PDA

View Full Version : not a good weekend

slickwater1
05-22-2010, 08:11 PM
well was just trying to put on my brand new bimini top for the prostar. and broke the side glass in my 190. it is a 93 and was wondering how and where to buy a replacement glass. any suggestions? please help it is breaking my heart

SkiDog
05-22-2010, 08:16 PM
well was just trying to put on my brand new bimini top for the prostar. and broke the side glass in my 190. it is a 93 and was wondering how and where to buy a replacement glass. any suggestions? please help it is breaking my heart

Jim@BAWS knows where to get them.

slickwater1
05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
thanks skidog, how much we talking and have you had to do this before?

TMCNo1
05-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Check here too, http://www.oceandynamics.com/, but have a big checkbook either place.

If it's flat, most any local auto windshield company can cut you a piece if you can take the frame sections apart around the damaged glass. Be sure to take a piece of the glass with you, to get a exact match in color/tint. kind and a exact pattern of the glass piece, so it will fit exactly. If it's curved it will take a specialty glass company as mentioned to make it. Good luck.

SkiDog
05-22-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks skidog, how much we talking and have you had to do this before?

I got no idea, but I do know he is the man when it comes to older windshields and such. 813-996-BAWS. Tell him I sent ya!

TX.X-30 fan
05-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Check here too, http://www.oceandynamics.com/, but have a big checkbook either place.

If it's flat, most any local auto windshield company can cut you a piece if you can take the frame sections apart around the damaged glass. Be sure to take a piece of the glass with you, to get a exact match in color/tint. kind and a exact pattern of the glass piece, so it will fit exactly. If it's curved it will take a specialty glass company as mentioned to make it. Good luck.

Expensive yes..................... How do they cut tempered glass??

east tx skier
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Very carefully!

Slick, it was good to talk to you. When you call Jim, please, please, please be sure to tell him it's for a 93 Anniversary Model. Tell him it says so on your windshield panel that needs to be replaced. ;)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/25thAnivSticker3b.jpg

TMCNo1
05-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Expensive yes..................... How do they cut tempered glass??

The same way they cut it one off glass pieces for restored antique and classic cars, street rods, pro street cars, motor coachs and any other auto glass that is not readily available or available any more.

SkiDog
05-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Very carefully!

Slick, it was good to talk to you. When you call Jim, please, please, please be sure to tell him it's for a 93 Anniversary Model. Tell him it says so on your windshield panel that needs to be replaced. ;)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/25thAnivSticker3b.jpg

Isn't that just a decal? thats what that one looks like.:confused:

slickwater1
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/slickwater1/windshield1.jpg
Just makes me sick.

slickwater1
05-22-2010, 11:05 PM
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/slickwater1/windshield.jpg
hey doug it goes alittle higher? lol man what a day.

SkiDog
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/slickwater1/windshield1.jpg
Just makes me sick.

That won't be cheap to replace!

slickwater1
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
just keep pouring that salt in the wound there dog. lol I know it aint goin to be pretty. think anyone would have a parts boat for sale. cheap. I am always needing something.

east tx skier
05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Isn't that just a decal? thats what that one looks like.:confused:

Yes, it is an "etched" decal IIRC.

east tx skier
05-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Just remember, go as high as you can on that frame next time. :o

Sorry I never mentioned that before. I didn't install mine.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/SideBimini-1.jpg?t=1274584830

FoggyNogginz
05-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry to hear it SkiDog. I was cursing just looking at it man. Good luck!

Footin
05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I broke the side window on my 205 a few years back and MC had the replacement in stock.

I had to buy the frame and glass, I think it was about 200 bucks. My glass was a bit smaller than yours.

