PDA

View Full Version : Found a broken part -

5280Hawk
05-17-2010, 07:15 PM
I was working on my Boat yesterday (2002 Xstar) - and found a 3/4" white PVC check valve that was broken into about 5 peices!

It was on a hose that ran along the starboard side under the engine, next to the Bilge pump line. One way, the line goes to a through-hull on the rear starboard side, next the the bilge through-hull, and the other side goes into a metal block, with a bunch more hoses coming out.

All i can think is that I didn't get all the water out of it before winter and it exploded when the water froze, anybody know what it is, and where to get a new one?

Thanks!

Wakemaker
05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Ballast intake

swatguy
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
That is your ballast check valve most likely for your center sac. You need it for sure. Any dealer should stock it, West Marine should have it, or www.wakemakers.com. Most likey the line wasn't cleaned out before storage and had some water in there. It pools at that check valve so likely the culprit.

Easy way to make sure where it goes, pull the floor up by the hole that gets you to the plug and you can follow the hose. There are no bolts to turn just give it a good yank and try and keep the floor as level as possible and wiggle it out towards the bow and viola. Access to all your pumps and hose lines from the bilge and cenetr sac.

nmcjr
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I just replaced mine, I found one at a hardware store, not sure if it will work as well, but I'll know in a couple days. Also, the threaded ones are a little harder to find than the slip fit type. Just note the direction of the flow so you can replace it the same way.

5280Hawk
05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I know it's not the ballast water intake, the valve exit side goes to the through-hull above the water line, right below the rub rail. Maybe the vent line for the ballast?? I found one that looks similar, it has female threads at both ends. should work. Thanks folks!

I'll have to remember to open it up at the end of the season and drain it.

nmcjr
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes, sorry, it is the check valve for the discharge line. There is one for each side and one for the intake line. The arrow should point in the direction of the thru hull.

5280Hawk
05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Damn I better check all three. I ran the pumps to empty the system during winterization, I've replaced my hard tanks in the back, so i pulled the sacks out, but i didn't think i had to worry about the vent lines.

Live and learn for a new boat owner who doesn't like to pay the dealer for sqwat....

swatguy
05-18-2010, 12:49 AM
All the vent lines have check valves to prevent air sucking into the system. So def check them.

Also not sure if you have the older style speedos with the tubes attached to your MDC (can't recal what year they switched paddlewheels) but if you do make sure you unhook them from the MDC and blow hard otherwise after the winter your MDC will be toast.

5280Hawk
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Nope, it has the paddle wheel.

djkslc
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I found the same problem on my 2002 xstar. I went to drain the ballast and it flooded out the engine compartment until the bilge kicked on. Figured out both exit line check valves had cracked and the water never made it up and out of the boat. Luckily realized early in the empty process.

None of the boat shops around here had one so I went to home depot and they had a sprinkler check valve (picture below) that with some connectors fit. I was able to empty the tanks just fine in the driveway after install. I have not had it on the water yet. I am wondering if I will run into any problems with this style because the valve just is metal on metal when closed. I noticed that the one that came out of the boat is a rubber seal when closed. Any ideas if I will run into problems? The one positive I see is that it is not plastic and it shouldn't freeze. I hope it works.