PDA

View Full Version : Back brace/support for wakeboarding

kgrove
05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Anyone come up with a good brace or support for lower back injuries while wakeboarding? Obviously the better long term solution is stretching and strengthening exercises, but I'm looking for a creative short term solution to reduce lower back fatigue. I've thought about either a weight lifting belt or perhaps one of those back support contraptions I see the Home Depot guys wearing (wear it under the life vest).

Any other ideas? Experience?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I wear a weight lifting belt during fishing tournaments where I will be casting for up to ten hours and it is an absolute lifesaver. Never thought about how well it would work for wakeboarding.

Thrall
05-18-2010, 06:40 PM
How about a moto x back brace? Use it for snowmobiling on "stuck" days. Lightweight, would dry quickly.

mccobmd
05-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I have a back problem and will use a neoprene brace that gives some support. Problem with weight lifting belt is hard to get a life jacket over them especially if you have a neoprene jacket. I did find a nike weight belt that is a good medium solution, belt webbing in the front with cloth and plastic stays in the back. It goes pretty easily under a jacket and dries fast. It also color coordinates with my knee and elbow braces;) It's not the years that is getting me it is the mileage. By the way this is my first season with really good preseason stretching and strengthening, I'll let you know.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a back problem and will use a neoprene brace that gives some support. Problem with weight lifting belt is hard to get a life jacket over them especially if you have a neoprene jacket. I did find a nike weight belt that is a good medium solution, belt webbing in the front with cloth and plastic stays in the back. It goes pretty easily under a jacket and dries fast. It also color coordinates with my knee and elbow braces;) It's not the years that is getting me it is the mileage. By the way this is my first season with really good preseason stretching and strengthening, I'll let you know.

That is the same back belt I have.

mccobmd
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I have a 3 ply leather one with large buckle approx 6 inches that I think of when I say weight belt like this one. It's the one I used for powerlifting in college when I was developing the hernia I had fixed in November similar to this one. That Nike one works great.