Footin
05-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Here is what happen to me:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3985

mayo93prostar
05-23-2010, 11:15 PM
slick, fyi, I mounted my bimini on my 93 prostar on the fiberglass of the hull just below where you drilled the windshield frame, just for this reason to avoid breaking the glass and the bimini works fine where it is. sorry do not have pic readily available. good luck finding replacement.

glassmaster
05-24-2010, 01:11 AM

glassmaster
05-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Did you get the other mount on or was that the first hole you drilled? If it was the first hole I would replace the glass repair the hole in the frame and mount it to the cap. That would suck if you broke the other side as well.
Is it normal to attach a bimini mount on a windshield frame :confused:
I would think that attaching it to the hull would be a lot sturdier. I would be nervious that the glass would bust crossing wakes or vibration from the straps from the wind.
Holes in the gel coat are a lot cheaper and easier to fix than a winshield :twocents:
Sorry for your misfortune.

slickwater1
05-24-2010, 08:52 AM
the way that this top is designed, it is made to attach there. this was the first hole but after careful examination and talking to my new buddy Doug, I finished the project yesterday. No further problems the top looks great and is exactly what I wanted it to be. now just need some glass.

oxberger
05-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Sorry to read about your troubles slick. I know how frustrtaing and how big a PIA it can be. I had the windshield of my '85 bust out. Good luck in your search. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find a replacement.

KHall
05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Did you get the other mount on or was that the first hole you drilled? If it was the first hole I would replace the glass repair the hole in the frame and mount it to the cap. That would suck if you broke the other side as well.
Is it normal to attach a bimini mount on a windshield frame :confused:
I would think that attaching it to the hull would be a lot sturdier. I would be nervious that the glass would bust crossing wakes or vibration from the straps from the wind.
Holes in the gel coat are a lot cheaper and easier to fix than a winshield :twocents:
Sorry for your misfortune.

The bimini is mounted to the windshield frame on my X2. Works quite well and my boat has pretty much always been used for wakeboarding w/ lots of ballast. Only problem is the screws backing out, this could be fixed with loctight if i would ever stop using the boat and actually work on it.

KHall
05-24-2010, 06:08 PM
the way that this top is designed, it is made to attach there. this was the first hole but after careful examination and talking to my new buddy Doug, I finished the project yesterday. No further problems the top looks great and is exactly what I wanted it to be. now just need some glass.

Sorry about the glass, but glad to hear the top worked out well for you.

slickwater1
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
well it looks like we will be letting the wind blow our hair this summer. Talked to a few folks and no windows available. Had someone tell me that they could make me a plexi replacement for $400. sounded steep to me.

east tx skier
05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I hate that you are having trouble finding a replacement pane. Just keep looking. It is out there somewhere. I need to start sending a warning with those measurements. Since I had mine installed by a dealer, it just doesn't occur to me like it should.

slickwater1
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
hey doug,
no problem man I promise no biggy, that stuff just happens. It is like i told my wife, If we would have carried it to someone, chances are they would have broken it also. and by the way, I ended up mounting it in the crease of the frame anyway. it looks decent and works great. all I really wanted anyway.

slickwater1
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
talked to Rambo this afternoon, said that finding a replacement was going to be next to impossible. Really struggling this afternoon looking at her with a broke glass. anyone got any ideas, suggestions, etc. Right now I am really lost on where to look next.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Did you check with the guys at Ocean Dynamics as TMCNo1 suggested earlier in this thread?

slickwater1
05-26-2010, 08:49 AM
I have looked at there web page, but have not called them. They are prob. going to need the frame and I would like to keep my boat together for the remainder of the summer. But this fall I will take it apart and send it to someone with glass making capabilities. I can have one made, several places do that, but I was just trying to find one that was already made to purchase retail and just replace.

DooSPX
05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I think I want to cry now! :( :(

Jim@BAWS is the man. He got me one for my 91.

JMann
05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
For the summer what if you cut a pieces of 1/16" clear plex and dropped it in. I think it would hold that curve no problem in the frame. At least this way it looks like it has a window in it.

Go to tap plastics get a piece of 1/16" clear plex 1" bigger than you need. Use a sharpe to mark your shape and trim with a jig saw or band saw. It might rattle around a little but it will get you through the summer for under $50.

Good Luck