PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surf Ban

Gerald Martin
05-17-2010, 09:44 AM
So...we are out on Eagle Mountain Lake near Fort Worth, Tx on the first decent day this year. We threw out my sons (16 years old) wake surf board and rope to let me take a turn in the nice weather. Within two minutes we are pulled over by the Lake Patrol who says they need to do a safety check and let us know they have deemed wake surfing unsafe and not allowed at this lake. They won't specifiy a specific length of rope required. It is left up to the officer patroling the lake.

We have a house on this lake purchased for the express use of our water toys. Is there any way to fight these typed of arbitrary bans? We are pulling my son at 9 mph behind a Mastercraft X-15. They mentioned the threat of carbon monoxide and danger of sudden stop throwing him into the prop.

This kind of overprotection by government entities make me crazy.

Jerry

h2oski
05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Google search wake surfing bans in California and Arizona I have heard of similar cases. Good luck! That kind of crap makes me so mad!! Its up to the officer?? Screw them!

Gerald Martin
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Based on the "its up to the officer" they could decide pretty much anything we do on the lake is too dangerous.

Jerry

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
So...we are out on Eagle Mountain Lake near Fort Worth, Tx on the first decent day this year. We threw out my sons (16 years old) wake surf board and rope to let me take a turn in the nice weather. Within two minutes we are pulled over by the Lake Patrol who says they need to do a safety check and let us know they have deemed wake surfing unsafe and not allowed at this lake. They won't specifiy a specific length of rope required. It is left up to the officer patroling the lake.

We have a house on this lake purchased for the express use of our water toys. Is there any way to fight these typed of arbitrary bans? We are pulling my son at 9 mph behind a Mastercraft X-15. They mentioned the threat of carbon monoxide and danger of sudden stop throwing him into the prop.

This kind of overprotection by government entities make me crazy.

Jerry

I would fight it and go to the agency in charge of the patrol that stopped you. What authority controls the lake?? Corp lake?

ahhudgins
05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't wake surf, but I'm curious how something like this will turn out in court? What one officer sees as "unsafe" another may not. Technically, we put ourselves (and our children) at risk every time we get behind the boat. I guess if they see you pulling your kid barefooting at 35 MPH they could say In my opinion, it was unsafe. Hang gliding, skateboarding, and snow skiing are all unsafe...I would just like to ask the judge "What LAW were you breaking?"
Good luck on that one.

Gerald Martin
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't think this is a Corp lake. It is managed by a regional water board. It is a very frustrating situation. We watched people wake surf before and after we were stopped. We can not do this now because the officer basically said he would give us a warning this time but a $300 ticket next time.

Jerry

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Have to find his supervisor, is he sheriff or constable or state parks?? Go above this goof-ball.

amcmac
05-17-2010, 10:44 AM
They mentioned the threat of carbon monoxide and danger of sudden stop throwing him into the prop.

Boats don't have brakes to cause a sudden stop and launch a rider into the prop. I would think the boat and rider would decelerate at about the same rate. Anyways, our lake has recently outlawed the use of ballast tanks due to the large wakes erroding the shoreline, but they can't stop me from bringing my larger friends for ballast. :D

TallRedRider
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
This is an education problem. Lake Powell had considered a ban for wakesurfing as well. I think a polite and courteous call to the folks in charge is warranted. Or an email. PM me if you need me to and I can find a copy of the email a buddy of mine sent to the Lake Powell people, and I have not heard of a problem from them since.

The main points are this:

1. No one has ever died wakesurfing from Carbon Monoxide. NO ONE. Teaksurfing, yes, sitting on the swimstep with engine running, yes. Wakesurfing, no. The CO generally sinks and being upright behind the boat has never been a problem.

2. Explain the differences between inboard and I/O boats. It is incredibly difficult to get shredded by the prop in an inboard boat. I do wish they would ban wakesurfing behind I/O's personally. I have seen people do it and think they are stupid. Your prop is under the boat and you would have to somehow get under there and bypass the rudder as well. The only way I see this happening is if the boat is in reverse and it sucks you into the prop.

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Just like what was said eariler how could surfing be as dangerous as barefoot at 45??? Its nuts. This is the kind of crap we get when we want the govt. to feed us make us well when we're sick and regulate everything we dislike.

How was that ETS, CP, I know a bit of a stretch but I wedged it in there anyway!!!! :D:D

Honkity Hank
05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
At first I thought CO poisoning would be extremely rare if it occured at all in an open nautical envionment. But apparently there are a number of cases. I found this reporthttp://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ECTB-171-05ee2.pdf

Certainly some precautions are in order to keep people away from the areas and conditions when CO concentrations are high. A good understanding of how elevated CO can occur and how to (easily) avoid these situations. I can see how low speed wake surfing could be perceived as placing someone in a potentially dangerous situation.

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 12:23 PM
At first I thought CO poisoning would be extremely rare if it occured at all in an open nautical envionment. But apparently there are a number of cases. I found this reporthttp://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ECTB-171-05ee2.pdf

Certainly some precautions are in order to keep people away from the areas and conditions when CO concentrations are high. A good understanding of how elevated CO can occur and how to (easily) avoid these situations. I can see how low speed wake surfing could be perceived as placing someone in a potentially dangerous situation.

Agreed, but whose business is it anyway. In my opinion it is not the nanny-states business.

Make CP smile......................... Vote Ron Paul!!!!

captain planet
05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
This is an education problem. Lake Powell had considered a ban for wakesurfing as well. I think a polite and courteous call to the folks in charge is warranted. Or an email. PM me if you need me to and I can find a copy of the email a buddy of mine sent to the Lake Powell people, and I have not heard of a problem from them since.

The main points are this:

1. No one has ever died wakesurfing from Carbon Monoxide. NO ONE. Teaksurfing, yes, sitting on the swimstep with engine running, yes. Wakesurfing, no. The CO generally sinks and being upright behind the boat has never been a problem.

2. Explain the differences between inboard and I/O boats. It is incredibly difficult to get shredded by the prop in an inboard boat. I do wish they would ban wakesurfing behind I/O's personally. I have seen people do it and think they are stupid. Your prop is under the boat and you would have to somehow get under there and bypass the rudder as well. The only way I see this happening is if the boat is in reverse and it sucks you into the prop.

I don't know what happened to this earlier so I'll retype it...

Incredibly difficult? How about virturally impossible! On my 190 I have to be in the water with the platform under my chin before my toes will touch my prop. On my buddies 2007 X-2 I have to be completely UNDER the platform before my feet can touch his prop. How are you supposed to get tangled up in the prop of a boat like an X-2 v-drive when it is going 9 to 11 mph? You can't....unless you fall out the front of the boat. The local authorities need to come up with a better reason than, "I deem it unsafe". On a stern drive/outboard, absolutely. On a v-drive/DD no way.

Just like what was said eariler how could surfing be as dangerous as barefoot at 45??? Its nuts. This is the kind of crap we get when we want the govt. to feed us make us well when we're sick and regulate everything we dislike.

Incredibly difficult? Try impossible. On my 190 I have to be in the water up to my neck just to reach the prop with my foot. On my buddies 07 X-2 I can't reach the prop unless I'm completely UNDER the platform. How do you get UNDER the platform if the boat is going 9 to 11 mph? The officer in this case just sound like he is using his power/authority inappropriately.

How was that ETS, CP, I know a bit of a stretch but I wedged it in there anyway!!!! :D:D

Agreed, but whose business is it anyway. In my opinion it is not the nanny-states business.

Make CP smile......................... Vote Ron Paul!!!!

You always find a way TX.

Vote Ron Paul, huh? You finally coming around?:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
You always find a way TX.

