PDA

View Full Version : Check This Oil Out!

medicmoose
05-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Here's what I found in my crankcase after bringing the boat 2 1/2 hours back from the dealer who assured me that the oil, while looking a little dark, was just fine and there was no need for them to change it. :rolleyes: This is after the first run when my raw water intake hose blew.

oxberger
05-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Man that looks bad. I'm sorry for your troubles. Did you call the dealer and if so, what did they say?

scott023
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Holy!!! That's beyond unacceptable. :confused:

Miss Rita
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
If that's water, how did it get there?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Sure looks like water. Hot bad did it overheat when the raw water intake hose blew?

kyfooter
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Last time I saw oil like that it was a result of a cracked block from an improper winterization (Not my boat).

Jorski
05-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Ummm...I'm sorry for your loss???:confused:

medicmoose
05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Sure looks like water. Hot bad did it overheat when the raw water intake hose blew?

The engine didn't overheat as I shut it down fairly quickly...no alarms sounded. However, as those raw water intakes pump water real fast...the engine bay filled up with water fast! When I showed the dealer the picture I was told that some water could have come in through the oil cooler and even an ounce of water could discolor the oil like that. I don't know about that...this is the first experience I've had with water in oil.

ttu
05-18-2010, 05:52 PM
the same thing happened to me on my 07 x2. indmar already new there was a problem with that hose, just dealer had not switched the hose out before selling it to me.

it took 3 oil changes and 2 vdrive oil changes to clean it all up. 130 hours later no problems as of yet.

Thrall
05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
That stinks! Don't know how water could ever get into your oil by filling the bilge, except maybe the bottom of the dipstick??
How full did the bilge get? Any oil leaks (where water could get in, oil pan, main seals?)
Better check the trans too.
Warranty I assume, new(er) boat?

scott023
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
The engine didn't overheat as I shut it down fairly quickly...no alarms sounded. However, as those raw water intakes pump water real fast...the engine bay filled up with water fast! When I showed the dealer the picture I was told that some water could have come in through the oil cooler and even an ounce of water could discolor the oil like that. I don't know about that...this is the first experience I've had with water in oil.

That seems really unlikely to me.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Good that it didn't do the major overheat and have blown gaskets or warped heads as the water source. How much oil did you drain out? That is your indicator how much water got into the oil.

etduc
05-18-2010, 06:18 PM

If water came from the oil cooler, wouldn't that mean the oil cooler is bad/cracked/broken? If there is no water in the block, the temp sender, won't read right. Do a compression check. Always a possibility of warped or cracked head. As to bearings etc, your probaby o.k.

Thrall
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
If water came from the oil cooler, wouldn't that mean the oil cooler is bad/cracked/broken? If there is no water in the block, the temp sender, won't read right. Do a compression check. Always a possibility of warped or cracked head. As to bearings etc, your probaby o.k.

Our boats don't have an engine oil cooler that I know of. Trans oil cooler....yes.

etduc
05-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Our boats don't have an engine oil cooler that I know of. Trans oil cooler....yes.

Thrall is right. I read oil cooler, mind went to regular truck engine. My bad.

JimN
05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's what I found in my crankcase after bringing the boat 2 1/2 hours back from the dealer who assured me that the oil, while looking a little dark, was just fine and there was no need for them to change it. :rolleyes: This is after the first run when my raw water intake hose blew.

I would call the dealership and demand to talk to the owner. If they winterized it, it's their baby.

Thrall
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I would call the dealership and demand to talk to the owner. If they winterized it, it's their baby.

Oh right, you're in Canadia (medicmoose, not you Jim:D) and this was your first trip this year IIRC when the hose blew. Starting to put 2+2 together. Big cube of ice stretched out the hose that popped possibly, water didn't get in from the bilge....it got out of the waterjackets into the cyl! Not looking good.

vision
05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I am by no means an expert, but to get that appearance of oil you have to whip the oil and the water together, you can not just gently mix the two. This would mean that the water had to enter your crankcase while the motor was running.

Combine this with the dealer's claim that the oil was fine (I assume when they winterized it) then I know of no other way to get this appearance oil beside water coming in to the crankcase through a cracked water jacket from improper winterization.

I hope I am wrong and there is another explanation.

kkkeating
05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
At this point, I'd change the oil and filter, run it for 15 minutes, repeat the process to ensure all the water is out and then monitor the oil closely.

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Cracked Block, like JimN said get it back to the dealer and call a counselor.

Dad 2 3
05-18-2010, 09:37 PM
A cylinder leakage test will be more telling than a compression test since you'll be able to track where the air is leaking to (past the rings, intake or ex valve, etc.....). In addition, you can track the rate of leakage from one cylinder to another and have specific data for anyone who disputes that all systems may be functioning properly.

Sorry you have to go through this cr@p to begin with.

medicmoose
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
The oil is still draining...very slowly as I didn't want to run it again to warm up the oil...so I'm not yet sure how much fluid in total will come out of the crankcase.

After changing the tranny oil the dealer ran the engine up to temperature thereby mixing the oil and water together even more. But wouldn't you know it, they checked the oil before running the engine and not after. They were more concerned about the water in the transmission.

They suggested that I change the oil (gee thanks :rolleyes:) and then take it for a short run and re-check the oil level. They said, if the oil level rises....we have a problem due to fluid (water) getting into the crankcase. But, if the fluid level remains unchanged that it should be okay.

I'll see what kind of testing can be done locally (compression and air leakage). Should I have this done before I put it in the water? The dealer had it running in the shop and said it ran fine....but as you might imagine, I am having trouble trusting their word at this time.

JimN
05-18-2010, 11:12 PM
They said, if the oil level rises....we have a problem due to fluid (water) getting into the crankcase. But, if the fluid level remains unchanged that it should be okay.

Sounds like someone has an acute sense of the obvious, eh?

Ask what they mean by 'we'. If they literally mean 'we', as in 'they', I agree but if they're including you in 'we', I would have a problem with that viewpoint.

Maristar210
05-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd use lots of words ModX says we can't.

scott023
05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I'd use lots of words ModX says we can't.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously medicmoose, you shouldn't have to do any of the testing yourself. I'd make the dealer fix what is wrong while I was driving a loaner from them.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I can't believe the dealer ran it up to temp without being sure all the water is out. Water in the oil will soften the bearing material (and allow the material to wear faster) and shorten the life of the engine.

I would have a serious conversation with both the service manager and the owner before they were allowed to take care of this problem. You will be well advised to document everything as you go along and save all the info in case there are problems down the road once this is all taken care of. Good luck.

vision
05-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Am I missing something?

Assuming the engine was not underwater, how do you get that amount of water, mixed that well with your engine oil, without a cracked water jacket in the block or significant internal leak in the cooling pathways?

Is there another mechanism?

Eagle Lake Rebel
05-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Check the tranny cooler because on newer boats it also cools the engine oil. 4 lines go to my cooler....2 go to the tranny 2 to the engine via the remote oil filter lines (LY6 engine). I deal with water in oil all the time at my work and you have got way more than an ounce. Take what has been drained out put it in a clear jar wait several days and the water and oil will seperate...that will give you a clue as to the ratio of oil to water you were running.

medicmoose
05-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Okay, so I put some new oil in and ran it in the lake for about 45 mins. Brought it home and change the oil again. It didn't appear that there was any more water in the oil so here's hoping that no real damage was done!!

Off to enjoy the long weekend. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
05-21-2010, 03:37 PM
That sounds promising. Keep checking that oil level.