PDA

View Full Version : long awaited day...

milehigh970
05-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Well first hi everyone! I'm new to this site! I grew up on the lake and me and the wife have been saying for the past couple years we were going to get a boat. Well, the day is upon us..almost! I am going to pick up my..opps our..;) 1986 prostar in the morning. As you can see.. yep 2:30 am, someone is a lil to excited to sleep! Feel like a kid on christmas eve again! The boat has about 600 hrs on it, and had the interior redone 2 years ago. I have actually yet to see the boat, but I am set on it, hopefully this don't bite me in the you know what! Knocking on wood. Well I am sure some of you will come to know me rather well around here. if anyone has any suggestions for things to look at that I might not thought of.. feel free.. that is if anyone else is awake at this time of night! Lol I will post pics when I get her home... after I get her wet of coarse;)

nascar
05-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Welcome to Team Talk and hope that your purchase of an 86 Mastercraft gives you and your wife years of pleasure .

Jim@BAWS
05-22-2010, 08:12 AM
COMPRESSION TEST COMPRESSION TEST COMPRESSION TEST

Jim@BAWS

SkiDog
05-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Thats a good way to kill a buzz Krank!

milehigh970
05-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Well... got the boat today! Picked it up for 5700 and got skihigh pylon, barefoot boom, and 2 newer hyperlyte boards.. what do ya think? Tool it home, threw a new battery in it for good measure, gave her a quick clean out, drained the gas that was in the tank, threw 10 fresh in, put the plugs in and vroom vroom! I know I know.. yes I bought it without starting it... it hadn't been gone through after the winter and used that to my price negotiation advantage. Figured I am a automotice tech and build race cars and freestyle jetskis for fun... so hey what's the worst that happens I gotta throw a lt1 in it? ;) so we loaded up made the 10 minute drive to the lake. Backed her in and fired it up letting it idle on the trailer for a few minutes with the cover open so I could make sure we didn't have any water leaks and good to go!! We had a blast all day!! Till the colorado weather went from great to 79 mile an hour gust! In about a 10-15 minute time frame, which happened to be the same time frame me and my cousin decided to go drive to the marina and grab some things. We come out of the store and we both know there is a issue! We haul butt back to our families lot ( we have 2 water front lots on a state res.) As we get out of the car all I hear is my grandma scream.... we come running through the lot to see 4-6 foot white caps cookin across the lake and the boat is about 30 yard down shore about 8 feet from a concrete retaining wall! My 14 year old cousin and hit 2 year old sister are in the water trying to hold on to the boat! I go off the stairs and thrashing through waist deep water and her comes my baywatch, david hassalhoff looking 17 year old cousin diving over our retaining wall( its grass on the lot.. old telephone poles as the retaining wall about 4-5 feet above the grass line and about 3 feet submerged below water right now on the other side) he beats me to the boat by a couple seconds and grabs on for the ride.. by this time there is maybe 3 feet between my day old boat and a concrete wall.. with my 3 young cousin inbetween.! As I got to the boat I jump in and hit the key and grab reverse... my older cousin grabs on and swings in as the two youngest head for refuge. Shew! ***! Were clear of the wall and the young ones are safe! But now here we are in the 86 prostar with 4 - 6 foot caps rolling in the same direction we need to go to make it to the ramp... well how did it end up? News reports sustained huricane class winds capsize vessel at state resi! Nope npt what your thinking.. wasn't me! Someone else capsized as we were litterally riding the wave in... I was able to let the big roller start to come up on us and give hera lil gas. Kind of match my speed to the wave and cut throttle.. we would litterally ride on the crest of the wave like we were surfing for 20- 40 yards and repeat. I finally was able to escape into the inlet channel which is right by the ramp... got her spun around between sets real quick so I was heading into the lil rollers that were making it up the channel. About 3 minutes of throttle play with the rollers and finally the trailer comes around the corner. So summary... got the boat, got her running, love it, almost lost it, now I LOVE IT EVEN MORE! Leason learned... never leave the my boat in the water if I am going to be away for more then 10 minutes!! Lol oh btw the boat was secured to a screw in style anchor witch never budged or came out.. I just made the mistake of using a peice of line that was in the boat instead of our tried and tested ones we use everyweek end for years! Pics later and the gears are already turning...

milehigh970
05-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Ok so it should of bee " his 12 year old sister" sorry for the lil book.. just a crazy first day of boat ownership and thought I would share. Also I wasn't able to find out if anyone was injured in the capsize.

sand2snow22
05-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Wow, crazy story, glad you made it out alive. Reminds me of the time I watched the wind pick our fishing boat up from one side of the dock and throw her to the other side of the dock, upside down, still tied to the dock.

SkiDog
05-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Great story! Glad everything turned out OK!

ski/hunt
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
What res. you boating at? I grew up in Colorado now live in Tn. Purposed to my wife on Boyd back in 97. Might drag our ps205 around some this summer, if we bring it to Co. maybe we can hook up. Not the best first day...you'll never forget it and it's a great "beers and campfire" story!:)

milehigh970
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
What res. you boating at? I grew up in Colorado now live in Tn. Purposed to my wife on Boyd back in 97. Might drag our ps205 around some this summer, if we bring it to Co. maybe we can hook up. Not the best first day...you'll never forget it and it's a great "beers and campfire" story!:)

Tell me about it! Shhhheewwww... we were on jackson res. Its outside ft morgan, about a hour from boyd. If your in this neck of the woods let me know.. well off to the lake for round two! ;) forcast says 86! :)

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow, what a story. So many things could have gone wrong from people getting hurt to smashed boat..............to blown up boat due to starting it without running the blower. If you made it through that, you should have bought some lottery tickets too. :D

milehigh970
05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Man tell me about it! Day 2 was spent cleaning around the property and tinkering on the boat. There were 10-15 mph winds all day.. and I didn't even want to look at chop today..lol

milehigh970
05-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah no kidding! I spent the day cleaning our property and tinkering with the boat! Lol 10-15 constant winds I didn't even wanna look at chop! I did find my first issue needing immediate attention.. I started a new thread.

onejdgreen
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Congrats on the purchase! We had wind on our lake in NW Iowa this weekend too, but nothing like that and we are on the south shore, so it was nice with the 25 mph south winds we had.

oxberger
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Welcome milehigh! Congrats on the new aquisition! I have an '85 SS and love it. Love the story by the way. Glad everything turned out ok for you. Sounds like a real pucker fest for a bit. You'll never forget it that's for sure. Anything you need, just ask. Everyone on here rocks! Huge wealth of knowledge.

milehigh970
05-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys! I am really stoked about the purchase! I have always wanted a prostar! I am almost as happy I found this forum too!!