PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tabs

bturner2
05-22-2010, 04:10 PM
OK it's now close to summer up here. Is there any news on if MC is going to come out with a retrofit kit for surf tabs on any of the early model boats? Specifically the 06 - 08 X2's.

Would love to get a set installed before summer vacation if possible. Seems like it'd be some easy cash for MC or MCBD to scoop up.

Silverdawg
05-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I know why they can't on a 2009 X35 with underwater lights. They are in the exact spot where the tabs should go. This may be the case in other models as well with the lights.

smsbrett
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the most recent newsletter from Action Water Sports (since I see you are in Brighton) did list surf tabs as a new option for people to add. Give them a call.

bturner2
05-24-2010, 06:49 AM
I'll call Bruce today and see what the deal is. I need to go up and get a set of the latest ballast impellers anyways. Was hoping someone would chime in with a formal announcement but I'll see what Action has to say. Thanks.

jbkriss
05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Last I heard from my dealer (a couple months ago), MC and Lenco were working on the retrofit for boats without BIG display... Working to not let the tabs be deployed over 15 mph. I know the VDIG has a trim tab function, so it should hopefully tie into that. I don't have trim tabs on the x-star so the funtion is just dormant on mine. Will be nice to eventually incorproate the surf tabs into the VDIG.

bturner2
05-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Didn't see the last entry and called the dealer today. Got the same answer about the speed and possible instability when a single tab is deployed at greater than 25 MPH. Makes sense that this could be an issue and that someone would sue after flipping their boat during a 45 MPH run while one tab was deployed. I would think a simple logic circuit tied into the PP would work and not take too long to design. Hopefully we'll see something before the end of summer.

madmuffin
05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I have inquired a few times at my Mastercraft dealership this spring and have always been told the new surf tabs are NOT an option for my 2007 X-30. One reason was there was no metal back-plate to support and withstand the stress.

bturner2
05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
No one has mentioned hull structure on the X2. Adding backing plates isn't very hard to do. I glassed in backing plates for a tower installation on my 95 MariStar. Basically made a template from cardboard of the shape I needed and had some 1/4" aluminum cut to match the shape. I used some 3M bedding compound to fit them in place then glassed over them. Never had a problem with the tower. I'm sure you could do something similar with any other location on the boat.

The other option I was looking at was to just buy the MC tabs and then buy the switch assembly from Lenco. Not sure if that's all that is needed for a complete installation though (i.e is there a control box or wiring harness that's required?). I'll probably wait a month and see what MC comes up with. After that I may have to get creative.

jbkriss
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
I heard MC tested some on a [pre-2010] x-star recently. Anyone know when they'll be ready for release? I'm getting antsy to try these things out.

deminimis
08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I heard MC tested some on a [pre-2010] x-star recently. Anyone know when they'll be ready for release? I'm getting antsy to try these things out.

Any news???

ShamrockIV
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
my mc dealer said he would put some on my 02 x30. they are going ont his winter!!

deminimis
08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Okay folks. I finally found a pic of a new X-Star with the tabs. I'm going to do this myself. Since I'm nowhere near a dealer, can anyone tell me the size of the tabs used on a X-Star? Looks to be 9 x 12 or 12 x12 edge mount from the pics, but the pics are from a distance, so I suppose I'm really just guessing. Thanks!!

deminimis
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Bueler? Perhaps 9x9???

Captain Fronk
08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi
I thing the Tabs MC uses are always the same on every Model...

I recommend to go to a dealer that sells Lenco Parts .. here are the Part numbers that you need to build your own retrofit kit....

Lenco # 4090055 Set no tabs
Lenco # 20143-001, tab, Standard, 9" x 24"

a) Switch / Electronic Module 4090060
b) OR Switch / Electronic Module with LED 4090061

I did not relaized it, because I bought a 2010 X45 ....

