PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

Workin' 4 Toys
06-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Any one from around there? Or perhaps going to be there this coming weekend/week?

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't believe there are no replies to the Lake of the Ozarks. Thousands and thousands of acres of water. The only body of water said to have its own live cameras set on the lake in missouri. And on the web.

bcampbe7
06-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I will be on Table Rock Lake July 9th to the 15th. I believe Lake of the Ozarks is a bit North of Table Rock. Have heard it is a pretty awesome lake for sight seeing if you know what I mean. Ask for directions to "Party Cove."
:eek: :woohoo: :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2005, 02:04 PM
We actually just got back last night/this morning. And if you don't have kids with you, I highly recommend "PARTY COVE". There is everything from party barges and house boats, to fishing boats, to 80' yachts. And yes, it is true what you see there.

Thrall
06-30-2005, 04:46 PM
We're headin' out there in August, 2nd week. Never been there before, sounds pretty sweet! "Party Cove!!", duely noted.

Ric
06-30-2005, 05:03 PM
I can't believe there are no replies to the Lake of the Ozarks. Thousands and thousands of acres of water. The only body of water said to have its own live cameras set on the lake in missouri. And on the web.
hey how do we get to see the live camera shots online?

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-30-2005, 05:06 PM
And yes, it is true what you see there.

:love: :love: :love: :love:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-01-2005, 10:02 AM
hey how do we get to see the live camera shots online?

http://www.odd.net/ozarks/lakecam/

Try this. And don't be disappointed about the pictures, there is no way they will put party cove on the site, but the lake shots are cool.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-01-2005, 10:11 AM
We're headin' out there in August, 2nd week. Never been there before, sounds pretty sweet! "Party Cove!!", duely noted.
It is only really the hot spot on weekends. I don't suggest a trip down the main channel in a ski boat(and that is the only way to get there). There are sooooooooooooooo many huge boats out there, you have no idea how big the waves are going to come off of them until they are on top of you. We brought another deep vee along so we had no problems. Stick to any of the coves, there are hundreds of them, you could ski all day long by yourself for miles, especially during the week. But believe me, stay away from the main channel on the weekends with any ski boat unless you want to see what the bottom of your boat looks like in the water.
and you WILL want to buy a map before going on the water, you could get lost it is so big. And one more suggestion, Missouri has a flag law, if someone is in the water, you must have your orange flag displayed.

Stritt
07-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Past resident and frequent visitor of Lake of the Ozarks......Good suggestion, ski boats are not a good choice for the main channel over a weekend. The Main Channel can get worse than the Gulf! Seems if your boat is not 30', have multiple bedrooms or can go 70 mph+ you are going to have a VERY rough ride.
If you do visit, look up The Horney Toad (food and bar), 3 story new building with live bands, and of course cold drinks, think its somewhere around marker 5 or 7? Highly recommend it.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Past resident and frequent visitor of Lake of the Ozarks......Good suggestion, ski boats are not a good choice for the main channel over a weekend. The Main Channel can get worse than the Gulf! Seems if your boat is not 30', have multiple bedrooms or can go 70 mph+ you are going to have a VERY rough ride.
If you do visit, look up The Horney Toad (food and bar), 3 story new building with live bands, and of course cold drinks, think its somewhere around marker 5 or 7? Highly recommend it.
It is a good thing I was warned of the main channel before I launched, it would have been really ugly. During the week, it was perfect. Horny toad was a good time. Not your average lake trip, lots to do.

Ron Grover
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Going to Lake of the Ozarks this weekend. However I try never to go down to the dam area or anywhere close. I have a Prostar 205 and it is NOT big eneough for that traffic. I will be up in the Warsaw area at a cousins house. They are in a secluded cove and skiing is usually good all day.

