PDA

View Full Version : Bass Boat Cover

CruisinGA
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
We have a '88 Ranger 373V (18.5 ft 150HP) bass boat that is in great condition.

The cover that came with it is very heavy, bulky and difficult to work with.

I've seen some posts about "the" places to buy ski boat covers, didn't know if such a place existed for bass boat covers.

I'm not on any Ranger or bass boat forums, so I figured I'd post this here, some other folks have to have a bass boat as well as a MC.

TX.X-30 fan
05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I bet some of the metal-flake guys on here might be able to help.

CruisinGA
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I bet some of the metal-flake guys on here might be able to help.

This boat is definitely a classy 80's glitter rocket. :D

TX.X-30 fan
05-21-2010, 08:38 AM

..............:D:D

ttu
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
probably somewhere like overtons.

speaking of metal flake i really wish i had pics of my dad 78 baja tri 16 or even more my uncles 77 glastron carlson cvx 16. my uncle still has his and it still looks brand new.:D

captain planet
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM

My brother had a Honcho Bass Boat, red and silver metal flake...and it was a tunnel hull. I looked for pictures on line, however couldn't fine one. Cool boat and could definately be considered an "80's glitter rocket". It would do about 70 mph.

As for your cover, I'm assuming you want it to cover your electric motor in the front? Take it to a custom shop. That is what I did with my 14 aluminum fishing boat.

CruisinGA
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
probably somewhere like overtons.

speaking of metal flake i really wish i had pics of my dad 78 baja tri 16 or even more my uncles 77 glastron carlson cvx 16. my uncle still has his and it still looks brand new.:D

Looked at overtons, but they're bass boat cover was about 6" short on the beam.

Bass Pro etc have lots of options, just not sure what type of cover, material, attachment etc is best, so even just general info would be useful. I don't have any boat cover experience except for the OEM cover that came with my '02 X9.

CruisinGA
05-21-2010, 10:23 AM
My brother had a Honcho Bass Boat, red and silver metal flake...and it was a tunnel hull. I looked for pictures on line, however couldn't fine one. Cool boat and could definately be considered an "80's glitter rocket". It would do about 70 mph.

As for your cover, I'm assuming you want it to cover your electric motor in the front? Take it to a custom shop. That is what I did with my 14 aluminum fishing boat.

This boat is all original and does 55. If I valued life and limb less, and cared to go faster, I suppose I could install a jack plate and speed prop and knock it up another 15 mph or so.

It's pretty unbelievable how reliable and smooth-running the 22 yr old Evinrude is. I put new plugs in it earlier this year, and I bet that is the only thing ever done maintenance-wise.

The boat does have a trolling motor in front. Some of the mass produced covers I've looked at have "pockets" for them.

How much more do you think a custom job would run than the $250-275 I'm seeing for most of the catalog covers? How do you attach your cover to your fishing boat?

captain planet
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
This boat is all original and does 55. If I valued life and limb less, and cared to go faster, I suppose I could install a jack plate and speed prop and knock it up another 15 mph or so.

It's pretty unbelievable how reliable and smooth-running the 22 yr old Evinrude is. I put new plugs in it earlier this year, and I bet that is the only thing ever done maintenance-wise.

The boat does have a trolling motor in front. Some of the mass produced covers I've looked at have "pockets" for them.

How much more do you think a custom job would run than the $250-275 I'm seeing for most of the catalog covers? How do you attach your cover to your fishing boat?

It would run you much more than that, at least around here. I want to say I paid $125 or so for my cover......20 years ago. I can't remember how the cover attaches to the boat as it has been in storage in a farmers barn since 1992. I'm going to get it out here in a week or so. It will be the first time I've set eyes on it in at least 15 years. Anyway, I want to say I had bungee cords that attached to the trailer as I didnt' want snaps in the boat.

CruisinGA
05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
It would run you much more than that, at least around here. I want to say I paid $125 or so for my cover......20 years ago. I can't remember how the cover attaches to the boat as it has been in storage in a farmers barn since 1992. I'm going to get it out here in a week or so. It will be the first time I've set eyes on it in at least 15 years. Anyway, I want to say I had bungee cords that attached to the trailer as I didnt' want snaps in the boat.

This boat will sit in the water for the entire summer, and on the lift in the winter. I doubt it will see the trailer more than once or twice a year. I think this may be an issue, as I also don't want to install snaps, and I need some way that doesn't rely on the trailer or straps under the hull for attachment.

Thanks for the input. Good luck with the boat, 15 years is a long time.