PDA

View Full Version : Thompson's Water Sealer for Dock

fatthmjr
05-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Has anyone used Thompson's Water Sealer for their dock? I'd like to keep the natural color of the wood...so I am going with the clear. I've used Behr Natural 300 on our deck on the house and I think it is a bit darker than we'd like for the dock....are there any other options?

any feedback on this stuff, recomendations? The wood has been on for about 45 days...I think i am going to start next weekend so that will be just at 50 something days....here is a picture of the dock

BGcraft
05-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Might suggest something with more penetrating and UV protection power...Flood, Cabot, and Sikkens make very good stuff. Actually nothing wrong with Behr products just think previously mentioned brands little higher-end/superior.

IMO, water sealers/deck stains one of those items you get what u pay for. TWS probably just not going to last that long and would require re-apply annually if not sooner. Dock/deck environment pretty harsh with sun, water, etc...higher-end oil based (linseed oil) products are going to last much much longer say 3-5 years. Rather be skiing & boating than dinking around with staining/sealing!!

Lastly, any product you use is going to darken wood slightly. Most brands going to offer a clear or transparent. Shoot by your local HD or Lowes ask them to let you test offerings/colors on a sample piece of wood. Might even offer sample/tester cans.

Good luck, hope you get the product and look you're after.

P.S. Nice dock!

fatthmjr
05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the reply... I've heard of Cabot's, but I didn't see it at HD today...is another big chain that carries it?

skihard111
05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Penofin Or Sikkens Srd Is The Way To Go. Clean And Hit It Every Other Year. Do Not Use The Film Forming Finish Sikkens Unluss You Can Sea L All 6 Sides Of The Board. Ifits Aready Down The Answer To This Question Is No Anyway. Thompsons Is A Waste Of Time Being High Bead For About A Month Then The Sun Bakes It Away. Its Garbage...parrafin Wax And Paint Thinner.

Honkity Hank
05-23-2010, 08:42 AM
In general the effectiveness of a clear sealer is determined by the amount of solids in the product. The downside to clear sealers is that they degrade with UV exposure. Thompsons has a great marketing campaign and brand awareness but in my experience is not a good product. Better choices out there. The Porter paint product (and similar from Pittsburg Paint) is excellent. Follow mfr's instructions and you will get results.

Joseph
05-23-2010, 11:06 PM
you can get cabots at lowes. Gorgeous dock BTW.

atlfootr
05-23-2010, 11:20 PM
DON'T use Thompson or Behr, both are way over rated .... if anything look into this.
http://www.sealnlock.com/

We use it all the time for sealing pavers, I imagine it'd hold up on wood as well.
There's a number you can call to find out, the company's out of Tampa.