If anyone is in that area about 2 miles below Truman dam look for a black and white 1993 Prostar 205. Say HI.

badams
07-08-2005, 12:24 AM
I have a lake house on the Gravois Arm of Lake of the Ozarks. My wife and I are there every weekend. We have a 2005 X45 and it does great on the channel with the balasts half full at about 20 mph. We went to The Horny Toad last weekend. Even with all of the boats out there on a holiday weekend we were ok. Anything smaller than about 24 feet would be really dangerous though. That's how we ended up with the X45. I haven't gotten to venture to Party Cove yet. The wife keeps telling me that it ain't gonna happen. Let me know if you are headed this way and we can hook up.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2005, 12:41 AM
I have a lake house on the Gravois Arm of Lake of the Ozarks. My wife and I are there every weekend. We have a 2005 X45 and it does great on the channel with the balasts half full at about 20 mph. We went to The Horny Toad last weekend. Even with all of the boats out there on a holiday weekend we were ok. Anything smaller than about 24 feet would be really dangerous though. That's how we ended up with the X45. I haven't gotten to venture to Party Cove yet. The wife keeps telling me that it ain't gonna happen. Let me know if you are headed this way and we can hook up.
It is a blast, bring yourself a huge squirt gun, binaculars, and a camera. And if you really want a show bring some beads and some booze!!! I am not sure if we will be back next year, I am going to work on the wife to see if we can get ourselves a little 38' Cigarette or something so we fit in. We skied your cove for about 8 hours on Monday, it was like glass almost the whole time.
The day we were in Party Cove was the day the helicopter crashed in the water from taking pictures.

badams
07-08-2005, 08:51 PM
We had to of passed each other more than once on Monday. I have the only X45 on the lake and it's bright yellow. I've got a guys weekend planned for the first weekend in August. I'm sure we'll be headed that way. I'll make sure to pick up some beads on the way down. Rumor has it that the guy that crashed the helicopter had crashed into the lake 5 times before. Evidently they arrested him when they got everybody out of the water. They were filming a Cat that a guy I grew up with owns. The boat has a killer paint job of Speed Racer on the side of it. I'm glad you had a good weekend. There were a lot of amatuers down there doing some really stupid things.

Thrall
07-11-2005, 01:46 PM
It is only really the hot spot on weekends. I don't suggest a trip down the main channel in a ski boat(and that is the only way to get there). There are sooooooooooooooo many huge boats out there, you have no idea how big the waves are going to come off of them until they are on top of you. We brought another deep vee along so we had no problems. Stick to any of the coves, there are hundreds of them, you could ski all day long by yourself for miles, especially during the week. But believe me, stay away from the main channel on the weekends with any ski boat unless you want to see what the bottom of your boat looks like in the water.
and you WILL want to buy a map before going on the water, you could get lost it is so big. And one more suggestion, Missouri has a flag law, if someone is in the water, you must have your orange flag displayed.

I appreciate the warning. We will be there 1 Sunday, rest of the trip is during the week. Going w/ a bunch of people that have been there before, but a map is definately in order.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 11:23 AM
I appreciate the warning. We will be there 1 Sunday, rest of the trip is during the week. Going w/ a bunch of people that have been there before, but a map is definately in order.
Don't forget the flag!! And if you go down the main channel, there is one about 1/2 mile long section that is no wake, and they will ticket you instantly. It is only no wake on weekends, but make sure you are aware of it. While we were there, there was probably 6 DNR boats in the water writing tickets. When they say idle speed, they mean it.
If you get an opportunity, make sure you get to party cove. It is worth the trip. Not sure how many miles you would be from it, but it is awesome. Unless you have about 1500watts pumping out of house speakers on your boat, chances are you won't need tunes because the house boats there take care of that for you.(whether you like the music they play or not. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Did you make it there yet?

Thrall
08-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Wokin'4,
Not yet, we are leaving this Fri night, be there on Sat the 6th. Got everything squared away w/ the boat and truck this weekend, can't wait!
I see you're from Chicago. We're coming in from Albuquerque and meeting some friends from Chicago there. Couple of the people I know, rest are friends of friends. Don't know where we're staying, others made the reservations. Guess I better figger that out this week!

powerboatfan
08-01-2005, 11:42 PM
The Helicopter crashed while a camara man who was hired by Black Thunder Powerboats was having Black Thunder's filmed. Just pulled up too fast and dipped the tail in the water. Both pilot and photographer were fine.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Wokin'4,
Not yet, we are leaving this Fri night, be there on Sat the 6th. Got everything squared away w/ the boat and truck this weekend, can't wait!
I see you're from Chicago. We're coming in from Albuquerque and meeting some friends from Chicago there. Couple of the people I know, rest are friends of friends. Don't know where we're staying, others made the reservations. Guess I better figger that out this week!
I see you are all traveling a great distance. Its about 450miles from here. Probably a bit more for you.
The water temp was about 91 a month ago. Probably a steam bath by now.

badams
08-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I'll be heading down on Friday night. Up early Saturday morning boarding in Indian Creek Cove. It's about the 6 mile marker on the Gravois Arm. I've got the only x45 on the water. It's bright yellow. If you see me flag me down.

