PDA

View Full Version : NEW Mastercraft Owner...

jwilliams0916
05-19-2010, 03:20 AM
I just bought my first boat last week. It is a 1997 Mastercraft Maristar 200 it is in wonderful condition, around 120 hours on the engine and was well taken care of. I grew up with my dad owning bass boats, but ski boats are new to me. I chose a MC after a friend of mine telling me that if i was to buy a used boat then look at a MC. I drove 13.5 hours there and back to get it. My family and i took the boat out twice last weekend, and it ran like a top. I am posting this to ask for any advise or info that anyone would want to give me. Thanks,
Jason

jdhart73
05-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Congrats man! You will get plenty of advice here.

FrankSchwab
05-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Change the impeller. It's cheap, easy, and saves headaches later. Do it every year in the spring.

Change the oil, filter, and transmission fluid, unless you're absolutely sure the PO had it done.

The first couple of times out, watch the engine oil and transmission fluid for water. If you see any milkiness, ask for help.

Turn off the bilge pump, and monitor how much water is getting in your bilge. Three hours out on the lake in mine normally only means a gallon or so of water in the bilge (an inch or so deep around the plug). If you pull the plug and the boat pees for a minute or two, you'll need to find where the water's coming in and fix it.

Make sure your nav lights work, you know where the stern light is (and how to hook it up), make sure you have all the required equipment aboard, make sure the fire extinguisher will pass an inspection, make sure you have lots of life jackets aboard. Put a float on the boat key, and put a spare key somewhere else in the boat.

Make sure the trailer's up to snuff. Tires less than 5 years old with good tread and no nasty cracking. No rusted-out areas. Make sure the stop/turn/running lights work. Make sure the brakes work and the master cylinder has fluid.

Then, go have fun. Oh, and go buy an Air Chair or Sky Ski and find someone to help you learn. It's a blast.

/frank

FoggyNogginz
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Frank has you well covered from the "must do" list, and CONGRATS on the purchase! I would also recommend checking out the FAQ from EastTX (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427)which has some great info on maintenance, service manuals, tools to keep in your boat etc.

If you need anything else and can't find it here, then chances are it's not related to Mastercraft!

Enjoy!

piper_chuck
05-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Congrats. I'm a new MC owner too. Nice boats. Should be a fun summer for you and your family.

MariStar-Man
05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi Jason! Wow when you say you got a new boat you didn't fool around... There is tons of info here, and some of the Most knowlegeable folks who know MasterCraft products inside and out.

There are many little quirks about Inboards, like when running your engine in the driveway with a hose, not to let the water pressure build without running the engine, or water could be forced into your engine oil.

Another might be, to heed the warning about using the blower for 4 minutes, before you or anyone starts the boat. Make sure blower is functioning.

Also, have enough life jackets, and "Fully Charged" fire extinguisher. If you get pulled over by marine police they can put a damper on your weekend...

Lastly, always ask unless your 100% sure about what your going to do to either the engine, or surrounding system.

Enjoy your MasterCraft... The Best Boats made in the world... :D

Oh! and remember to post pix of your boat

psychobilly
05-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey MS man, how does the water get forced into the motor with the water pressure?

FrankSchwab
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
JMHO -
There is some belief floating around that coolant that flows into the exhaust at the end ot the manifolds (where the rubber exhaust hose connects) can somehow flow uphill towards the engine, then flow down into the valve area, thence into the cylinders.

With the engine running, this water supposedly gets blown downstream and out the exhaust like it's supposed to.

I'm sure it happened once to someone somewhere, probably someone with a corroded manifold causing water to enter the exhaust stream in a non-standard location. Of course, you'd never know if that was your manifolds until your cylinder hydro-locked after running the hose with the engine off...

broncotw
05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Congrats bro... Welcome aboard....

psychobilly
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
JMHO -
There is some belief floating around that coolant that flows into the exhaust at the end ot the manifolds (where the rubber exhaust hose connects) can somehow flow uphill towards the engine, then flow down into the valve area, thence into the cylinders.

With the engine running, this water supposedly gets blown downstream and out the exhaust like it's supposed to.

I'm sure it happened once to someone somewhere, probably someone with a corroded manifold causing water to enter the exhaust stream in a non-standard location. Of course, you'd never know if that was your manifolds until your cylinder hydro-locked after running the hose with the engine off...

Thanx fer clearing that up frank. shwew..... Had me worried as I just done that yesterdee..... I recon I'll have ta use the hose in the bucket deal from now on... :D

MariStar-Man
05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanx fer clearing that up frank. shwew..... Had me worried as I just done that yesterdee..... I recon I'll have ta use the hose in the bucket deal from now on... :D

I wasn't exactly sure. i heard it here, and I'm glad Frank cleared that up for you.
As far as running on the hose, similar to the pic below. I start the engine, then turn valve which is in boat On, then let run. When I stop, I turn valve off, then 2 seconds later i shut off engine..

http://www.shrubs.co.uk/ekmps/shops/shrubscouk/images/gardena-13mm-hose-connector-with-control-valve-2942-26-ga-16074-p.jpg

jwilliams0916
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all of the advise. I will post some pictures of it later. The boat is in wonderful condition thanks to the previous owner. Hopefully i can keep it looking and running like new.

onejdgreen
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Congrats on the purchase! The only downside..... you will NEVER own anything other than a MasterCraft for the rest of your life!!!

oxberger
05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome aboard! You're gonna love that boat. Where in the souteast are you?

jwilliams0916
05-20-2010, 05:31 PM
I live in Alabama.