Vote Ron Paul, huh? You finally coming around?:rolleyes:

Hey CP.............................:D Hows it going

captain planet
05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey CP.............................:D Hows it going

Good. Voted on the Libertarian ballot in the primaries. :rolleyes:;)

Honkity Hank
05-17-2010, 02:11 PM
CO poisoning and barefooting are two different animals. CO poisoning is an unseen risk, CO is invisible, tasteless, and orderless, you won't know you are being poisoned until it is too late. Barefooting (and other similar activities) are much easier to assess the risk from a visual standpoint. I think the Ranger was correct to approach the boat and let them know of a danger that they may not of been aware of. Perhaps the Ranger's interpretation of the danger was wrong, and you should feel free to explain the correct interpretation.

I think expecting a Ranger to know where your prop is located is a little unrealistic. Again a quick explanation may clear the activity, or not. There is no cure for idiocy only ignorance.

That said, if I saw someone doing something dangerous, and it appeared that they did not know it was dangerous, I would feel compelled to let them know the risks, particularly if the risk was high. Once done I suppose it is up to them to make the choice. In the ranger's case, he may have handled it differently.

I learned something from it, that high CO concentrations are found in certain situations and that I need to be cognizant of that.

oldairboater
05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Talk to a lawyer. Don't care for lawyers but they have a use. Talk to a good lawyer--brains and not just name. This might be one of them is it worth it fights where you take a ticket and go to court. Your decision.

jpcarter
05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Look the guy up and buy him a coffee. He's human. He may be acting on bad information. In any case, he can tell you if there is a new law in place or it at his office's discretion. If discretion, his knowing you better might buy you some consideration. If there is a actual law in place, you might as well give it up unless you have a $1m or more to fight it. State laws aren't made without a LOT of votes by your favorite elected representatives. It it is a county/city ordinance you are still going to make a HUGE investment to change what some very opinionated and puffed up board of governors thinks is best for you.

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
CO poisoning and barefooting are two different animals. CO poisoning is an unseen risk, CO is invisible, tasteless, and orderless, you won't know you are being poisoned until it is too late. Barefooting (and other similar activities) are much easier to assess the risk from a visual standpoint. I think the Ranger was correct to approach the boat and let them know of a danger that they may not of been aware of. Perhaps the Ranger's interpretation of the danger was wrong, and you should feel free to explain the correct interpretation.

I think expecting a Ranger to know where your prop is located is a little unrealistic. Again a quick explanation may clear the activity, or not. There is no cure for idiocy only ignorance.

That said, if I saw someone doing something dangerous, and it appeared that they did not know it was dangerous, I would feel compelled to let them know the risks, particularly if the risk was high. Once done I suppose it is up to them to make the choice. In the ranger's case, he may have handled it differently.

I learned something from it, that high CO concentrations are found in certain situations and that I need to be cognizant of that.

I would expect a boat cop to know quite a bit about boats for Gods sake he is a water cop.

It is none of the officers business as long as the boat and driver are legal.

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Look the guy up and buy him a coffee. He's human. He may be acting on bad information. In any case, he can tell you if there is a new law in place or it at his office's discretion. If discretion, his knowing you better might buy you some consideration. If there is a actual law in place, you might as well give it up unless you have a $1m or more to fight it. State laws aren't made without a LOT of votes by your favorite elected representatives. It it is a county/city ordinance you are still going to make a HUGE investment to change what some very opinionated and puffed up board of governors thinks is best for you.

No law exists in TX. the guy is most likely a bass or catfish guru and hates wake-boats.

scott023
05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I would expect a boat cop to know quite a bit about boats for Gods sake he is a water cop.

That's what I was thinking... they should know a heck of a lot more about whats on the water compared to the average boater...

captain planet
05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
No law exists in TX. the guy is most likely a bass or catfish guru and hates wake-boats.

Are you sitting down?

I agree with your assumption.

....and yes, I typed that myself in a clear state of mind free of drugs and/or alcohol.

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Are you sitting down?

I agree with your assumption.

....and yes, I typed that myself in a clear state of mind free of drugs and/or alcohol.

I'm coming Elizabeth..................:D

Honkity Hank
05-17-2010, 03:19 PM

I think you may have an unrealistic expectation of their training. There are thousands of different boats made over many decades. Here in GA the Department of Natural Resources polices the water, these guys are game wardens one day and water cop the next. They are unlikely to know if your prop is 12" from the stern or on the stern.

I would think that safety is their concern, if the boat and driver are legal but engaged in an activity that is unsafe, then I think they should act. Others may disagree and say that it is not their business, but I don't. That said, was what they were doing dangerous, seems like it was not, so he probably needs to learn a bit more. I have no problem erring on the side of safety though.

scott023
05-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I think you may have an unrealistic expectation of their training. There are thousands of different boats made over many decades. Here in GA the Department of Natural Resources polices the water, these guys are game wardens one day and water cop the next. They are unlikely to know if your prop is 12" from the stern or on the stern.

I would think that safety is their concern, if the boat and driver are legal but engaged in an activity that is unsafe, then I think they should act. Others may disagree and say that it is not their business, but I don't. That said, was what they were doing dangerous, seems like it was not, so he probably needs to learn a bit more. I have no problem erring on the side of safety though.

Out of curiosity, how can they patrol and inspect vessels they have no training or knowledge of? Does that not seem like a complete waste of everyone's (boaters and officers) time?

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I simply meant a few major types of boats and water craft, not difficult at all. You know direct drive, outboard thats pretty simple stuff.

Gerald Martin
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Guys:

One of the things he mentioned was the some boats have scrubbers to remove the Carbon Monoxide. I had to please ignorance here.

Jerry

Honkity Hank
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Out of curiosity, how can they patrol and inspect vessels they have no training or knowledge of? Does that not seem like a complete waste of everyone's (boaters and officers) time?

May be different in your state, but here in Georgia they do not inspect the boat only the safety equipment (PFD's, fire extinguisher, audible device, etc.) there is no inspection of the vessel itself. May be a fine distinction, but if you cobbled together a boat from discarded water bottles and chewing gum they would not care as long you had the proper safety gear for your size boat and propulsion. I suppose in an extreme case they would act but they don't need to know anything about the boat's construction.

I am sure that there have been incidents of someone being injured by a direct drive prop nonetheless.

I agree with most everything everyone is saying though. Unless there is real concern or probable cause for stopping you on the water then they should leave you alone. If they need to have more education on the activities people now engage in, then that should happen as well. There certainly seems to be more risky activities than wake surfing.

bobx1
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM

There you have it then. They were wrong and a call to the local office that supervises that body of water should clarify and provide you with something in writing that gives you a get out of jail free note.

Talk, opinions, reasoning do not exists anymore. Either there are laws against such activity or not - P E R I O D.

Yellow X9
05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Not sure if this would work, but maybe a review of the US Coast Guard guildlines for towing people behind a boat, might shed some light to this. If it City ordinance, maybe difficult to get around.seeing how the Coast Guard governs rules / boating safety

I too was told before I ever put the boat in the water at Eagle Mtn, lake there was no Wake Surfing here. They were not Game Wardens-(*****s, BTW), not sure who these guys were, some sort of Water / River authority law enforcement.

I was given a Boat Safty check on Land at the ramp, before launching-no big deal. 10 other lakes that I can Wake Surf at.

87MCProstar
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
pretty soon they are going to put that chemical in lakes like they do with pools so we can't even pee in them anymore...I mean I don't do it now, but I know people who have...

Simply ridiculous

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
pretty soon they are going to put that chemical in lakes like they do with pools so we can't even pee in them anymore...I mean I don't do it now, but I know people who have...Simply ridiculous

LMAO.............................. :D

I tend to lean strongly libertarian like CP ;) so I don't really mind if the boater wants to dive under the boat and take power hits off the exhaust flaps....................8p

Honkity Hank
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
LMAO.............................. :D

I tend to lean strongly libertarian like CP ;) so I don't really mind if the boater wants to dive under the boat and take power hits off the exhaust flaps....................8p

I would not care either if we (net tax payer) did not have to pick up the tab ultimately, insurance companies should have a "he's an idiot defense...case dismissed"

I would like to see someone doing those power hits though, would be quite amusing. Next will be a requirement for cats on boats so that if you want to do those hits you can.

