave it in overnight I don't need a permit. The lake we are on doesn't have any narrow areas to put a permanent course, other wise that would be the way to go. I have had some complaints from people for leaving it up, but most people are OK with it. Closer to home I ski on a submersible course on a smaller lake. I wish I could live on that lake, but an average home starts @ $900K.

skier8381
07-27-2005, 06:09 PM
I have an EZ Slalom and have used it on 3 houseboat trips on Lake Shasta, CA. Only took us 45 min. the first time we set it up. Worked great!! Only complaint is it is bulky to carry around. A custom bag would make sense.

gimmemoedmb
08-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Jamison - Is that lake just south of Minnetonka? I live in Mound and have been looking for some courses around here and have heard of a couple. I've never tried a course but I've been dying to. It should be a little easier to make that happen when I get my own boat next year. I'm also thinking about getting a portable course for up at the cabin.

jimmer2880
08-01-2005, 08:06 AM
don't know if you're on a lake or river - but if you're on a river.....

Yesterday, I skied a friend of mine's new (to him anyway - bought off ebay) port-a-slalom. The problem is - it's the "lake" edition and we are in a river. I felt like Dr. Jim Michaels skiing around bouys that were about 2' closer since they were arched by the current :eek:

good news is I cracked out my personal best in the first set in a course of the season! Bad news is - that extra 2' of each ball makes a BIG difference!

shepherd
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I know what your talking about. We used to ski on the upper Patuxent River up there in MD. That river has a mean current when the tide is coming in/going out (can't even paddle a broken down boat into it :o ). We tried to lay out a home-made slalom course and those PVCs almost bent in half. We gave up and got into skiing another guy's permanent course down the river after I bought my Mastercraft (he didn't want any I/Os messing up his course). So the dimensions were right but we still had to compensate for the current -- those upstream passes were easy!

I haven't picked out a good spot down here yet, but it will be either in the Bay or on a lake.

jamisonsbrodie
08-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Jamison - Is that lake just south of Minnetonka? I live in Mound and have been looking for some courses around here and have heard of a couple. I've never tried a course but I've been dying to. It should be a little easier to make that happen when I get my own boat next year. I'm also thinking about getting a portable course for up at the cabin.

Lotus lake in Chanhassen! It's a private course and you have to be with one of the owners.

gimmemoedmb
08-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh well, I'm sure I'll find one one of these days. It will be a lot easier when I actually have my own boat!

BuoyChaser
08-22-2005, 03:32 PM
The former owner of Accusink (or Accu Sink or Accu-sink) is Ken Moody, who this past fall/winter moved his business to St. Petersburg FL to sell his Air Dock Boat Lifts, check them out at http://www.airdock.com/

Try calling Ken directly at 727-577-0151. Last I talked with him early this summer no-one had bought the patent and/or the rights to build the submarines, the truly unique feature of the Submersible Course.

Ken's recommendations were to look on eBay or get lucky finding the 22 (26 with pre-gates) submarines required to build the system.

The best bang for your buck on the market is to call up Ed at EZ-Slalom, he's got a bomb-proof system at http://www.ez-slalom.com and with an experienced crew (3 people) you can set up the course in 20minutes and take down in 15-20 minutes.