PDA

View Full Version : First time out - 2003 X-2

Jason99T/A
05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I took out the 2003 X-2 I just bought last week. Nice improvements over the 1999 Prostar 205 (DD) I just sold. Boat ran great. Only issue I had was the boat wanted to “porpoise” above 35mph (bounce up and down). Moving people around in the boat did not seem to help the problem. I researched this a good bit and it seems to be a fairly common problem on a few models and I believe Mastercraft offers a trim tab setup on newer models.. My ’99 205 did not have this issue though. It was a direct drive, so don’t know if that makes a difference or not. Not a huge deal as we don’t typically run at these speeds unless heading to or from the launch, or pulling a skier/tuber.

I do not know if a trim tab will allow the boat to fit in the garage as it is already a very tight fit. I have heard of some people molding a fiberglass hook of some sort. I have not seen pics though of what this looks like installed.

I have a bunch of pics to upload this week. :) Look forward to taking it out again this week!

xstarplease
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm curious to see someone chime in on this. I have an '05 X-2 (same boat), and it doesn't have any problems above 35 mph. It tops out around 42 mph. Congrats on the new boat.

Archimedes
05-17-2010, 03:18 PM
My 06 X-1 doesn't porpoise at top speed.

Have you tried filling the center ballast? I do that in mine when I'm in rough water and it helps the ride. That might help with your porpoising.

Jason99T/A
05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I will test out filling the center ballast this weekend. Moving weight/people around in the boat didn't seem to make much of a difference though.

brucemac
05-17-2010, 03:44 PM
hey archimedes, what prop and what motor out of curiosity.

mine porpoises above 34-36 depending, even with weight, but i'm chalking it up to the OJ 14.75x15.5 XMP prop.

it never porpoised with the old prop, but i was running pretty fast and at much lower rpm's.

Archimedes
05-17-2010, 04:09 PM

mine porpoises above 34-36 depending, even with weight, but i'm chalking it up to the OJ 14.75x15.5 XMP prop.

it never porpoised with the old prop, but i was running pretty fast and at much lower rpm's.

Whatever came on the boat new. Haven't touched the prop.

mccobmd
05-17-2010, 06:17 PM

I have the 06 X1. Prop is a 13.7 X 17V HJOJ. No porpoising at top speed 43 ( speedo may be off a little). Looked a prop upgrade but don't run full ballast enough to upgrade. Weight in ski locker helps the ride. I pu 350 lbs of lead in the bow (ski locker empty) and helps the ski wake as well.

swatguy
05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
No porpoising unless I am stuffed full of 2k. I run the Acme 1235. see my tag. Before the upgrade it was the OJ upgrade from a couple years back the 13.7. No porpoising with either when empty.

How many people did you have in the boat? I run my boat always with at least my center bag fill. The boat seems to handle the chop much better. Then again I ride with a skeleton crew usually of the wife and 2 little ones. Most of the time my 600lb'r is full all the way up there. and th center bag is empty. However if we are just out for a cruise the 600lbs is empty and the stock bag is full.

It's not uncommon for this boat to have a little. Prop and weight are the big factors for sure

Also Jay what prop are you running?

Jason99T/A
05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys. We had 4 adults, including myself in the boat. Didn't seem to make much of a difference on where they were seated. All ballasts tanks were empty when the boat would porpoise. I never ran the boat above 30mph with tanks full. Will try to experiment more this weekend.

Factory prop. Didn't plan to upgrade that until I added more ballast to the boat.

nmcjr
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Just to clarify, is this in choppy water? Mine does not handle rough water very well, I usually have to keep it at around 25 MPH in rough water. I think this is typical of this boat and I usually cruise at 25-30 anyway for fuel conservation reasons so not a big deal to me. On smooth water I have no issue at all. I don't get it while pulling a wakeboarder and filling the center ballast should help. I think it would be hard to retrofit a trim tab that didn't cause more harm than good.

Jason99T/A
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Very calm water. River was smooth and we were the only ones out there, so no issues with other wakes.

TOO-TALL
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM

How do you like this prop?
Did you see a gain in fuel milage? and or hole shot?
I have the stock prop on and may be switching soon.
My boat will some times porpoise around 35 in rough water,but I rarely go that fast.When it does start to bounce just slow down alittle(Ski locker bag full+200lbs lead up front).

sand2snow22
05-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Strange, never had this problem. Only time is if we had too much weight in the back, whether it's ballast or people. I have a hard time believing if you put those 4 people up front it would still do it? I could be wrong, but worth a shot. I've hit 47 MPH, GPS verified. Faster you go, the more the nose goes down. Are you sure your back tanks are empty?

mccobmd
05-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I've looked into the trim tab. No good way to do a single in the middle, would have to be surf tabs on both sides. Not sure it would help that much with the hull shape.

brucemac
05-18-2010, 12:10 AM
How do you like this prop?
Did you see a gain in fuel milage? and or hole shot?
I have the stock prop on and may be switching soon.
My boat will some times porpoise around 35 in rough water,but I rarely go that fast.When it does start to bounce just slow down alittle(Ski locker bag full+200lbs lead up front).

i really like it.

definitely a significant increase in hole shot.

never really tracked the gas, but i'm pretty sure it chews through it a bit more than the prop it replaced. :)

really close to the limiter at WOT, so cruising speeds are quite a bit slower.

Jason99T/A
05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll try out a few things this weekend and report back. Very strange how some boats have an issue and some don't?

I am 100% sure ballast tanks were completely empty when the porpoising occurred.

bcboy
05-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Is there any sort of tide change in the river???? Sometimes my X-1 seemed to roll with a flooding tide if I was cruising into it! I use the boat in a fresh water tidal lake in Canada(Pitt Lake) and it is amazing the effect current and tide effect the handling.

FoggyNogginz
05-20-2010, 08:56 PM
You might need a prop with slightly less pitch to put a little more boat back in the water. I just went through this myself and found that swapping props on a 2002 X9 solved the problem. All boats bounce when they hit a wake, but mine was bouncing on glass at 35mph +.

See my thread here:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34309&highlight=acme&page=3

My suggestion is to call ACME (or OJ if you prefer), tell them exactly what you have for engine, length, WOT, and existing prop, and top speed. They will work it out for you and they will even let you return the prop if it does not solve the problem. Can't lose much but time. :-)

Good luck!

H20BOY
05-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I had the same issue on my 2000 X-Star. Everything was great until you hit 35 then it went to hopping.

2000XPSD
05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
i have a 04 x2 and it porpoises like hell too. i don't really care tho as i don't really go for top speed too much...spend most of the time wakeboading @ 25mph.
But get some weight and stick it in the nose if you want to fix it

TimB
05-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Have a competent dealer check the rudder and prop shaft alignment. I had a 2004 X2 that porpoised under all conditions above 40 mph. Drove me crazy. It turned out the previous owner had run it aground and the strut and rudder were both messed up. The strut was misaligned and the rudder was missing a bushing and hung down an extra 1/2". Not only did it porpoise but it took a lot of effort to turn left. The dealer assured me this would take care of the problem.

I wish I could tell you how it turned out but I traded the boat in for a new X1 the same day. It does not porpoise.

FrankSchwab
05-21-2010, 08:39 PM
No porpoise in mine.

/frank

brucemac
05-21-2010, 08:51 PM
i don't doubt that a misaligned rudder and shaft could cause issues, but porpoising?

case in point, i paid to have mine fully inspected along with a shaft and motor alignment when i bought her with 63 hours. no porposing before or after. changed the prop and porpoising began above 34'ish.