Kyle
05-17-2010, 06:43 PM
First of all the officers are State officers and are not life guards. They have more athority than a standard cop but not as much as a Game Wardon. Yes there are Game Wardon's on Eagle Mountain Lake too and work together with the lake patrol.

Surfing is not allowed because Eagle Mountain Lake is the most dangerous lake in Texas. The lake patrol will inforce the rules because they are tired of pulling bodies out of the lake that are face down. If you live on the lake then you should already know that there have been several this year already.

Eagle Mountain Lake is the most dangerous lake due to its size and the total amount of homes on it. By the time you add all of the boats that enter from all ramps every weekend and the home owners, that lake has more traffic on it for its size than any in Tx. I know Possom Kingdom is a bigger lake and has a lot of homes but you dont get the ramp traffic. Lewisville Lake has tons of people but not as many homes. On holiday weekends EML has over 1000 boats on Saturday alone with tons of people partying on them. The lake is 9000 acres. If you do the math it takes 11 acres to build a slalom lake to go ski on so traffic is high.

The lake patrol out there are not a buch of jerks who dont like to have fun. Most of them actually love the lake and would be on your boat surfing, barefooting, or drinking a beer if they could. Remember the guys in the boats pulling you over dont make the rules but inforce them. Someone down town makes the rules and the guys out patroling in the grey shirts and blue pants on a 100 degree day sweating their rears off wishing so much that they could jump in and cool off cant are just doing their job. The best advise that I can give you is not to complain and cause a scene and make your self a target out there.

Matt L.
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
This is an education problem. The CO generally sinks and being upright behind the boat has never been a problem.

Really it doesn't sink or climb since the density is virtually the same as air.

Gaseous phaseGas density (1.013 bar at boiling point) : 4.355 kg/m3
Gas density (1.013 bar and 15 C (59 F)) : 1.184 kg/m3
Compressibility Factor (Z) (1.013 bar and 15 C (59 F)) : 0.9996
Specific gravity (air = 1) (1.013 bar and 21 C (70 F)) : 0.968

Being that the exhaust is going to be warmer than the ambient air the CO will rise.

None of this matters since you would be moving while surfing. Only would be an issue if any one is on the swim platform while sitting still and running the engine.

Just my $.02

Matt

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know a thing about the lake but if what you say is true Kyle then you can't wakeboard or slalom or tube right?? Not any more dangerous to surf than tube and probably a lot safer.

I have met fine water cops and horrible ones they are no different than any profession some great some suck.

Are you a water cop is that why you know so much aboot this water? All I said is we don't have a state law in Texas prohibiting wake-surfing

Kyle
05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I have met several of the guys who patrol that lake because they patrol another lake where metroplex ski club has their site. I am a member of the ski club and the Lake Patrol has seen what short line slalom, jump, trick, sky ski, barefoot, surfing, and anyting other extreme water sport activity that has been done. They have seen it all and how we all like to take things to the extreme.

If you were to hear what goes on out there on EML with the drugs and alcohol and the amount of trashy people then you begin to understand the rules and what the patrol goes through. They also cart people off of the lake with broken bones and have to get them to an ambulance because the rider may have not been the professional he thought he was but just a good ole wally. There is a saying that it only takes one bad apple to spoil a bunch, and I am sure there is a reason why the rules are what they are.

The lake patrol will allow you to wakeboard, ski, or tube. I personally think there is no danger in the surfing but the rules are what they are. There is a rule that you cant run with your underwater lights on so I dont, not because it is a rule but because I dont want to disrespect my friends on patrol. Look I hate rules just like the rest of you guys do. Now any other lake the underwater lights will be on while driving. I have been around boat and lake life as long as I can remember. The patrol knows that I know how to operate and use a boat saftly, but the rules are set and they will not even bend for me. The party cove at EML is probably to blame for the amount of rules set. Get a bunch of rednecks from the other side of the lake (if you know the lake then you know what side I am referring to) and add the alcohol to it and nothing good hapens. So dealing with the many idiots new rules get created and it causes people that know what they are doing to not have as much fun.

Silverdawg
05-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Interesting thread. I have never been on EML, as I stick to Grapevine with its 7000 acres. G-vine has been a pretty good lake as most of the real party animals end up on Lewisiville, which is only a stones throw away.

I did not know EML had that wrap and a couple of friends of mine actually looked at buying out there. Still hard to believe the wake surf ban. Definitely worth looking into further if you are adamant about doing it there.

It would suck to have bought a house there and be restricted on what you can do. However, it sounds like there have been some real problems with "the other side of the lake":D

tex
05-18-2010, 06:48 AM
What's going to get wakesurfing is people not being responsible for their wakes and erosion, not the dangers to riders.

Gerald Martin
05-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Kyle:

I have been boating on Eagle Mountain for 33 years. I know of many of the deaths on the lake but do not think many or any have been from wake surfing. If they want to pull me over and make sure I am operating safely...fine. However, I bought a lake house there to enjoy boating and do not take kindly to being lumped in with idiots who misbehave on the water. Pull them over, arrest them...but don't make rules that preclude me from enjoying my boat in a manner that they deem unsafe on less than convincing data. Boating on Eagle Mountain has been a family activity for us for years. It really bothers me that my sixteen year old son (who has been on the lake since he was six days old) got to hear that one of the most enjoyable sports he participates in is not legal on the lake he lives on.

In addition, we have been wake surfing on this lake for three years. I think we are pretty strong practical demonstration that this is not an unsafe activity. One reason this is so important to me is that my son had a severe shoulder injury (in another sport) and can not hold on to a wake board rope now...he may never be able to. This rule has a big impact on us and the arbitrary nature of it really upsets me.

If they think this is dangerous it is not a big leap to assume they will outlaw any activity they deem so, with no input from anybody.

I know of many lakes in the metroplex with more problems than Eagle Mountain. I used to go to Grapevine but got tired of watching the death tally sign go up each year.

Jerry

CantRepeat
05-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Kyle:

I have been boating on Eagle Mountain for 33 years. I know of many of the deaths on the lake but do not think many or any have been from wake surfing. If they want to pull me over and make sure I am operating safely...fine. However, I bought a lake house there to enjoy boating and do not take kindly to being lumped in with dolts who misbehave on the water. Pull them over, arrest them...but don't make rules that preclude me from enjoying my boat in a manner that they deem unsafe on less than convincing data. Boating on Eagle Mountain has been a family activity for us for years. It really bothers me that my sixteen year old son (who has been on the lake six he was six days old) got to hear that one of the most enjoyable sports he participates in is not legal on the lake he lives on.

I know of many lakes in the metroplex with more problems than Eagle Mountain. I used to go to Grapevine but got tired of water the death tally sign go up each year.

Jerry

Jerry, I agree. It's terrible that you say you can not wake surf because the behavior of others. There has to be a person higher up in the food chain that can understand that this type of sport, while conducted in a safe manner, IE inboard motors and what not, is ok to do. :mad:

Carbon Dreams
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
The fun police out here in Oregon use certain activities as opportunities. They will follow you until you stop or the rider falls. Then they come over for a "safety" check. It is not to violate you for wakesurfing but to check all the other requirements like boater's license, the basic gear, and alcohol. They then take the time to tell you the dangers of what you are doing and to be careful. No bans yet on the lakes I use, but I fear that the liberal state I'm in, would love to ban you from having fun.

I would spend the time to talk to the department cheif in charge of the officers on your lake. Explain your situation and ask what law they are enforcing. Go into it with all your statistics and information solid. Don't make him look like a fool, but rather educate him that you are not the problem. Responsible boating and water sports need to be defended. If you do nothing, more rules and regulations will follow. I dare say that since banning, the injury and death stats on that lake have likely not changed at all.

Good luck. Cheers!

