PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leak I think?

91prostar
05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey all I just bought a 91 tristar 190, turns out it has alot of issues but I am willing fix and learn as I go. This is my first MC and I have wanted to own one for as long as I can remember.

I have a rusty looking fluid in the bilge that appers to be coming from the bell housing/ flexplate area. I am gettting water into the transmission I suspect fom the oil cooler and I am replacing this week.

My question: is there a freeze plug or something on the back of the block that may be leaking and mixing with transmission fluid from the front seal to create this?

This boat has been sitting for quite some time and before that the best I can tell it was neglected and abused

1990lmtd
05-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Supposedly it is the front seal on the tranny. Cheap and fairly easy to change (Once the trans is out of the boat that is:)) I replaced mine while I was changing the engine but I did not replace the rear seal and alas there seems to be a little seepage at the output shaft. My advice is to change both but before you do check the cooler line connection on the lower side of trans next to engine. You never know, you could get lucky.

1990lmtd
05-21-2010, 09:09 PM
By the way I think the only freeze plug at the back of the block is the Cam plug. (Not likely to ever come out and no water behind it anyway.)

Jim@BAWS
05-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey all I just bought a 91 tristar 190, turns out it has alot of issues but I am willing fix and learn as I go. This is my first MC and I have wanted to own one for as long as I can remember.

I have a rusty looking fluid in the bilge that appers to be coming from the bell housing/ flexplate area. I am gettting water into the transmission I suspect fom the oil cooler and I am replacing this week.

My question: is there a freeze plug or something on the back of the block that may be leaking and mixing with transmission fluid from the front seal to create this?

This boat has been sitting for quite some time and before that the best I can tell it was neglected and abused

Have your Transmission cooler pressure tested !!!

Jim@BAWS

91prostar
05-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks that is what I thought but wanted to hear it from someone who had been there.. I have checked the cooler lines and they are all good, new oil cooler this week. water in tranny fluid... do you think it will harm it to run it this season and just make sure the fluid levels are good? I have a list as long as my arm to do to this boat and have already sunk a ton in it to get it ready..

Jim@BAWS
05-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Get a transcooler Not that expensive. If the transmission was meant to be run on Type FA and water, then Borg Warner would have designed it that way.

The inner workings should not look like PEPTO BISMAL

Jim@BAWS

91prostar
05-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks Jim, got one on the way and will Install monday.

Thanks for the help