PDA

View Full Version : Flooding issue on 5.7 Indmar TBI

chelanvalley
05-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I have searched the forum everywhere, and can't seem to find a solution or even someone who is having the same problem that I currently am. After sitting all winter, this 2000 MC X-Star is flooding fuel through the TBI system and it's pumping so much fuel, that the engine is coming close to hydro-locking on gas. I've pulled the TBI system, checked the fuel regulator, and it doesn't appear that there is any fuel flowing back to the tank at all. I've spoken to Indmar, and a MasterCraft dealer, and both are saying it is the carter fuel pump in the tank that is the culprit. Apparently there is a fuel pressure module in the pump pod somewhere that isn't allowing fuel to flow back to the tank. A new fuel pump module is on it's way, but I'm having my doubts as to whether there is acutally a pressure regulator in the fuel pump module. Any ideas, comments or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated on this one. I'm pretty frustrated at this point.
Thanks!

Tom Jones
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Have you checked the fuel pressure, it could be too high forcing too much fuel past the regulator in the TB assembly. My Clymers manual indicates that too much fuel getting past the regulator is usually is as a result of dirt in the regulator. Have you checked for any kinks in the return line to the tank?

I'm sure there are others on here that may have some other suggestions.

chelanvalley
05-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info Tom, I did check the fuel pressure, and it was too high for sure. It was dumping enough fuel into the cylinders that when I pulled the plugs, fuel was running out. I also checked for kinks in the fuel lines from the pump to the TBI and then on the return side as well. Funny enough, though, I solved the entire problem in a matter of a few seconds once I took the spark arrestor off. Apparently, the tech that worked on this before I did, tightened the spark arrestor back on and pinched the blue wire that goes to the portside fuel injector. DOH!! Once returning that pinched wire back into the spark arrestor, solved the problem immediately. NICE!

JimN
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Change your oil before using the boat. That much gas will surely make it to the crankcase if the injector was firing constantly.