MariStar-Man
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
I would spend the time to talk to the department cheif in charge of the officers on your lake. Explain your situation and ask what law they are enforcing. Go into it with all your statistics and information solid. Don't make him look like a fool!

And then have him sign a Hall, oops i mean a Lake-Pass, so when the water cop pulls you over you can say, "SEEE..." lol

Good luck.

FancySauceRules
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
The fun police out here in Oregon use certain activities as opportunities. They will follow you until you stop or the rider falls. Then they come over for a "safety" check. It is not to violate you for wakesurfing but to check all the other requirements like boater's license, the basic gear, and alcohol. They then take the time to tell you the dangers of what you are doing and to be careful. No bans yet on the lakes I use, but I fear that the liberal state I'm in, would love to ban you from having fun.

I would spend the time to talk to the department cheif in charge of the officers on your lake. Explain your situation and ask what law they are enforcing. Go into it with all your statistics and information solid. Don't make him look like a fool, but rather educate him that you are not the problem. Responsible boating and water sports need to be defended. If you do nothing, more rules and regulations will follow. I dare say that since banning, the injury and death stats on that lake have likely not changed at all.

Good luck. Cheers!

What Lake/River has this happened to you on?

JohnE
05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Have we determined that surfing is definitey illegal on this lake? With documentation?

Jorski
05-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Get the guy to issue a ticket, then fight it. They will have a very difficult time proving that this activity is in fact dangerous.

You could provide a graeat deal of info suggesting that it isn't..starting with that study previously posted that doesn't show any deaths from wakesurfing. A catch all charge, like this one stating that they "deemed it a dangerous acivity" is probably too ambiguous to hold up in court.

Once you win, a friendly chat with the police/rangers explaining why the charge didn't stand would make them much less likely to continue with these sorts of charges.

On our lake, we had a similar issue with speed limit that exists within a certain distance from shore. The police, assumed, based upon the information from one cottager that a channel that everyone skis in was narrow enough that you would be by definition too close to shore to run at skiing speeds.

A little work correctly measuring the width of the channel and showing the local police that the channel was wide enough, and therefore the speed limit didn't apply was all it took for the police to leave us alone.

Good luck!

Carbon Dreams
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
What Lake/River has this happened to you on?

Billy Chinook and Prineville Res. Usually during busy holiday weekends.

ahhudgins
05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
The lake patrol out there are not a buch of jerks who dont like to have fun. Most of them actually love the lake and would be on your boat surfing, barefooting, or drinking a beer if they could. Remember the guys in the boats pulling you over dont make the rules but inforce them. Someone down town makes the rules and the guys out patroling in the grey shirts and blue pants on a 100 degree day sweating their rears off wishing so much that they could jump in and cool off cant are just doing their job. The best advise that I can give you is not to complain and cause a scene and make your self a target out there.

I know every state is different, but I wouldn't go down silently. I got pulled over in Va. for barefooting with a "Non CG approved flotation device". The officer made me take my barefoot suit off and he tried his best to sink it....which it wouldn't. I kept telling him that even though my suit wasn't CG approved, I can barefoot naked as long as I have an observer in the boat and a PDF for each person (In Va.) I went to court, took my suit and the state rule book and let the judge look at both. She said "Sorry for the trouble, have a nice day". I smiled and waved to the officer as I walked out. Neither the officer nor the judge new the law. Don't be a jerk, just plead your case.

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2010, 07:39 PM

I know every state is different, but I wouldn't go down silently. I got pulled over in Va. for barefooting with a "Non CG approved flotation device". The officer made me take my barefoot suit off and he tried his best to sink it....which it wouldn't. I kept telling him that even though my suit wasn't CG approved, I can barefoot naked as long as I have an observer in the boat and a PDF for each person (In Va.) I went to court, took my suit and the state rule book and let the judge look at both. She said "Sorry for the trouble, have a nice day". I smiled and waved to the officer as I walked out. Neither the officer nor the judge new the law. Don't be a jerk, just plead your case.

I agree great post and the way to handle the situation in my opinion. Just because a lake has some law breaking loosers does not mean everyone is. Great post to Carbon.

Kyle
05-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Have you ever thought that some stupid idiot may try this behind a glastron and say that they have seen it done before behind other boats. If someone gets chopped up behind an IO or an outboard it is still surfing. I agree that it is totally stupid if you do it behind either of thoes boats but if you have to set rules, then you cant regulate what boats you surf behind. There is a lot of toatal tards (since I have been warned aboud language) out there then you cant be predudice what boats can and cant surf. The easiest way is to let no one surf. Look at the pic of the wakeboard tower made out of wood and we take it as a joke. It was done and the guys in the pic with a tri hull are having a great time out of a southern enginereed set up. You know the pic I am talking about. If not I will find it tomorrow.

Kyle
05-19-2010, 05:57 AM
I found it. In this pic it is not a joke but a real event. I can so see stupid idiot #$@#%@^#@$%@#%$#$@%@ ers doing this on EML and it is because of these clowns that rules are made against us. Dont blame the patrol but the WHITE TRASH that trys to be cool.

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2010, 08:23 AM
If someone gets made into cat food surfing behind an outboard I see nothing but an affirmation of the Darwin principal.

JohnE
05-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Have you ever thought that some stupid idiot may try this behind a glastron and say that they have seen it done before behind other boats. If someone gets chopped up behind an IO or an outboard it is still surfing. I agree that it is totally stupid if you do it behind either of thoes boats but if you have to set rules, then you cant regulate what boats you surf behind. There is a lot of toatal tards (since I have been warned aboud language) out there then you cant be predudice what boats can and cant surf. The easiest way is to let no one surf. Look at the pic of the wakeboard tower made out of wood and we take it as a joke. It was done and the guys in the pic with a tri hull are having a great time out of a southern enginereed set up. You know the pic I am talking about. If not I will find it tomorrow.

It'd be easy to just ban all towing sports. Maybe we can just ban outboards and IO's and accomplish the same level of safety regarding surfing. You can't make the world idiot proof and it is ridiculous to try using legislature.

pkskier
05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I think the issue is getting lost. As has been stated before there is no Texas law making wake surfing illegal and I check the Tarrant Regional Water District website, which is the governing authority, and no place on they're website is wake surfing mentioned. This is what needs to be checked out to see if there really is a ordinance against it or they are just taking upon themselves to implement one.

etduc
05-19-2010, 10:21 AM
THIS is why, I ski in Oklahoma. They're Clueless! :rolleyes:

Carbon Dreams
05-19-2010, 11:19 AM
THIS is why, I ski in Oklahoma. They're Clueless! :rolleyes:

Keep it that way...LOL!

Gerald Martin
05-19-2010, 11:42 AM
PK Skier...I think you are on point here. I need to check the TRWD site and see who I can contact about this. As mentioned by others, I need to have a rational discussion with. I am curious about the authority the Lake Patrol has.

Jerry

Age Fighter
05-19-2010, 11:49 AM
It'd be easy to just ban all towing sports. Maybe we can just ban outboards and IO's and accomplish the same level of safety regarding surfing. You can't make the world idiot proof and it is ridiculous to try using legislature.

AMEN -- and pass the plate.

Sodar
05-19-2010, 11:49 AM
How do I get wakesurfing banned on my local waterways? I really need to investigate the channels and avenues...

Gerald Martin
05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Kyle:

I am puzzled by the point of showing that picture. It just proves that there are stupid people...everywhere. Why imply this kind of thing could go on at Eagle Mountain? It sounds like you have had a very bad experience there. I have had great fun there for years.

The picture and event have nothing to do with me being pulled over while surfing behind a boat doing something that it is safely designed to do...and using top of the line equipment.

I participate in motor sports also. I have to pass a tech inspection before I go on the track. I have to prove my car, helmet, belts etc are safe. They could check my boat for proper safety equipment and if I meet standards, let me alone.

You mention the easiest thing to do is let no-one wake surf. That is a scary precedent to set. As mentioned in a previous post...they could just stop all towing sports...but that kind of over-cautious regulation would ruin a lot of individual sports.

