PDA

View Full Version : Question about rubber exhaust flaps

scottyfum
05-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi, i have an 2001 Mastercraft X-Star and I have a question. This might be a stupid one but what are the purposes of the ruber exhaust flaps? I am a new owner of this boat and I assume they keep the noise levels down, but I may be wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scott

1redTA
05-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I believe they help keep water out of the exhaust

east tx skier
05-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I believe they help keep water out of the exhaust

This is correct. More specifically, they are to keep water from forcefully entering the exhaust, i.e., they are not designed to seal tightly.

scottyfum
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I noticed they do not seal tight so is there that much of a down side if they are removed. The reason why I am asking because mine are ripped and I want to go out ridding tomorow. I can't think of any way this can damage the engine so I removed them until I get my new ones in or make new ones. Thanks. Scott

broncotw
05-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I would be hesitant to run my boat without the exhaust flappers on.... I think they are there for a reason and if they were not needed MC would not install them in the first place..... Just my thoughts bro....

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I noticed they do not seal tight so is there that much of a down side if they are removed. The reason why I am asking because mine are ripped and I want to go out ridding tomorow. I can't think of any way this can damage the engine so I removed them until I get my new ones in or make new ones. Thanks. Scott

Without them there, you could get a surge of water up through the exhaust and possibly get as far as your engine. Worst case scenario would be to hydro-lock your engine. Get out a roll of duct tape and make them work. Then get some from your dealer or get them from skidim.

east tx skier
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Do not remove them.