PDA

View Full Version : leaking around prop shaft

zkprostar
05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I have a leak around the prop shaft on my 2007 ps 197. I understand that a few drops of water will leak in while the shaft is spinning but it is leaking while the shaft is stopped. Is there anyway that I can fix this seal? The boat has less that 200hrs. and has been garage kept, I'm assuming that the seal is still good and can be tightened. I need to know how to check this. Thanks for your input

FrankSchwab
05-22-2010, 12:42 AM
You just need to adjust the packing. No big deal; it's normal maintenance.

There should be instructions in your manual.

Basically, you tighten the really big nut (the packing nut) on the brass stuffing box where the propshaft goes through the hull. Loosen the thin jam-nut that holds the big nut in place, then tighten the big nut a little bit at a time - say, 1/8 of a turn. You should be able to do it by hand. Run the boat around the lake while watching the water come through - when it's down to 10 drops a minute or so, or whatever your manual says, you're golden - tighten the jam nut to hold the packing nut in place, and go skiing.

If you can't get the water to stop, you'll need to replace the packing. TMCNo1 (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25016) has some good instructions here. I've replaced mine (10 years old, but didn't really need to get replaced) with the GoreTex packing that SkiDim sells; but the normal waxed flax packing will generally last a long time too.

Search for "stuffing" or "packing" and you'll find lots of threads.

/frank

TMCNo1
05-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Basically, you tighten the really big nut (the packing nut) on the brass stuffing box where the propshaft goes through the hull. Loosen the thin jam-nut that holds the big nut in place, then tighten the big nut a little bit at a time - say, 1/8 of a turn. You should be able to do it by hand. Run the boat around the lake while watching the water come through - when it's down to 10 drops a minute or so, or whatever your manual says, you're golden - tighten the jam nut to hold the packing nut in place, and go skiing.

If you can't get the water to stop, you'll need to replace the packing. TMCNo1 (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25016) has some good instructions here. I've replaced mine (10 years old, but didn't really need to get replaced) with the GoreTex packing that SkiDim sells; but the normal waxed flax packing will generally last a long time too.

/frank

None of the above is required, IIRC he has a dripless shaft seal from the factory and may want to contact his dealer of Eric @ OJ props for advise.

FrankSchwab
05-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Dang, I can never keep up with all these new-fangled technologies changing all the time...

/frank

ctjahn
05-20-2012, 08:44 AM

/frank

Took out the green monster yesterday (85 and sunny on the lake May 19th in Wisconsin) So, mine is doing this. (Leaking when stationary); since it is a 1978 and I dont have a dripless seal, should I adjust, replace packing or install dripless? I searched for some threads but wasnt really successful

cj

ctjahn
05-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Took out the green monster yesterday (85 and sunny on the lake May 19th in Wisconsin) So, mine is doing this. (Leaking when stationary); since it is a 1978 and I dont have a dripless seal, should I adjust, replace packing or install dripless? I searched for some threads but wasnt really successful

cj

Found this:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31

thx

Cloaked
05-20-2012, 09:16 PM

cjDripless is nice but for my preferences, I'd replace the packing with a graphite packing and call it a day. Leave your floor out until you test run it on the lake. I take two small adjustable pipe wrenches for adjusting. The packing gland will hold about 3 pieces of packing.

ctjahn
05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Dripless is nice but for my preferences, I'd replace the packing with a graphite packing and call it a day. Leave your floor out until you test run it on the lake. I take two small adjustable pipe wrenches for adjusting. The packing gland will hold about 3 pieces of packing.

Thx!!!!

I did try putting a wrench on it today and it was tight... So, I suspect I will be doing the packing. Calling Skidim tomorrow. 1/4" rope based upon what I read in EastTx article/writeup and the fancy stuff is worth the money from what I see.... It appears I need two pipe wrenches too (only have one now)...

Thx again
cj

east tx skier
05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't know about the fancy stuff being worth it, but have never used it. I think I spent $.40 on the flax packing rope and the previous rope lasted 12 years the last time I had to replace it.

ricford
05-20-2012, 11:53 PM
I worry about the dripless stuff getting too hot. A few drips a minute keeps it cool.

Lumbergh
05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
This is the best I've seen:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

ctjahn
05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I pulled out the old packing (whoa, what a mess - it was done). Replaced it with only two rows of the 1/4" gortex packing. Seemed to be a bit of a challenge but got it done. Some of the packing is pushing out just a tiny bit out of the front of the nut. So, now the questions:

1. If the packing is pushing out the front of the nut did I over tighten it and do I need to repack?

2. IS two rows of packing typical? I read three in the thread about how to do it?

Pls let me know!
Thx
Cj

ctjahn
05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
SO, I was just re-reading the thread (after my work this weekend) and noted that a little drip is good? And necessary to lube the packing? And I should leave the jam nut loose until I test it? Can someone confirm?

Thx again
cj

FrankSchwab
05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes - it must drip about once every 5-15 seconds while running. If it doesn't drip at all, there are multiple bad things that are likely to occur:
1. With no lubrication, the packing can wear a groove into the propshaft
2. With no lubrication, the packing can rapidly degrade and need replacing again.

I wouldn't leave the jam nut loose, but I would loosen the packing nut. Being as you may have everything compressed in there, loosen the packing nut, tighten it down hand-tight, then back it off a half turn. Snug up the jam nut so things don't fall apart, then drop it in the water. Run it a few minutes, check the drip rate, then loosen the jam nut/tighten the packing nut a bit at a time (maybe a quarter turn to start out, whatever it needs at the end) to get the drip rate into range. Check it again at the end of the day, and at the end of the day the next time you go out, then forget about it until next spring.

You should also be able to touch the stuffing box after running at speed for awhile. If the packing's too tight, or has insufficient water flow, it'll be too hot to touch.

Todd X14
05-30-2012, 09:03 PM
After running the boat for a few minutes to warm things up, put in forward gear with no throttle speed then look for a drip rate of one drip every 7-9 seconds. Tighten the jam nut and you're done.