Jerry

Thrall
05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
This nonsense better not be going on at Powell. I just bought a surf board and intend to use it next weekend!

Sodar
05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
This nonsense better not be going on at Powell. I just bought a surf board and intend to use it next weekend!

If we all could be so lucky, this stuff would be going on EVERYWHERE!

If you want to surf, hit up the ocean. The world is covered by 75% of it.

Leave the lake for skiing and boarding. No one likes 4' rollers coming across the lake because some jag-off is doing a 9mph slow turn to port.

Thrall
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Guess I'll be one of those jag-offs now!
The Ocean is a long ways away from here!:D
I didn't get an X2 to hit up the slalom course.

Sodar
05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Guess I'll be one of those jag-offs now!
The Ocean is a long ways away from here!:D
I didn't get an X2 to hit up the slalom course.

Congrats on your demotion to Jag-off! I had high hopes for you! :D

Yes, keep the X2 out of the course. Feel free to use the X2 for wakeboarding, air chairing, wakeskating, etc. Drive nice straight lines and I ain't got no problems with you. Go out and do your 9 mph slow turns at 6am when I am trying to ski.... we got problems!

Honkity Hank
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree with Sodar, my lake has seawalls and rollers bounce off the seawall and stir the lake up. But I completely appreciate the fun in surfing, jet skiing, wakeboarding etc. There will always be competing activities that are mutually exclusive. All I hope for is for people to be cognizant of the impact they have on others. A trait that is unfortunately largely missing.

dtc
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Amen Sodar/Cameron ... Amen!!

Thrall
05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Yes, keep the X2 out of the course. Feel free to use the X2 for wakeboarding, air chairing, wakeskating, etc. Drive nice straight lines and I ain't got no problems with you. Go out and do your 9 mph slow turns at 6am when I am trying to ski.... we got problems!

Hahahaha!
No way the surf board's coming out at 6am unless someone steals my boat and board!
If I can get my hungover arse out of bed that early to hit the water, I'm skiin' or boardin'!
Save the surfin' for "drunken boat antics" when the water's already trashed!

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
If we all could be so lucky, this stuff would be going on EVERYWHERE!

If you want to surf, hit up the ocean. The world is covered by 75% of it.

Leave the lake for skiing and boarding. No one likes 4' rollers coming across the lake because some jag-off is doing a 9mph slow turn to port.

No one likes some jag-off taking valuable wakeboard and surf space up with some collored-ball game played on a ski.:D

scott023
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
No one likes some jag-off taking valuable wakeboard and surf space up with some collored-ball game played on a ski.:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I always wondered what those balls were for... I guess I'll stay out of them now.

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Did you find Ash a new Wake-surf-board yet?? :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I always wondered what those balls were for... I guess I'll stay out of them now.

I thought some rich dude was jug-fishin...... 8p

Sodar
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Buoys = boobs. Jealousy is not sexy.

Canatard.

Did you find Ash a new Wake-surf-board yet?? :confused:

I avoided it like the plague and built her a box cake with chocolate frosting. Good trade, right?

I thought some rich dude was jug-fishin...... 8p

Scott fishes now?

scott023
05-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Buoys = boobs. Jealousy is not sexy.

Canatard.

What? I was new to water sports. :D
I avoided it like the plague and built her a box cake with chocolate frosting. Good trade, right?

That's why she looking to trade you in...

Scott fishes now?

I sure don't. I have no patience for that.

JohnE
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Time and a place for everything Cam. Even Ash's jet skis. (Once the carbs are rebuilt);)

ntidsl
05-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I was somewhat afraid to chime in being a skier and a land owner on a river but those who come and put their boat in at a public ramp really need to realize that when they throw their huge waves land owners lose land and their boats hit their docks, etc...

I see alot of videos of the wakeboarders crusing up some river doing their sweet tricks or surfin behind their new 24 foot v drive with all their ballasts full 20 foot from a dock...no respect...really cool vidoes and tricks and music but i feel for those people who have to watch their boats get beat up...i could just see some 78 year old man and wife getting ready to go on their evening tooner ride when here comes the surfers or wakeboarders 30 feet from their dock...

how would you feel if that was your boat sitting there? nice gash in the side of your 24 foot vdrive...or if a few boats were tied together having lunch and someone wanted to show off their new surfing skills...ouch...

i wouldn't ban surfin...i'd ban "unreasonable" wakes...and I'm thinking that saying that its "unsafe" is just an easy way to justify the new ban...they should just be honest and say, "listen, we get complaints all day everyday from the landowners and other boaters about surfers putting out unreasonable wakes so we've banned it on this lake to keep the majority of people happy.

brucemac
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
ntidsl, i can't relate because i'm not a waterfront owner, hopefully someday.

one thing i'd say is, how does one define unreasonable? far from the crux of the problem at hand here, but i would argue that detiorating waterfront is an issue lakefront owners have used as a foundation of their argument, not just for wakesurfing, but for "ballast enhancement" in general.

for me and in my opinion it gets back to a simple little thing called respect. it just seems like there's so very little of it these days out on the water. from the anglers to the wakeboarders, to the wakeboarders to the skiiers and to the wakeboarders and the surfers.

Gerald Martin
05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Not sure how this became an anti wake surfing deal, but I an very aware of my wake when we "used to" wake surf.

I can't go to the beach to surf (as I live in North Texas) so we make do with our lake. I just hope you don't find your sport attacked for some arcane reason. It would be easy to make a case against almost every activity pursued on our lakes.

Jerry

brucemac
05-19-2010, 03:03 PM
It would be easy to make a case against almost every activity pursued on our lakes.

ain't that the truth

Sodar
05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
ain't that the truth

BM, go back to your room and listen to your music.

brucemac
05-19-2010, 03:22 PM
what's wrong the cantelope not holding you over?

scott023
05-19-2010, 03:23 PM
what's wrong the cantelope not holding you over?

No, the saltines were all he needed.

Sodar
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Got me through!

captain planet
05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Shame on you both for not respecting the root of what started this whole thing! :(

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Not sure how this became an anti wake surfing deal, but I an very aware of my wake when we "used to" wake surf.

I can't go to the beach to surf (as I live in North Texas) so we make do with our lake. I just hope you don't find your sport attacked for some arcane reason. It would be easy to make a case against almost every activity pursued on our lakes.

Jerry

Exactly, I love the way people want to ban others activities right up until it affects them. I still can't see adding to the 4 billion laws and regulations our bloated state and federal govt's pay people to administer.

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Shame on you both for not respecting the root of what started this whole thing! :(

Tongue firmly planted in cheek senior................... :D:D

We were just messin with "no step" Rados

mccobmd
05-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I wakesurf and wakeboard. Still slalom ski so I appreciate all three. This whole discussion seems to stem from a problem that permeates society. It's not enough to have a wake you can surf with a big board and just ride, has to be big enough to use a small board and fly through the air. Can't have a wake big enough to do a flip, has to be big enough to do 2 flips with several twists. In every area of society someone takes something with reasonable risk and pushes it to the extreme of very high risk. This thread has mentioned skateboarding and bicycling. When is too much too much? I think few of us can define it but all of us can tell it when we see it.

I am in the group that has been pulled over by lake patrol that has never seen surfing. When I explained it and why it was safe on my particular boat they said be careful and have a great day.

Ultimately all the positions have some merit and truth but as my dad (who was a district judge for 15 years) liked to say, "The position and strength of someones advocay or opposition depends on whose Ox is getting gored at tht time."

Gerald Martin
05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
MCCOBMD

Well put...just to add some pertinent info. I spoke to the powers that be at the water district that manages the lake. They were very open to listening to my concerns and indicated they would review the information they have regarding wake surfing and get back to me. They also said they were mainly concerned about "teak surfing" and not sure if what I described (wake surfing 20ish feet behind the boat) would be an issue.

