PDA

View Full Version : 83 SS ballast advice(no haters please)

Runnit
05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I know it's a ski boat but we like to wakeboard during the day when the lake is chop. So I only want a basic removable setup but I would like to learn from others who have done this what weight, where, and how much worked.

I just bought a fly high, and new board, just wanting to know what ballast bags I should get? and how to position them.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

06197ttlq9-footer
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
these work great and they are easy to remove...:cool:

MariStar-Man
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Easy To Remove...? :confused: "Ok ?John Bring in the Crane...!"

Jim@BAWS
05-20-2010, 11:09 AM

IF THERE EVER WAS A TIME FOR A MOD TO REMOVE SOMETHING NOW IS THE TIME!!!!

I HAVE THAT STOMACH BILE IN THE BACK OF MY MOUTH JUST WAITING TO MAKE IT ALL THE WAY OUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Jim@BAWS

Thrall
05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd start with a 750# sac in the back and maybe a couple people sitiing on it (not those pictured above!).
DD ski boats are much moer weight forward than V drives and don't need much or any weight upfront unless you're slamming it.
My 190, although a different hull than the S&S, is the same basic weight proportions front and back. It put out a nice rampy clean wake back to at least 70' with a fat sac in back and 2 passengers.

classic_speed
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Where are the most affordable ballasts found?

83SuperSlot
05-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I am interested in this question also... The max weight limit posted in the boat is 1200#.... is this a problem with the extra ballast??

Ubugme2
05-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I think the best prices are flyhigh sacs on Towanza.com

06197ttlq9-footer
05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
www.skiitagain.com, craigslist, ebay if you are looking for cheap used sacks. Seriously though you would be surprised the difference a few friends in the back of the boat will change the wake of those older boats.

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to make you sick buddy. lol

piper_chuck
05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
www.skiitagain.com, craigslist, ebay if you are looking for cheap used sacks. Seriously though you would be surprised the difference a few friends in the back of the boat will change the wake of those older boats.

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to make you sick buddy. lol
This link might work better: www.ski-it-again.com ;)

wakewander
05-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I have an 84 S&S! I run about an 800 in the back and two twin 440 along the sides of the engine! Like you can imagine the boat has no problem with the additional weight plus your fellow riders. Where it does come into play is with your wake catching up to you and others when you are sitting still. You already know that the bow is super low and loves to dive if you are not on top of things with swells coming towards you. I have found that if you back off the throttle easy your don't have much to worry with, those quick stops can make for an expensive anchor and a picture in the paper! As far as the wake that it produces, it is quite decent! Especially sense the boat is about one tenth of a current wakeboard boat, if you set your sights high like i do!

phickman
05-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Works like a charm, and cheap. A buddy to help position is useful. You can customize the wake by shifting the pile. Careful loading, it can be hell on the gelcoat. No hatin' here :D

ShamrockIV
05-20-2010, 08:49 PM
check www.maxwake.com

buddy of mine can hook u up

Kyle
05-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Seriously ROCKS?????

I dont even allow shoes in the boat.

H20skeefreek
05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Wow, that's pretty insane. Water ballast is neutrally buoyant, so there isn't much chance of sinking the boat. Bring in a little water over the gunwale, and that baby is GONE!

06197ttlq9-footer
05-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Wow, that's pretty insane. Water ballast is neutrally buoyant, so there isn't much chance of sinking the boat. Bring in a little water over the gunwale, and that baby is GONE!

Now them big girls don't look like such a bad Idea! lol they are neutrally buoyant as well. (well kinda....Still better than rocks) :headbang:

MariStar-Man
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Here's a simple video that shows the difference between using Water or Lead as Ballast.

Warning: Those of you with weak stomacks, please use caution when watching video...>>>Click Here<<< (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTORp58DZsU)

83SuperSlot
05-21-2010, 10:37 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Good stuff! :D

Age Fighter
05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
In light of the high tech video about sinking a boat on lead, I guess the rocks are out.

Now on the 1200 pound weight limit -- sounds like about one of the gals and a driver, 2 riders and fuel.

Or two gals by themselves.

apologies to Jim B's gastro issues......:D