PDA

View Full Version : 2010 ipod connectivity issues...Anyone else?

Silverdawg
05-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Had the X45 out last week and could not get the ipod to play through the USB. Found out from my dealer, through Mastercraft that recently produced boats are having issues using this port. It says "no media" and obviously is not reading the connection. I also found out the USB port by the helm is more for engine diagnostics than it is for music use.

Apparently is it the newer ipods and 3gs iphones. Might be in the head units of the stereo, and MC is looking for a fix.

I will try the 3.5 mm cable that I use on my Harley to see if that will work.

Anyone else heard of this or having the same issues?

cdstukey
05-23-2010, 12:37 AM
My iphone 3g plays just fine. My older 30GB ipod (5th gen) doesn't. I just figured it was running an older version of itunes or something that the head unit didn't like.
I was told the usb under the throttle was just a service port.

Silverdawg
05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Tried it today with my nano and a 3.5 mm cable. The left channel did not put out any sound. It may have been the cable was not deep enough into the nano to pick up both tracks. Have the problem on my iphone with certain headsets that do not have a "deep" plug. Will keep trying new alternatives until I take the boat in for its 10 hour service. Too freaking windy in DFW to get here out.

smsbrett
05-23-2010, 11:37 PM
So can anyone confirm that the USB on the lower dash is just for service? I would love to be able to plug my iPhone in there so I can listen to music but also have it handy to take calls (ie people showing up at the house while I'm on the water).

As for your initial question, I haven't noticed problems. My iPhone and my brother's older nano seemed to work fine.

Red Dragons
05-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Tried it today with my nano and a 3.5 mm cable. The left channel did not put out any sound. It may have been the cable was not deep enough into the nano to pick up both tracks. Have the problem on my iphone with certain headsets that do not have a "deep" plug. Will keep trying new alternatives until I take the boat in for its 10 hour service. Too freaking windy in DFW to get here out.

I had the same problem with mine but just had to play with the connections at the ipod and at the boat.

Did you try the USB port in the glove box? Mine works from there but can't remember if it works from the helm or not.

Silverdawg
05-24-2010, 06:15 PM
I had the same problem with mine but just had to play with the connections at the ipod and at the boat.

Did you try the USB port in the glove box? Mine works from there but can't remember if it works from the helm or not.

Yes, it read "no media". MC has identified this as a problem with recent production boats.

Captain Fronk
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
yes -- the USB under the Dash has nothing to do with the stereo system
You have to use the USB in the Glove box.
But you could extend the USB Port from the Glovebox elsewhere by simply add USB extention Cable to where every you need it.

Btw: my old iPod mini and ipod photo does not work either on the 2010 X45 ... error 11 or error 2

no solution found yet. I will try with a lates iPod and then check with my Dealer

Cheers
Captain Fronk

Captain Fronk
06-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi I found a compatibility list here:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/compatibility/ipod/2009_Marine/index.html

a lot of old devices are not supported

cheers Captain Fronk

doubleup_dan
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
why use the usb over the 3.5 jack especialy if you can only use the one in the glove box?

smsbrett
06-07-2010, 08:18 PM
why use the usb over the 3.5 jack especialy if you can only use the one in the glove box?

Because if you use USB, you can control the iPod from the driver's remote.

I guess you could just use the direct controls on the iPod itself, but then it would be out and potentially get wet or damaged.

johkur
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
You also have an option on the clarion to control the ipod from the ipod instead of the controls. I used that when I connected by 160gb ipod, since I figured it would take too long to learn that much music in the clarion.
But when I use a usb stick in the same spot (the usb in the glove box), has anyone figured a way to search by artist, etc, or really just always start from the beginning and skip one track at a time to get anywhere else?

Eric2010MCX2
06-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Mine will play my iTunes but when I try to stream pandora, the clarion unit pauses and won't let pandora play. Any pointers on this one I didn't even upload but like 5 songs on iTunes b/c we just use pandora all the time.

Silverdawg
06-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Found out someone at the factory did not connect the usb cables under the glove box. We found two connectors unplugged. Easy fix, but this should not happen. Quality control was definitely lacking. At least it was an easy fix. All works fine.