I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the well intentioned feedback.

Jerry

imChad
05-19-2010, 07:08 PM
AMEN!
I know the surf board will be comming out next week for us as well at Powell! Along with the Skyskis Airchairs wakeboards and wake skates! We will prolly be towing a tube as well ( but that is just for the close up video shots)

Thrall- We will be pulling out of Halls Sat am. PM me if you want to meet up!

-Chad

mccobmd
05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Teak surfing is when the nose of the board is on/against the platform. If you have a very short wave it happens. I get within 2 ft of the platform at times but ride about 4-6 ft back with no rope most of the time. Good approach. Share information, then if they persist it means someone has and axe to grind.

Dad 2 3
05-19-2010, 10:37 PM
The irony of it all is-

The limnologists are writing papers that people living on lakes are disrupting the natuaral habitats of animals and plants

Kayaker's weekly forum - are complaining all those fishing boats are leaving fishing line, hooks, and lead weights which kill the fish.

Ranger or Tracker Boat's forum people are saying that any boat with an engine > 25 HP should be banned since all 'those dang' inboards make too much noise, raise the water temp, and cause wakes which disrupts their enjoyment.

The wakeboarders are complaining about the waske surfers

The wakesurfers are complaining about the drunk white trash people.

The white trash people are complaining they should have gone to college. They always dreamed of getting a degree in limnology and living on the lake. :)

Ahhhh, the circle of life.......

mccobmd
05-19-2010, 11:17 PM
The irony of it all is-

The limnologists are writing papers that people living on lakes are disrupting the natuaral habitats of animals and plants

Kayaker's weekly forum - are complaining all those fishing boats are leaving fishing line, hooks, and lead weights which kill the fish.

Ranger or Tracker Boat's forum people are saying that any boat with an engine > 25 HP should be banned since all 'those dang' inboards make too much noise, raise the water temp, and cause wakes which disrupts their enjoyment.

The wakeboarders are complaining about the waske surfers

The wakesurfers are complaining about the drunk white trash people.

The white trash people are complaining they should have gone to college. They always dreamed of getting a degree in limnology and living on the lake. :)

Ahhhh, the circle of life.......

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme Now that is well stated and funny!!!

Honkity Hank
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Need to give The Temptation's Ball of Confusion another listen.

....and the band played on

jmcentire
05-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Teak surfing is when the nose of the board is on/against the platform. If you have a very short wave it happens. I get within 2 ft of the platform at times but ride about 4-6 ft back with no rope most of the time. Good approach. Share information, then if they persist it means someone has and axe to grind.

Teak surfing is actually done without a board, the "surfer" lays down in the water holding onto the teak deck, when up to speed they can let go and try and body surf the wake. You can see why this is outlawed almost everywhere, the rider's face is level with and right behind the exhaust ports and supposedly several people have died from co poisoning while teak surfing. I have also heard of people hitting their head on the teak deck when their boat slowed quickly.

scott023
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Teak surfing is actually done without a board, the "surfer" lays down in the water holding onto the teak deck, when up to speed they can let go and try and body surf the wake. You can see why this is outlawed almost everywhere, the rider's face is level with and right behind the exhaust ports and supposedly several people have died from co poisoning while teak surfing. I have also heard of people hitting their head on the teak deck when their boat slowed quickly.

WOW. That sounds right ridiculous.

Sodar
05-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Has this wakesurfing stuff been banned yet?

TX.X-30 wanted to know.

scott023
05-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Has this wakesurfing stuff been banned yet?

TX.X-30 wanted to know.

It sure hasn't. :D

Sodar
05-20-2010, 04:00 PM
It sure hasn't. :D

Please let me know when it has... the suspense is killing him.

brucemac
05-20-2010, 04:46 PM
i sure hope not

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2645/photoqe.jpg

Honkity Hank
05-20-2010, 04:59 PM
U.N. to study worldwide Wake Surfing ban.
Put on tinfoil hat to learn more.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
U.N. to study worldwide Wake Surfing ban.
Put on tinfoil hat to learn more.

Would that be two tin foil hats at the same time then?

TallRedRider
05-20-2010, 05:05 PM

That is true.

You can go to www.skiboatdeaths.com and see the nonsense in action. Calabria was sued to the tune of 7 million dollars since a 12 year old boy teaksurfing died of carbon monoxide poisoning. They neglected to state that the fact he was under 30 feet of water for 30 minutes without his life jacket on hampered rescue efforts.

In fact, most of the deaths happened in people who had this same problem. Not wearing a life jacket just seals the deal.

Honkity Hank
05-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Please consult your owners manual.

Sodar
05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Please consult your owners manual.

Is wakesurfing banned there, too? :confused:

scott023
05-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Is wakesurfing banned there, too? :confused:

I just read mine... no mention of the sport.

TX.X-30 fan
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I just read mine... no mention of the sport.

Have you ever ridden a Red Woody??

TX.X-30 fan
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Does Skidim sell wakesurf boards??

Honkity Hank
05-20-2010, 05:52 PM
The owners manual for my tinfoil hat is missing, looking for login password now

TX.X-30 fan
05-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I topped off my oil with a 1/4 of a quart of straight 40 weight will that void my warranty?

Honkity Hank
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Does tinfoil work as a PFD? Someone please do some teak surfing with tinfoil on and report back, or if no report we will know.

Honkity Hank
05-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I topped off my oil with a 1/4 of a quart of straight 40 weight will that void my warranty?

Your oil warranty is now reduced by 10%.

TX.X-30 fan
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Your oil warranty is now reduced by 10%.

So I don't need to replace the impeller?? Cool thanks.

scott023
05-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Have you ever ridden a Red Woody??

I sure hope you're refering to a surfboard...

ShamrockIV
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
IF you are behind a i/o u might hit the prop but hard to do behind an MC with swim platform. As an avid surfer i say BS!! No way with all the force the prop is puttung out u could get into it. GOOD LUCK!!! SURF ON DUDE!!!!!

Gerald Martin
05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
OK gang...I have to tell you the results of following some of your advice. I called the regional water district a couple of weeks ago after being pulled over and told wake surfing on my home lake was banned. I spoke to a very reasonable who listened to my concerns about an outright ban. He said he would review the situation with his supervisor and get back to me.

Well...he did just that. He called me this morning and said after reviewing the information he could find about wake surfing, and speaking with his supervisor they have decided not to ban wake surfing from the lake. They don't recommend it, but they are not going to ban it. The local lake patrol will retain the right to ticket anyone acting in a reckless manner, acording to state law, but that would be on a case by case call...if you are found teak surfing or wake surfing too close to the boat you may still have a problem.

I am very pleased. I realize this is still open to interpretation by the lake patrol, but I am confident if they see someone has the right equipment and attitude it will be ok. At the very least they Regional Water District showed the have an open mind and will listen to differing points of view.

I am off to the lake in about 1 hour and wake surfing is on the agenda.

Yea!

scott023
05-28-2010, 05:35 PM
OK gang...I have to tell you the results of following some of your advice. I called the regional water district a couple of weeks ago after being pulled over and told wake surfing on my home lake was banned. I spoke to a very reasonable who listened to my concerns about an outright ban. He said he would review the situation with his supervisor and get back to me.

Well...he did just that. He called me this morning and said after reviewing the information he could find about wake surfing, and speaking with his supervisor they have decided not to ban wake surfing from the lake. They don't recommend it, but they are not going to ban it. The local lake patrol will retain the right to ticket anyone acting in a reckless manner, acording to state law, but that would be on a case by case call...if you are found teak surfing or wake surfing too close to the boat you may still have a problem.

I am very pleased. I realize this is still open to interpretation by the lake patrol, but I am confident if they see someone has the right equipment and attitude it will be ok. At the very least they Regional Water District showed the have an open mind and will listen to differing points of view.

I am off to the lake in about 1 hour and wake surfing is on the agenda.

Yea!

Nice work.

ShamrockIV
05-28-2010, 05:41 PM
As I previously said SURF ON BRO!!!!!!

I can understand a ticket if some DA is surfing behind an i/o or outboard. or eveb if some dude washes the fisherman up in the trees with his MC. But the reasonable surfer that is responsible with his boat should be left alone. I think that is another issue alot of people don't think of. your wake is alot like a bullet from your gun, you arer responsible for it along way from the point of origin.

and for the record i plan on rolling some BIG A$$ Wakes when i get home!!!

Jerseydave
05-28-2010, 09:05 PM
NJ law here says nothing about wake surfing, but it does state that your tow rope cannot be shorter than 35 ft or longer than 75 ft. It does not state where it has to be attached to the boat.

SO,

I have a leader rope on my wakesurf rope attached to my bow eye, and from there it goes up and over my tower and back to the rider. Legal sir!

ShamrockIV
05-28-2010, 09:47 PM
NJ law here says nothing about wake surfing, but it does state that your tow rope cannot be shorter than 35 ft or longer than 75 ft. It does not state where it has to be attached to the boat.

SO,

I have a leader rope on my wakesurf rope attached to my bow eye, and from there it goes up and over my tower and back to the rider. Legal sir!

sounds legit to me!!!!! I live in the "gray area"

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Great news.

prostar250Vmkat
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
so i was stopped by a wild life and fisheries officer. i love in louisiana. and so i went to the top and got the ok and paper work to do it now recently i got stopped and he was pissed at the paper work going to the top is the key and what rope length is illegal? and dangerous, i broke a rib going inverted on wakeboard and no injuries on wakesurfing, and barefoot at 45 is way more dangerous, if you use the right boats and the right equipment this i think it should be illegal but i can understand if you do not have an inboard engine that the prop is under the boat, but this is bull **** and the govt need to get out and stop baja race boats that are flying down the lake at 70+ mph which is way more dangerous than me going 9 mph.

madmuffin
09-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Seems like there is a lot of mis-information out there. My parents were up this weekend and were concerned about our wakesurfing. They don't allow it where they're from as it is "deadly" according to the local Sheriff's department. Of course it a more rural area with less boaters and probably not a whole lot surfers anyway. Still, it's irritating to hear that they are ready to step down hard with fines and are on t.v. warning boaters yet have not a clue about what is safe and what isn't. So true as you say... I'm much safer wakesurfing than other things considered legal and safe behind the boat.

TX.X-30 fan
09-16-2010, 10:13 PM
so i was stopped by a wild life and fisheries officer. i love in louisiana. and so i went to the top and got the ok and paper work to do it now recently i got stopped and he was pissed at the paper work going to the top is the key and what rope length is illegal? and dangerous, i broke a rib going inverted on wakeboard and no injuries on wakesurfing, and barefoot at 45 is way more dangerous, if you use the right boats and the right equipment this i think it should be illegal but i can understand if you do not have an inboard engine that the prop is under the boat, but this is bull **** and the govt need to get out and stop baja race boats that are flying down the lake at 70+ mph which is way more dangerous than me going 9 mph.

Well stated......................

kevkan
09-16-2010, 10:16 PM
First they came for the wakesurfers, but I am a slalom skier, so I did not speak up. Next they came for the wakeboarders, but I did not speak up. Then they came for the trick skiers, but I do not trick ski,so I didn't speak up. Then they came for the slalom skiers, and there was no one left to speak up.

TX.X-30 fan
09-16-2010, 10:19 PM
First they came for the wakesurfers, but I am a slalom skier, so I did not speak up. Next they came for the wakeboarders, but I did not speak up. Then they came for the trick skiers, but I do not trick ski,so I didn't speak up. Then they came for the slalom skiers, and there was no one left to speak up.

All joking aside that is the gospel truth right there.............

TOO-TALL
09-16-2010, 11:15 PM
SO,

Now thats thinking right there.....too funny

Jeff d
09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
... and the govt need to get out and stop baja race boats that are flying down the lake at 70+ mph...

Is this common everywhere? I'm in Louisiana too and these are the most annoying people on the water. Worse than tubers. The guys driving typically look like they should be on the cast of Jersey Shore (Fake tans, spiked hair and big chains) and after they do a few 70 MPH passes they come idle through the swim areas with their deafening exhaust just to see and be seen and then they take off for some more high speed runs.

Seems like it would get old for them too but apparently not. Take that crap offshore where it belongs! Or, put on a muffler and act civilized.

lanep82
08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I had 2 run-ins in 2 days on Eagle Mtn this past week/weekend. I would love to give the name out on this forum of this lovely individual but won't.....yet. Both times I was minding my own business.

It is starting to feel like harassment, to be honest and I will be speaking to an attorney at some point this week. I would like to give more details as to what happened but feel like I shouldn't until after this 'thing' has blown over.

1 question I need answered by someone here. Is it against the law to wake surf behind a boat w/out a PFD? It seems like everyone does it and I got ticketed for it. Everywhere online that I could find said that it is NOT against TX State law to do anything behind a boat (ski, wakeboard, etc) w/out wearing a PFD. The uneducated lake cop told me that it was a city (or maybe county) ordinance. I am curious if they can give you a ticket for such a thing...........

When a cop on another MC gets frustrated for you 'messing up' their wakeboarding water (even when you were there first), calls his buddy to pull you over 1 day....and then HE pulls you over 2 days later.....I am thinking this might be a good time to get some representation.

agarabaghi
08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Its against the law here in FL to be behind the boat with out a coast guard approved life jacket. We always get ticketed for wearing non coast guard approved ones.

mtajpa
08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
National Park Service rule for Lake Mead states.

"Water skiers shall wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejacket."

Says nothing about Wakesurfing, Wakeboarding, but I don't plan on testing the rule. We will all have to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejacket starting in 2012 at Lake Mead if you are in a moving vessel. Supposed to be a test lake for the U.S. Coast Guard new rules to come.

JLowder
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
We will all have to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejacket starting in 2012 at Lake Mead if you are in a moving vessel. Supposed to be a test lake for the U.S. Coast Guard new rules to come.

And people say California is bad. Besides, I don't see how wearing a life jacket prevents your boat driver from running over you when you fall off the tube. Would life jackets prevented the moron from putting 12 people in the bow of his x-45? How about we start inforcing the laws we already have, like ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, or ABUSE OF WELLFARE. Life jackets are a joke compared to the problems those other issue create. Good thing we have a government to tell us whats best huh?

medicmoose
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
And people say California is bad. Besides, I don't see how wearing a life jacket prevents your boat driver from running over you when you fall off the tube. Would life jackets prevented the moron from putting 12 people in the bow of his x-45? How about we start inforcing the laws we already have, like ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, or ABUSE OF WELLFARE. Life jackets are a joke compared to the problems those other issue create. Good thing we have a government to tell us whats best huh?

Wow...this thread just took a completely different turn from what I would have expected! 8p

RMUDBUGS
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
We are all 9 years old and daddy (the government) is here to tell us what is best...Gezzz

gr82bgreen
08-22-2011, 11:43 PM

Life jackets for all in the boat may be overboard. But I could see the authorities point in making those behind the boat wear one. If someone falls and gets knocked out and drowns, how much does it cost local authorities to rescue or recover this person. Life jackets save lives. No one gets behind my boat without one. No one was ever going to make some wear seat belts in car either.

gocougs
08-23-2011, 12:33 AM
So now, I just say in Oregon, the Coast Guard has determined that once you stand up on a paddle board, you are considered "a boat", therefore you need to be wearing a approved life jacket and have a sound device.

volunteerwatersports
08-23-2011, 12:34 AM
I was somewhat afraid to chime in being a skier and a land owner on a river but those who come and put their boat in at a public ramp really need to realize that when they throw their huge waves land owners lose land and their boats hit their docks, etc...

