PDA

View Full Version : Wake surfboard question.

CantRepeat
05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I've been doing some reading about skimboard style and conventional style boards. The one thing that I seem to see is the conventional style of boards ride higher in the water and will free surf a much smaller wave.

Is this true, do the conventional style boards have an easier time getting glide?

MartinCaron
05-17-2010, 01:56 PM
true but your not gonna scale your wake differently for one or the other

CantRepeat
05-17-2010, 02:00 PM
true but your not gonna scale your wake differently for one or the other

Yeah, I get that. I'm just thinking I might have better success with the bigger boards.

mccobmd
05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I compared the hyperlite broadcast and Inland surfer red woody same day, same boat, same weight. The red woody was much easier to free surf, could even catch up when I fell behind. With the broadcast I had a much smaller window to be able to free surf. I have 06 x1 with about 2 1/2 foot wave

kgrove
05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
There are a great many factors at play and you've hit a few. Bigger riders need bigger boards and/or bigger waves. Bigger boards tend to develop more straight line speed and thus free surf easier, but aren't as nimble for turning, tricks, spins, etc.

The one that frequently gets skipped over is skill... A skillful rider wastes far less of the wave's energy with sloppy turns and is more capable of generating thrust by working the wave correctly. As you gain more experience, you'll likely be able to move down to smaller, "trickier" boards. Most beginners are quite sloppy with their turns and need a bigger board than an expert rider on the same wave.