PDA

View Full Version : ballast impellers

treptowr
05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
So I want to replace my ballast impellers. Right now I have the yellow for the two rear sacs in my 02 X-star that seem to work OK. I had the black impeller for my kgb and bow, but during spring inspection, I noticed it had two vains that were partially tore so I replaced it with my extra yellow impeller I had. The problem is, the yellow impeller would fill the kgb sac and bow sac, but not have enough pressure to empty it. I put the old black impeller back in and was able to drain the kgb and bow sacs. I've never had problems with my black impeller before, but switched to the yellow due to recommendations here. Now I hear the impellers are green. Stiffness half way between the black and yellow impeller or something like that? Is that the case and if so, where is the best place to get 3 quick. Go with Green? Thanks.

xstarplease
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Go with green. There are multiple threads on this subject on teamtalk as well as other boards. I can only speak for the black and the green. I have never tried the yellow, but it is pretty well documented by many as having the same problems you are having. The green have been working great for me.

MC X-15
05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
so ive searched the forum for a link to a place that sells the green impellars but havent found one. Anyone have a link? boats an 08 x-15SS if that matters/ My KGB wont fill, at all and my rear tanks are very slow. Im in brackish water so i assume they jsut need to be changed. Thanks!

treptowr
05-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I just ordered 3 green impellers from Jim at BAWS 1.813.996.2297

bturner2
05-17-2010, 03:30 PM
What's the going price for these this year?

CruisinGA
05-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Last year, I got a couple from Mastercraft of Charlotte. www.mymastercraft.com

Smoothie
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Jim says go green that hippy get them from him. I need to go up get one. My KGB often loses prime or something typically if I go fill then empty it starts again. Not sure if its the same issue.

treptowr
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
smoothie, my kgb does the same where it seems to lose prime and I have to switch to fill momentarily and back to drain to get it to start pumping again. But it is worse when the yellow impeller is in. Better when the black one is in, but I still feel like I'm babysitting that sac all the time making sure it empties. I usually try to empty that sac while just above idle so the nose is up and the water runs back to the drain line. When just at idle, it seems like the water doesn't get back to the drain/fill line well. Maybe even runs toward the bow?

bturner2, the impellers are about $25 each.

Smoothie
05-17-2010, 05:27 PM
I have the exact same boat as you. I will either do the fill empty switch or just lift bag and put pressure on the pump forcing water to it. I assume its because when your emptying your KGB bag is below the pump. Also have heard if there is a sag in the line air can get caught there and wont empty. Do you have any problems with your KGB bag venting?? I am going to trade out a yellow with a green and see how that works. Very seriously considering bi passing the entire ballast set up and doing two more thru hulls and re routing everything. Your right you should not have to babysit the sac.

nmcjr
05-17-2010, 07:31 PM
My local mastercraft dealer has them, and before that I got them from MY MC. They do work better than the yellow ones, for example, with the yellow ones I could never get my KGB to empty that last little bit while on the trailer (say if I forgot to empty it all the way on the water) and now with the green ones it will, and I no longer have to do the fill-empty toggle, so the green ones seem to self prime better.

treptowr
05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
smoothie,
Not sure what kind of venting problem you are talking about. My KGB sac does fill with air when trailering. I stuck a spring loaded check valve on the vent/overflows but it didn't help. So I'm often disconnecting the drain fill line to burp the sac. If I don't and there is a lot of air in the sac, for some reason the water won't come out the overflow/vent when the sac is full.

nmcjr
05-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Guys, I know the exact problem you are having. I used to have the same problem. Ever since I switched to the green impellers I just flip on the switch and wait for it to drain out the overflows. I don't ever open the door to the KGB any more or fuss with it at all. I think the green impellers have just a little more kick and can blow the water out of the overflow. Now that I have fixed the check valve I flip on all three and then turn them off when they are all full--its a whole new ballast filling experience, and is so much better!

nmcjr
05-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Oh, actually one other thing I just thought of was that my center pump went out at the same time I went to the green impellers, so its brand new. So, I guess I'm not sure if it was the new pump or the green impellers that fixed it, but in any case I finally have a fully automatic system.

bwop
05-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Installed the green impellers and sometimes the pump wont turn on and the switch will flash twice(over voltage) as if they are too stiff and wont spin.