PDA

View Full Version : loose captains seat

xstarplease
05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I did a search but came up empty handed. I have an '05 X-2. It has the black square shaped seat base that is bolted to the floor. Between that base and the actual seat are two channel shaped brackets running the length of the seat. Screws hold the brackets to the black base. Herein lies the problem. I can't get these screws to stay tight. I even tried thread lock. They loosen up within the first 20 minutes on semi rough water. I thought about trying lock washers. Anyone dealt with this problem before? I may be wrong, but I think the 197 has a similar set up. Thanks

sand2snow22
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Same exact boat, same problem early on. Thread lock fixed it for me. Good luck!

Maristar210
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Lock washers, doublenuts and RED threadlock

xstarplease
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
They are screws, so I can't doublenut them. If I could get to the backside, I would replace them with bolts and put nylon lock nuts on them. I used red threadlock last time, but I'm going to try that one more time. I may have not tightened them enough last time.

timvan
05-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Add threadlock primer before using the red TL. I use this method on my custom V-twin bikes that vibrate more than any boat Ive ever been in

Luv2Ski
05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Your thread lock will not work well if there is any oils on the materials so be sure to clean them (denatured alcohol or similar). If that black base is plastic there is a chance that some oils are impregnated into the material so you will never get good adhesion.

You may want to focus on locking the two metal surfaces together (the rail and screw head). Have you tried either a standard or toothed lock washer? I would think a toothed lock washer maybe your best bet. You could also try using a adhesive between the screw and rail, the locktite may even work there.

Sodar
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I always use silicone to hold the screws in place. It makes them stay tight, but allows for them to be removed.

xstarplease
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I used the silicon per Sodar's suggestion, and I also used loc-tite. That combo survived through the weekend. It will really get put through the paces this weekend. Our lake, mid day on holiday weekends, looks like the ocean.