PDA

View Full Version : Safety Switch reverse operation?

Jack's 89 Tri Star
06-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a 89 Tri Star. Launched it the other day, and it would start but as soon as I released the key it would stop. I noticed that when I turn the key on, I was not getting a fuel reading or amp meter reading. When I removed the safety switch lanyard (with the key in the on position), the fuel guage and amp meter came to life. The boat then started as normal. Once running, I put the Safety Switch lanyard back on and the engine stopped running. The Safety Switch is operating exactly opposite as it should! Has anyone ever run into this?

Thanks, so much

LakePirate
06-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Jack, sounds like something is crossed in the dash. Did it run and work ok before? or is this the first time out?

Jack's 89 Tri Star
06-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I started the boat on land and everything worked normal. The problems started when I launched the boat. The boat worked just fine all last season.

Jack's 89 Tri Star
06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, just as I feared, the boat died this weekend and no matter what postion the safety switch was in, I did not get the fuel guage and amp meter to read. So I had the boat towed back to the lift. I pulled the safety switch out and checked it with my volt-ohm meter. No matter what postion the safety switch was in, I could not see that the switch was ever in the closed position. I cut the switch out and wire-nutted the two leads togheter, now the boat runs again. So what I had was a malfunctioning safety switch. On it way out, it just happened to give me a warning that it was in trouble. I'll order a new safety switch and install it soon.

Thanks

phecksel
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
My 88 tristar safety switch acted up too, so I just bypassed the switch. How many people actually use the safety?

stevo137
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Some states will call you on it if you don't have one that's working.

erkoehler
06-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I always where it when I am out on the river. At our lake in Northern WI, not so much.