PDA

View Full Version : Checking Transmission Fluid

zkprostar
05-21-2010, 11:15 PM
What is the proper procedure for checking the transmission fluid in a 2007 ps197? Is it checked like a car transmission where you go through the gears and check in neutral while the engine is running? Also what are the 2 lines on the dipstick? Is this max and min or hot and cold? Any input is appreciated..

hcoog17
05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
This is from the owners manual for my 2006 X30. I have the MCX with the VF Hurth V drive trans:

Because you will get an accurate reading only after the engine has run long enough to thoroughly warm up,this should be one of the last checks you conduct before boating. Run the engine in the water at least five minutes in the water, and check the fluid immediately after shutting down to get an accurate reading.

Step 1: After operating the engine at idle while in the water for at least five minutes or until warm, turn theengine OFF and disconnect the engine safety starting switch. Be sure the throttle/shift control lever is inneutral. Open the engine compartment and locate the transmission dipstick.
Note: The transmission fluid level must be checked immediately after the engine shut-down to prevent an incorrect reading. Fluid drains back into the transmission from the cooler and cooler lines, and the dipstick could give a false reading if not done quickly.

Step 2: Remove the dipstick and wipe it off with a clean rag. Quickly re-insert it fully and immediately remove. Check that thelevel is at the FULL WARM mark on the stick.

Step 3: Add or remove fluid as necessary to maintain the level at the mark. It is as important to avoid overfilling the trans-mission fluid as it is to avoid underfilling. Use only the recommended automotive-type transmission fluid. Check with yourMasterCraft dealer for the specifications. Never mix different types or brands of fluid! The manufacturer specifies Dexron-IIIfluid in the direct drive 1:1 transmission and 15W40 motor oil in the V-drives and gear-reduction transmissions.
QUARTERLY (Every 50 Hours)

zkprostar
05-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I will be sure to follow these steps next trip out. to get ready for the season.

FrankSchwab
05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
But I still have a question - "re-insert it fully" - should I screw it in, or not? I've had motorcycles over the years that used both techniques. It would be nice if this was explicit.

/frank

Footin
05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
But I still have a question - "re-insert it fully" - should I screw it in, or not? I've had motorcycles over the years that used both techniques. It would be nice if this was explicit.

/frank

On my 94 with a Velvet Drive, the manual says to "fully re-insert" the dip stick to check the fluid level. Mine may be different as it is not threaded, it has a rubber grommet that holds it tight in the transmission. I check it hot, just after shutting off the motor and push it all the way it.

MariStar-Man
07-25-2010, 04:58 PM

/frank

any clarification as to, "Fully insert" or Not? As it were...

megapea
07-29-2010, 08:52 PM
I have the user manual for the Hurth V-drive, and they show " NOT" screwing it in to check the fluid level. Just push the dip stick down until the threads come in contact with the top of the transmission, and pull out to check fluid level. My manual came with my 1999 Maristar.