PDA

View Full Version : Going from Die Cut Decals to Domed?

johnson19aj
05-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I've paged the forums for this topic and cannot find anyone that's tried this. I have a 94' Prostar 190 and I need new decals. Rather than replace them with the standard die cut vinyl decals, I'm thinking about going with the new updated domed decals.

Has anyone done this? Do they have pictures? I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea.

The picture is the color pattern of my boat (it is not my actual boat).

east tx skier
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Ryan has done it. I think he started the process in this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1038&highlight=domed).

wxnic
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
i just did it - not exact same boat, but you get the idea.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35364

tex
05-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Don't do it!!!!

Sodar
05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Don't do it!!!!

johnson19aj
05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
i just did it - not exact same boat, but you get the idea.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35364
Yeah you did an awesome job. I'm just worried that my boat is just to old to pull it off.

Campbell
05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Im not too sure that it would look right on a 94 190. The older color schemes dont seem to blend as well with the new ones in my opinion, for what its worth. Plus it will cost $$ for the raised style stickers.

robin
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
i did it to my 1999. i put on 2006 chrome domed decals.....looks great. you can see it in my signature photo

C36
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
i did it to my 1999. i put on 2006 chrome domed decals.....looks great. you can see it in my signature photo

Or you can click here (http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5685&size=big&cat=) to see a bigger version of the same boat.

JohnE
05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
The domed decals look great, but fail at a considerable rate. Had them on 3 boats now and all 3 have failed. My '09 is an 'astercraft'! Fortunately they warrantied it thanks to Norm.

robin
05-20-2010, 10:31 PM
i have not lost any of my letters yet (knock on fiberglass). i have heard of boats loosing theirs, so im kind of obsessive in inspecting them / pressing them down. theyve been on now for 4 seasons. sorry badger, but go Hoosiers!!

Kyle
05-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I have them on my 93 190 you can look at them under my albums if you want. Some guys say dont do it bc the dock will make them come off. My MC doesnt hit the dock. I personally will jump out and get squished between the dock and boat before it will hit. I will take one for the boat any day. Passengers also know that the only job that they have is to not let the boat touch the dock while I am trying to manuver. I buffed the boat while the old stickers were off then I used acetone and washed the area where the new decals were going to go. I used a little soap in a spray bottle filled with water and measured tons of times to make sure everything was level. I did not use the boat for several days to let the decals get set and stuck to the sides fully. Mine have not peeled or bubbled at all and I totally like the way they look.

johnson19aj
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Where did you get the new decals from?

Kyle
05-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I got mine from Charlie at Texas Mastercraft here in Ft Worth.

Craig
05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I've paged the forums for this topic and cannot find anyone that's tried this. I have a 94' Prostar 190 and I need new decals. Rather than replace them with the standard die cut vinyl decals, I'm thinking about going with the new updated domed decals.

Has anyone done this? Do they have pictures? I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea.

The picture is the color pattern of my boat (it is not my actual boat).

First, what a sweet boat you have referenced...8p

I also say don't do it. In the picture you referenced of my boat that was after I replaced my decals and I never questioned just getting the flat vinyl. New ones make a big difference even if they are stock. IMHO domed letters would make a boat with classic lines look like it is trying to be hip and edgy.

Nothing wrong with the latter, but mixing the two is like having a huge plastic Santa Claus looking over the nativity scene in your front yard at Christmas.

Another shot of my boat after the new decals.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/4514019315_a209385362_b.jpg

johnson19aj
05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I think I'm going to take your advice. So my final question is where did you get those decals? I need the EXACT same setup you have. If I could get in contact with where you bought them from I could possibly duplicate the order?

Kyle
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Well I guess that I have totally distroyed my boat and no body would ever want it due to the upgrades or as what others have posted downgrades. I guess the fold down platform with the new style teak that is a lot more sturdy, the new domed lettering, the stereo system, and the led lights just make the thing worthless and I should just give it away.:D

I seem to differ from the opinions here due to having a bone stock boat and the same boat with the downgrades. I get a lot more compliments now with the downgrades than I ever did before when it was a stock boat. I have also been offered way more than what I have paid for it but I did not want to sell it otherwise it would have been gone. I know several people with the same boat just different colors and the prices offered to me were several thousand more than what their boat sold for and there has been about 3 serioius buyers in the last year.

jipster43
05-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd do whatever you want to your boat. A bone stock '77 S&S in great shape still sells for under $10,000. It's not like these boats are Shelby Cobras. Your boat is going to depreciate no matter what you do to it, so you might as well make it your own. Perhaps you'll get lucky and your changes will appeal to potential buyers like Kyle seems to have done.

Just my .02 cents.

JP :)

Craig
05-25-2010, 11:42 PM
I think I'm going to take your advice. So my final question is where did you get those decals? I need the EXACT same setup you have. If I could get in contact with where you bought them from I could possibly duplicate the order?

Contact Jim@BAWS, him and Chuck hooked me up.

I put more info about how to install them in my refurb thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29296

P.S. I'm not saying anyone ruined anything; and I am not a purist that thinks it needs to be exactly stock. The domed lettering isn't my style and I do not think it looks good on older boats. I think the newer TT 197's with the dome lettering are bad ***, but I think my 94 would look silly.

Plenty of things on my boat are not stock, I was just happy with stock lettering. More importantly is everyone is happy with their own boat.

johnson19aj
05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for everyones help on this topic.

Just to follow up on why I came to this decision. I didn't realize the domed lettering was that expensive, I was looking at around $500 for the complete set. Considering the fact that I'm about ready to click over to 1300 hours on my boat, didn't think domed lettering would have been money well spent if you know what I mean. I would like to upgrade in the next 3-5 years anyway so some nice die-cut decals will do the trick for significantly less money.

Craig, you did an excellent job refurbing your prostar. I don't think I'll be able to post pictures now because it will put mine to shame :)