Bye Captain Fronk

deminimis
08-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks Fronk. Actually got "the word" this AM. For my X-Star, the 12x9 edgemount tabs are the ticket. The install requires at least 11" for the actuator, so that places the actuator pretty close to the swim deck. I figure there's a pretty good chance I'll have to modify my teak deck to do the install. Here are images of a '10 X-Star with them. Although the shots don't focus on the tabs, its a good start as a reference.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Gm7efbhgCYU/TGR0JbFEDoI/AAAAAAAAAIE/xfUnQSFPmFw/Surf%20tabs.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Gm7efbhgCYU/TGR0JUHTy1I/AAAAAAAAAII/FqF1izXClp8/Surf%20tabs2.jpg

bturner2
08-13-2010, 07:02 AM
How do you plan to do the switches? Are you buying them from MC?

deminimis
08-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Sr. Turner, my boat is not burdened with the TV like that found in the new boats. Further, it is my understanding MC does not recommend retro fitting older boats (makes sense with this sue-happy society). I do not recommend this modification either! With posteriors appropriately covered now , I'll be buying the tabs from whatever supplier is the cheapest. As far as the switch, I'll use Lenco's simple LED switch. Trim tabs have been a common fixture on boats for decades, so the big concern about having the tabs return to the up position when the boat exceeds x speed, is not a big concern for me. Sadly, I don't have a whole lot of season left (couple of months at best), thus this will be a Winter project. I have often wondered if I made a mistake buying such a specific-used boat (beyond reproach for WB but surfing, not so much). The prospect of being able to shape a wave and move the pocket further back, without any adverse effects to the boat's wakeboarding prowess, goes a long way to alleviating this little concern that's been bugging me.

ridesdirt
08-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I have often wondered if I made a mistake buying such a specific-used boat (beyond reproach for WB but surfing, not so much). The prospect of being able to shape a wave and move the pocket further back, without any adverse effects to the boat's wakeboarding prowess, goes a long way to alleviating this little concern that's been bugging me.

Well said Sir.

I would also like to install the tabs on my boat, an '07 X-Star. My season still has some time left in it, so if you start your project before I do, please keep us posted on the progress. And please include your material sources and pictures of the install.

deminimis
08-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks. Will do. Hoping to make a great boat even greater!!

turbosdad
01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
did we make any progress here??

deminimis
01-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Not by me. Its been all bikes since the water got cold. Anyone have a spare YZ85 clutch basket laying around? Wait, where am I?

turbosdad
01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
yep, what kind of bike you got??

deminimis
01-28-2011, 11:48 PM
I added a 950 Super Enduro to my stable this Winter. I got The Girl a YZ85 yesterday, but I've got some work ahead me on that one.

Captain Fronk
02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi
with the Hull like the X-Star or X30 or X45 I recommend a supporting construction.
Originally the X45 Surftab mount allow only 2 inch from lift up to down ... this makes ZERO difference for the wake ... it is worthless.
With the new construction, the way from up and down is more than 8 inch. I did testdrive it ... so I will let you know mid of may

http://zhmmnw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pkR8XvaLhUNWA6y9vnHnbY5cMEyZD9haAugkd8mIXtHC4GD4 Dg0M1yAJSUrEUjhrQhV1G7ZjGuocaHW3H_dzPvvM5-f5yRsfj/IMG_9876.JPG?psid=1

deminimis
07-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Well bringing this back. I have yet to undertake the surf tab project. I tore my hamstring so I'm presently down and out. Might be a good time to consider this mod. However, I've read some reports (don't think it was the X-Star) that the tabs were a waste of money. If anyone can provide a bang-for-the-buck report regarding tabs on a XStar, please do. Thanks.

krutzmart
07-25-2011, 06:18 PM
I have all of the parts needed to put tabs on the x star.

I have been kicking it around and have decided not to do it.

So if you are and need parts ?

9x12 lenco tabs with the acuators, digital controll. plug n play.

The only thing need is a mount welded on the tab as you see in the white x star pics on here with tabs

I called that dealer in Tenn. He measured those tabs for me prior to odering the ones I have.

I have a couple of detailed pics for you to see.
I have posted these on another site.

deminimis
07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Krutz, thanks. I'm going to pass on doing this mod now.

twt star
04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Did you ever put the tabs on the X Star?: