PDA

View Full Version : What to expect to pay for project boat?

samgreazy
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I have found a project boat and I was wondering what should I expect to pay for it? Guy says motor and tranny are going to need to be replaced. Flooring has been removed already, but he says the boat is complete. This would be my first project boat and I understand what I am getting myself into. Although I don't want to get myself into a financial situation that will sink me. I would like to be able to get my money out of the boat once I am done. So, with that said what do you think I should pay for the boat, oh it is a 1978 Stars and Stripes.

JohnE
05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
I think you will be lucky to break even when you sell, not factoring in your time. Especially being your first project.

I don't mean to be disrespectful with that either. Good luck if you do decide to go for it. And post lots of pics.

YTW
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Think of this project the same way as paying for an education. It cost to get started and continues to cost until graduation. It my have a good return, but only after reusing the training for some period of time.

FrankSchwab
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
'78 S&S, needs a new motor and a new transmission?

Currently disassembled to the point that you can't verify "the boat is complete"?

If you're looking for a challenge, something to keep you out of trouble, this is probably it.

Frankly, I don't think you should pay anything for it - offering to drag it away is about all it's worth. You may have to pay him a couple hundred dollars to get him to agree, but treat that as throwaway.

Don't buy an engine/transmission until you get the rest of the boat done or nearly done. Those are easy but expensive purchases; wait until you've actually done the hard stuff to pay for them. A huge percentage of people who want to build a kit plane buy the expensive engine first, spend a couple of weeks working on the plane, then lose interest - and they end up with an expensive hunk of aluminum/steel in their garage for the next 10 years.

/frank

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
How complete is the boat? Parts for these are very hard to find. Is the windshield intact? You might need to spend $1500 for a new replacement windshield. What condition is the engine in? If its not rebuildable, finding a reverse rotation engine can be expensive. I'm not trying to talk you out of a great project. I am doing a '77 now. what condition is the trailer in?

If its all intact and the engine is rebuildable, you should be able to pick it up for $500 or less.

americanskierJim
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I am doing a restoration on this sight. I did the motor and trans all the little things I have some heavy money tied up but now that it almost done it has been worth it all. Most guys I see it takes some time to finish it. I couldnt agree more with doing that but I have put my boat into full gear to get done and have some fun on the lake this summer. But the thing I had going for me is I got mine for $100.00 with the trailer. Good luck on you'r decision.

samgreazy
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
This guy wants $1500. When I say complete he meant all the little nick nacks, vents, original speedo, and gauges and the little stuff....but the big stuff he said that he could not confirm if the engine could be rebuilt or not. If I could get the thing for $100 or 200 I wouldn't have thought twice about it but since he wants an arm and a leg for it kind of threw me off. The trailer he says is in good shape needs painting and some work but is towable.

oxberger
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
To me, it sounds like he's asking too much for it. Since you don't know what's wrong with the engine or the mechanics of it and the trailer needs work too, I'd say at the most $700 and even that's high. That $700 is factoring in the quality of it being a MC.

91prostar
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe one of these would be better,, guy has six SS for sale saw this today

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/1741981631.html

oxberger
05-18-2010, 03:19 PM
That listing is in Market Place here also. Not sure what he wants for any of them. They don't look too bad on the outside judging from the photos.

Jim@BAWS
05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
To me, it sounds like he's asking too much for it. Since you don't know what's wrong with the engine or the mechanics of it and the trailer needs work too, I'd say at the most $700 and even that's high. That $700 is factoring in the quality of it being a MC.

AGREE $500-$1000

Start at $500

Jim@BAWS

A very good leaning experience indeed. Just dont get in over your head. It is your money
your time and soon to be your passion. Have fun with it. Learn alot and get some
photos posted as soon as you get it

americanskierJim
05-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Maybe one of these would be better,, guy has six SS for sale saw this today

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/1741981631.html

Look who is looking for another one to restore. I called John and he has another LTD. He said he would call me back tonight. I will get some prices.

oxberger
05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Look who is looking for another one to restore. I called John and he has another LTD. He said he would call me back tonight. I will get some prices.

Sweet! Another resto thread by the man! I haven't started my own because of money constraints. Things happen so slow that the posts would be months and months apart.

americanskierJim
05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Sweet! Another resto thread by the man! I haven't started my own because of money constraints. Things happen so slow that the posts would be months and months apart.

LOL, I dont know about the man but Thank you oxberger, I know some things take time to get done but at some point they end. I will have to see what the cost is of the boat I might have to sell the Harley. I know this thoe the water feels much better than the black top. As alot of you on here and my self rid the bike and get the boat and fixer up.

oxberger
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
LOL, I dont know about the man but Thank you oxberger, I know some things take time to get done but at some point they end. I will have to see what the cost is of the boat I might have to sell the Harley. I know this thoe the water feels much better than the black top. As alot of you on here and my self rid the bike and get the boat and fixer up.

samgreazy sorry for the threadjack. Jim selling one toy to pay for another? OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!:eek: Being a fellow rider, I understand the dilema.

Muttley
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
If you're doing this to get money out of it, or if you're worried about it "financially sinking you" I'd say it's a bad idea. It needs to be a labour of love. By the time you're done, you will have spent 1,000s of hours, busted a lot of knuckles, and spent probably close to $10,000. on a boat that won't be worth much more than that.

HOWEVER, you will have learned a ton and have one heckuva cool boat! It would be worth it if you were to keep it, but unless you have connections to deals, a place with lifts, tools, and already know what you're doing, I'd consider carefully what you're getting into.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer... just that if you're looking to buy it, fix it up and sell it, there won't be a lot of profit.

I definitely wouldn't give him more than a grand.