PDA

View Full Version : WOT issue.

GregS
05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I just talked to a carb company...they said it does not sound like a carberutor problem. I have replaced the spark plugs, points, condenser, wires....it runs great...but at WOT (wide open throttle, the boat just dies). I slow the boat down...and it picks back up.

Could it be the fuel pump?

I would hate to spend $600 on a Carb...and it be a fuel pump.

Thanks, Greg

GregS
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
1988 MasterCraft 351...oh...I replaced the fuel filter as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Sounds like it could be a fuel delivery problem. What boat, engine, carb.....?

Thrall
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd try the fuel pump first. They're cheap for your 351 and probably timeto replace it anyway as preventative maint.

rem_pss308
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
One my 1993 with the 351, it would do the same thing when the ballast was full.
the fuel pump is on the motor, and it has to suck it from the tank. and when the ballast was full it would take longer to get on a plain.

I replaced the fuel pump, and it never did it again.

Kyle
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Make sure that you have a good and fully charged battery. My boat will do this same thing if I run my batteries (3) after a long day of listening to loud music and I have the tunes going, running lights on, interior neons on, underwater lights on, and perfect pass on. It will run fine until about 33 mph and then fall on its face. If I charge the batteries then the problem will go away. In my case it is a voltage issue from running at night and not having the juice to maintain everyting I want to run. If I did not charge the batteries and went the next day in and ran wot it would not do it either. The battery would start the boat but not have enough to run PP, music, and wot. Just someting to try.

Kyle
05-20-2010, 05:09 PM
If you think it is a fuel problem then put a hose going from the pump into a bucket and watch the flow of the pump. I would put my finger over the end of the hose and see pump pressure. It should spray like a finger over a garden hose, just in a smaller application.