PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Help

zpacheco
05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Alright, I just bought a 1994 Maristar and took it to the local Mastercraft dealer to get some stuff worked on. The strut was bent and prop needed to be fixed. They said it needs an oil change too. But, I don't want to pay 150$ for an oil change. Can anyone tell me how to do this myself. I have been trying to find some stuff online. Do i just need to get something like this

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=27266&pdesc=Oil_Extractor_6_liter&aID=601L9&merchID=4006

to extract the oil. Also, how do I run the engine out of the water. Where do I put the hose, so the oil can be warmed up. And the oil filter. Someone once told me to pour a lot of oil into the new one before putting it on. Is this true.

I'm new with this kind of work, but want to learn and do some of the work on my new boat myself.

Thanks for any help

etduc
05-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Alright, I just bought a 1994 Maristar and took it to the local Mastercraft dealer to get some stuff worked on. The strut was bent and prop needed to be fixed. They said it needs an oil change too. But, I don't want to pay 150$ for an oil change. Can anyone tell me how to do this myself. I have been trying to find some stuff online. Do i just need to get something like this

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=27266&pdesc=Oil_Extractor_6_liter&aID=601L9&merchID=4006

to extract the oil. Also, how do I run the engine out of the water. Where do I put the hose, so the oil can be warmed up. And the oil filter. Someone once told me to pour a lot of oil into the new one before putting it on. Is this true.

I'm new with this kind of work, but want to learn and do some of the work on my new boat myself.

Thanks for any help

Give us more info, on where you live. One of us, could be right down the road. Most on this board are glad to help. That being said....

If you have a good Mastercraft dealer and you are new to the boat, have them do a once over (check it out, throughly) Trust me, $150 for an oil change is cheap, compared to a ruin weekend. :cool:

zpacheco
05-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah I had them check everything already. He said it all looked good for a '94. They were the ones who actually noticed the bent strut, among some other things that they are fixing (things that sounded a little over my head).

The oil change though seems like something I should be able to do and am wanting to learn to do. I just thought that at that price I could buy the necessary materials and do it myself. I live in Little Rock, AR.

Looking forward to getting the boat back home. They have had it for over a week, and haven't been able to get to it yet. I just want to get it home and on the water as quick as I can. Dying to use it!

JMann
05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Changing the oil is easy. I do it without a pump or extractor.
1) There is an oil drain hose coming out of the oil pan in place of a drain plug.
2) Shove this hose through the bilge drain
3) climb under the boat iwth a disposable turkey cooking try and 1 gal jug (I use a milk jug)
4) Undo the brass plug and put the hose into the 1 gallon jug
5) Remove the oil filter and leave off while the oil drains
6) Go inside and have a few beers for about an hour
7) Go Back outside cliimb under boat re install drain plug
8) Climb in boat pull the drain hose back in
9) install NEW oil filter
10) poor is your new oil

And you should be ready to go.

Thrall
05-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I didn't have any luck getting all the oil out of the drain hose on my '96 like JMann suggested. For some reason it retained about a qt of oil even after draining for a day.
I bought a drill operated pump ($10 from Napa) and rigged up some hdwr store fittings to screw it onto the drain hose. Have to go from male garden hose thread on the pump to male 3/8NPT on the drain hose. Put a few feet of hose onto the other side of the pump as well. Hook it up and suck out all the oil in less than a minute. If it's not low on oil, it will be about 4-1/2 qts coming out.
Remove the filter with a plastic bag to drop it into and some paper towels in the bilge in case you make a mess.
New oil filter Napa Gold 1069. Oil, use any flavor of 15W40 diesel oil you like or read yourself to death on here about which oil is best!:rolleyes: I've never worried about pre-filling the oil filter on the boat or vehicles, some do. It's up to you.
Change the trans fluid while you're at it. Use the same pump for the engine oil with hoses on both ends (or a turkey baster with a hose taped to it but that takes a longtime). Suck out as much as you can and re-fill. If it's nasty looking, maybe do that a few times, running hte boat briefly in gear before each change. Then once a year after that.
Grease the rudder box and steering cable while you're down there.
To run the boat out of water, simplest way is disconnect the raw water hose coming up from the bottom of the hull. Stick a garden hose in it. Start the boat and tehn turn on the water immediately after. (If you let the water run much before starting the boat there's a chance it can get into the engine from the exhaust manifolds). Make sure the boat's pushing water out both exhausts when it's on the hose.
And change the impeller annually.

ahhudgins
05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
I may end up using the drill/pump set up. The oil drain hose on my 95 Maristar doesn't reach the bildge drain plug, I have to attach an additional hose over the brass fitting and then slide it under the gas tank and then out the bildge. Mine does take about and hour to drain completely.

H20BOY
05-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Zpacheco, what lake do you go to? I grew up in Little Rock and go back quite often to see my family. We keep are boat at Oucahita. Does James have a new service tech at MCBoats or his he doing all of the service work?

wxnic
05-21-2010, 12:09 AM
i just use a "fake-a-lake" to warm the boat up. the oil drains out no problem after warmed up. replace filter. cheap and quick.

zpacheco
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
So, I should use 15w40 diesel oil? Is this what others use?

zpacheco
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Zpacheco, what lake do you go to? I grew up in Little Rock and go back quite often to see my family. We keep are boat at Oucahita. Does James have a new service tech at MCBoats or his he doing all of the service work?

Yeah james still works there. He had someone named Nick helping him but he just quit because a baby was on the way. And we had our boat on the water for the first time last weekend on Oucahita and it was great!

dummy
06-17-2010, 03:32 PM
So, I should use 15w40 diesel oil? Is this what others use?

More than the diesel oil, if you can find it look for CJ-I spec 15W-40 diesel oil. It's the older stuff with higher levels of ZZP, etc. Most 15W-40 diesel oils you'll find in Wal-Mart and chain stores will most likely be newer CJ-4 spec for use with emissions-controlled '07-up diesel engines. Using the CJ-I in these particulate-filter-equipped diesels can hasten clogging of the DPF, so the newer CJ-4 contains less of the "harmful polluting" ZZP additives. Kinda like back in the '70s when they phased out lead in gasoline. Even though it was the best thing going for engine longevity, the tailpipe police ... well, you get the point.

Step-by-step oil change with photos here: http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monkey-photo-galleries/Marine-Oil-Change-gallery.html

I'll be putting up a step-by impeller and serpentine belt change pretty soon.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
There shouldn't be anything magical involved in getting the oil to drain with the hose. Make sure your hose is routed properly (no knots) and adjust the attitude of the boat with the dolly wheel to facilitate proper drainage.

And enjoy a beer or two as previously stated.

TMCNo1
06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah james still works there. He had someone named Nick helping him but he just quit because a baby was on the way. And we had our boat on the water for the first time last weekend on Oucahita and it was great!

Right before dinner, after returning from the lake, while the engine is still warm and so is the oil, I remove my bilge drain plug, drop the hose through the hull, take the oil line end cap off, drop it into a 5 qt empty Valvoline container. After we've eaten dinner the oil is out of the oil pan and it's ready to be buttoned up, new oil added after the filter is replaced