PDA

View Full Version : Battery/Stereo Help

seth25
05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Here is the current setup of my 00 Maristar 230 with LTR engine. It currently has two batteries connected by a Perko switch. I have 8 speakers total with two 12" subs. I have two Fosgate 551x amps and some other stuff by the amps that I don't know what it is. When I bought the boat, the sub box was disconnected, I assume because it was using too much power. We stopped for about 10 minutes listening to the radio and I lost the sub power. I switched to "both" on the Perko switch and the sub started working again. The alternator says Leece Neville 51 amps on the side tag, and there is another tag on the back that says 4 amps. I don't know the age of the batteries and plan on replacing them, and I am assuming that I need to upgrade the alternator as well. There is a Fosgate 200 amp fuse that is mounted right by the Perko switch.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but don't know much about audio systems and power. It looks like someone put alot of money into the system and it looks like a clean install, just wondering why they wouldn't upgrade the alternator as well.

Just need a little help in what batteries I should ad and what I need to do with the alternator. I want to be able to listen to the radio for 30min-1hr without having to start the boat up.

Here are some pics of what I have....

seth25
05-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Here is what is mounted under the passenger side compartment. I know the two Fosgate amps, but I don't know what the rest of it is....

MidTexSkier
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Those small clear boxes look like the crossovers for the mids and highs (should be 6.5" speakers and tweeters). Some manufacturers combine the tweeters and speakers together like a coax speaker (2 ways and 3 ways speakers) and still use a crossover. When working with audio equipment one of the easiest things to do is follow the wires.

Thrall
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I bought an Odyssey dual purpose battery last year for my 190. Have it running my amps in the X2 this year with an Optima blue top (dual starting/deep well) for my start battery.
I isolated the 3 amps to the house battery (Odyssey) and everything else in the boat runs off the start battery, just like OEM setup.
I only have them linked with an Blue Sea ACR for charging and with one lake trip under my belt it worked perfectly. I never ran down either battery and with 45deg water and a small lake, most of the day was spent sitting with tunes on and engine off. Ran the stereo at varying volumes for 1-2 hrs at a time without starting the boat, boat only had about 2.5hrs of run time with 8 hrs on the water.
The Odyssey was pushing 8 JL component spkrs and a 12" Boston dvc sub thru a 2ch Boston amp, 6 ch JL amp and a JL sub amp.
Guess I'd reccomend Odyssey batteries. Can't comment on the longevity as it's only in it's 2nd season and I only bought the Optima b/c I was lazy and picked it up locally for almost $100 less than the Odyssey.
Heard Die hard Platinums are just re-branded Odyssey AGM batteries as well.