6ballsisall
08-03-2005, 01:12 AM
I have received camera phone pics from Party cove on a few occasions. The place seems like quite a sight seeing adventure :D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I have received camera phone pics from Party cove on a few occasions. The place seems like quite a sight seeing adventure :D
It's WORTH the trip. I was told there was a segment on TV about it two days ago, I missed it. Of course they had to blur out some images. As I understand it, it is alot like Havasu. But I have not been there.

74stars
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
The lake is right at 90 miles from dam to dam. We have a cabin on the 71 MM- WAAAAY up the lake (closer to Warsaw and Truman Dam). The benefit is very little traffic compared to the Bagnall end- We do not get the "big water" up that far. The good news is we can always find smooth water. We were down last weekend and the water temp was right about 90. Have fun and watch out for the idiots making the big rollers with thier 40 foot crusiers!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-03-2005, 11:33 AM
The lake is right at 90 miles from dam to dam. We have a cabin on the 71 MM- WAAAAY up the lake (closer to Warsaw and Truman Dam). The benefit is very little traffic compared to the Bagnall end- We do not get the "big water" up that far. The good news is we can always find smooth water. We were down last weekend and the water temp was right about 90. Have fun and watch out for the idiots making the big rollers with thier 40 foot crusiers!
Ever wonder what would happen if the 80 year old dam got a leak? Anyword on a rebuild. I couldn't help but think about this when driving across it while hanging on for dear life hoping there wasn't another truck coming across the opposite way because we would not have fit. I was thinking this because when they built it, they obviously did not take into consideration we would be driving 8000# trucks with 4000# boats across it. I am glad I didn't have the dual wheel option on my truck.

74stars
08-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah... I have thought the same thing when driving on the water close to that dam. It's a long way down! I don't know of any major plans to renovate it, but is seems they are always working on it. Something else of interest- the capacity to back pump water from Truman Res. back in to the lake. When they do this it actually causes a current in the lake. Some mornings we will watch the current going south and by the afternoon it has reversed and goes the other way. Very strange....Have fun.

Thrall
08-03-2005, 01:00 PM
74stars,
We'll be there starting Sat afternoon for the week. I'll holler if I see you. We'll either be in my PS190, white w/ maroon stripe and maroon bimini, or a Sea Doo Challenger, black and white.

74stars
08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Where are you staying?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Wokin'4,
Don't know where we're staying, others made the reservations. Guess I better figger that out this week!
From the looks of it, he doesn't know yet.

Thrall
08-03-2005, 03:20 PM
We're staying just outside of Camdenton if that helps. 10 min from town I'm told.

badams
08-03-2005, 09:43 PM
You guys are waaaaaayyyy far away from me. You'll have a great time. Not near the traffic or the chop that I'm going to see.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-04-2005, 10:04 AM
You guys are waaaaaayyyy far away from me. You'll have a great time. Not near the traffic or the chop that I'm going to see.
Better get the X80 out for that ride.

Thrall
08-04-2005, 01:25 PM
That's good to hear. Not looking for alot of traffic .

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2005, 09:17 PM
That's good to hear. Not looking for alot of traffic .
So how was the trip?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah... I have thought the same thing when driving on the water close to that dam. It's a long way down! I don't know of any major plans to renovate it, but is seems they are always working on it. Something else of interest- the capacity to back pump water from Truman Res. back in to the lake. When they do this it actually causes a current in the lake. Some mornings we will watch the current going south and by the afternoon it has reversed and goes the other way. Very strange....Have fun.
I wonder if they thought about this more with the levies in Louisiana.