PDA

View Full Version : Grease zerk on rudder

Todd Brosius
05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I have a grease zerk on my rudder (located beneath the gas tank) on my '04 prostar 197. I don't think it's taking grease. How critical is greasing the zerk annually? My boat has about 220 hours on it and have attempted to grease the zerk at least annually. I think by removing the floor panel with the engine cover I can maybe see if I can remove the zerk and clean. The boat steers great - NOT turning hard at all!! Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem or how often the zerk should be greased?? I'm trying to avoid a bigger problem down the road!! I don't want to have to pull the gas tank later down the road to fix a bigger problem!!

sand2snow22
05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Great question. Bump?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Part of the function of keeping grease in this or any of the lubrication points under the floor is to keep water out. Corrosion starts as soon as the water gets in. If you know the grease zerk is not working - replace it.

TMCNo1
05-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Part of the function of keeping grease in this or any of the lubrication points under the floor is to keep water out. Corrosion starts as soon as the water gets in. If you know the grease zerk is not working - replace it.

The zerk fitting on the steering cable tube does not have a ball in it so it will relieve the pressure of the grease when the cable moves. If you replace it, replace it with one w/o a ball valve or a new tube from a dealer or the steering will lock up when you grease the tube. I've seen it happen and helped discover his problem.
I know someone who did that, thinking the zerk was bad and ordered another tube and then discovered the lack of the ball in the zerk when he got it from MC and he asked them about it. When he sold his boat, he gave me the tube and I now have his spare tube in my parts box as evidence and as a spare.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
The zerk fitting on the tube does not have a ball in it so it will relieve the pressure of the grease when the cable moves. If you replace it, replace it with one w/o a ball valve or a new tube from a dealer or the steering will lock up when you grease the tube. I've seen it happen and helped discover his problem.
I know someone who did that, thinking the zerk was bad and ordered another tube and then discovered the lack of the ball in the zerk when he got it from MC and he asked them about it. When he sold his boat, he gave me the tube and I now have his spare tube in my parts box as evidence and as a spare.

Great info TMCNo1. Then if the grease zerk isn't accepting grease either the grease level is full or the zerk is gunked up? Would the simple answer be to be sure its open by inserting a wire through the zerk?

slickwater1
05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
yeah take a tip cleaner from a welding shop and clean out zerk. mine was rusted up and took a cleaner and then applied grease.

TMCNo1
05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Great info TMCNo1. Then if the grease zerk isn't accepting grease either the grease level is full or the zerk is gunked up? Would the simple answer be to be sure its open by inserting a wire through the zerk?

You can take it out, clean it, but when you grease it with more than about big 3 shots, grease will come out where the cable exits or when you remove the grease gun the excess grease will squirt out the zerk fitting. Then, go to the helm, turn the steering wheel to the left and to the right and you will see the excess grease also squirt out of the zerk fitting, but there will be pleanty left to lubricate and to keep it sealed from water. I prefer to use the Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing Grease, available @ ACE Hardware, Marinas, boat dealers and even Walmart. It's hard to even wash off stuff with lacquer thinner and or mineral spirits when cleaning parts that has it on it.