I see alot of videos of the wakeboarders crusing up some river doing their sweet tricks or surfin behind their new 24 foot v drive with all their ballasts full 20 foot from a dock...no respect...really cool vidoes and tricks and music but i feel for those people who have to watch their boats get beat up...i could just see some 78 year old man and wife getting ready to go on their evening tooner ride when here comes the surfers or wakeboarders 30 feet from their dock...

how would you feel if that was your boat sitting there? nice gash in the side of your 24 foot vdrive...or if a few boats were tied together having lunch and someone wanted to show off their new surfing skills...ouch...

i wouldn't ban surfin...i'd ban "unreasonable" wakes...and I'm thinking that saying that its "unsafe" is just an easy way to justify the new ban...they should just be honest and say, "listen, we get complaints all day everyday from the landowners and other boaters about surfers putting out unreasonable wakes so we've banned it on this lake to keep the majority of people happy.

So what happens when those dang unreasonable storms come up and start banging there boats around or washing away their land. Just because you buy a lake house with a dock does not mean you have more rights to the water then someone else. If you can afford all that you can afford a lift, where your beautiful boat gets lifted out of the water and is safe. I wakeboard, Slalom ski, surf, skate, air chair, and even tube every once in a while. Govt banning things is never the answer, and just because you don't do it does not mean it should be banned. Liberty or Death.

JLowder
08-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Wow...this thread just took a completely different turn from what I would have expected! 8p

LOL! I am just saying. Kinda did thread jack it huh. My apologies.

JLowder
08-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Life jackets for all in the boat may be overboard. But I could see the authorities point in making those behind the boat wear one. If someone falls and gets knocked out and drowns, how much does it cost local authorities to rescue or recover this person. Life jackets save lives. No one gets behind my boat without one. No one was ever going to make some wear seat belts in car either.

Anyone behind my boat will wear a jacket as well, but thinks its silly to expect all in the boat to wear them all the time.

shepherd
08-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Safety is so over-rated. Little by little, the government in this supposedly free country takes away our freedoms to protect us from ourselves.

Honkity Hank
08-23-2011, 09:04 AM
So what happens when those dang unreasonable storms come up and start banging there boats around or washing away their land.

What makes you think these two events are related. Naturally occurring storms are not the same thing as someone purposely creating large waves. One is an act of God, the other is an act of man. One cannot be altered the other can. Your argument is a red herring, the two events are unrelated.

Just because you buy a lake house with a dock does not mean you have more rights to the water then someone else.

I don't think anyone is saying that. You, are responsible for the damage your boat (including the wake) causes though.

If you can afford all that you can afford a lift, where your beautiful boat gets lifted out of the water and is safe.

Really, you can make that call? You feel you have the authority to force to someone to buy something that they don't want? Or maybe can't afford, or maybe can't even have? Who do you think you are? The Federal Government. How about this, if you can afford a wake boat you can afford to pay for someone's boat lift.

I wakeboard, Slalom ski, surf, skate, air chair, and even tube every once in a while. Govt banning things is never the answer, and just because you don't do it does not mean it should be banned.

The question is not if you do it or not, the question is will you do it where it does not adversely impact others. You want to do what ever you want and the hell with the consequences, sorry but that is not how it works. Your right to huge wake does not give you the right to damage someone's property. Even if it did, why would you choose to behave that way, why not find a place to do your sport that does not cause damage to others property.

aaron.
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't think anyone is saying that. You, are responsible for the damage your boat (including the wake) causes....why not find a place to do your sport that does not cause damage to others property.

very true.

do some research before you buy an expensive lake property. I wouldn't spend a dime unless i knew the majority of people had ski boats. Fishermen, boat cops, and retirement folk have a special knack for ruining all my fun.

Sullivan
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Maybe the wakeboarders and surfers are going to have to step up and start building their own private lakes. Thats what the wakeboard industry did for slalom skiers and in some sense its been the best thing thats happend for skiing. It made it more expensive but there are alot better skiers now than there was 15 years ago.

The wakeboard and surfers have totally ruined the idea of taking my family out on public water. I can't stand to be in my 197 and have a boat full of people going 9 miles an hour surfing drive right by us while we are trying to have lunch and almost capsize my boat. It sucks.

volunteerwatersports
08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Honkity Hank;783211]What makes you think these two events are related. Naturally occurring storms are not the same thing as someone purposely creating large waves. One is an act of God, the other is an act of man. One cannot be altered the other can. Your argument is a red herring, the two events are unrelated.

I tell you what, just like most environmentalist like to tell everyone else about the problems they cause by the cars they drive or planes they travel in,(see al gore and his private jet). You sell your boat today, stay off the lakes, because your boat causes a wake, I promise and is causing some erosion, and you are messing up someones water. So sell that boat get off the water then you are becoming part of your own solution, instead of just complaining about others.

CantRepeat
08-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe the wakeboarders and surfers are going to have to step up and start building their own private lakes. Thats what the wakeboard industry did for slalom skiers and in some sense its been the best thing thats happend for skiing. It made it more expensive but there are alot better skiers now than there was 15 years ago.

The wakeboard and surfers have totally ruined the idea of taking my family out on public water. I can't stand to be in my 197 and have a boat full of people going 9 miles an hour surfing drive right by us while we are trying to have lunch and almost capsize my boat. It sucks.

I think it comes down to being curtious to your fellow boaters.

I don't surf near peoples docks and I keep my surf side wake facing into the main channel so it has to travel across the entire channel or lake to get to someones dock.

Now, someone needs to start a "banned boat foods" thread. :D;)

02ProstarSammyD
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Safety is so over-rated. Little by little, the government in this supposedly free country takes away our freedoms to protect us from ourselves.

Alot of world issues could be fixed with the removal of safety warnings.

*the unintelligent would die off.
*Since they are gone they couldn't breed
*Prices would drop b/c no one would be getting sued for bs
*Global warming would slow due to the population dying off
*And Obama would not get reelected

I call all these victories that could all be done with the help of more Darwin

volunteerwatersports
08-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Here is the problem, back in the 40's and 50's when skiing first started getting popular, fishermen were saying the same thing about you. "I can't stand to be in my fishing boat and have a boat full of people going 25 miles an hour skiing drive right by us while we are trying to have lunch and almost capsize my boat. It sucks." I know skiers think that all these beautiful lakes were built just for them, they were not, just like fishermen do, just like boarders, etc.... We all have to be tolerant of each other get along and have fun are own ways.

ddanenberger
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM

I don't surf near peoples docks and I keep my surf side wake facing into the main channel so it has to travel across the entire channel or lake to get to someones dock.

Now, someone needs to start a "banned boat foods" thread. :D;)

A comment that helps...I met with our lake's management at a party, and the biggest complaint is surfers not following the buffer zone and erosion. If we all took time to recognize and be responsible for our wake especailly when surfing, these issue become mute.

shepherd
08-23-2011, 10:44 AM
You, are responsible for the damage your boat (including the wake) causes though.

I know it's been the settled law in this land for close to 100 years now, but I always thought this rule was BS. A boat owner should take at least some responsibility for making sure his boat is tied up properly to avoid being damaged by waves. No wake zones are the bane of all pleasure boaters (not counting those hippie sailors and kayakers ;) ).

Honkity Hank
08-23-2011, 10:44 AM

)

Exactly, courteous behavior is what seems to be lacking. No one is saying sell your boat and go home, what I am saying is you can have fun without screwing things up for everyone else, leave the attitude at home and come out and have a good time on the water. This idea that that everyone needs to get out of my way because I have just as much right to be here as you do is not going to prove to be a successful way of advancing your sport. You want to wake surf, okay I don't care, but tell me why you think you should be able to do it without consequence? Why is your activity more important? If you can wake surf and minimize your disturbance of others why do you not choose to do that.

Just be aware of how your actions affect others, if after that introspection you still want to give them the middle finger salute, have at it.

wrobins1
08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I always wondered if it is not the “nanny state” culture that we have and are developing right now that makes people think that these entitlement attitudes are acceptable.

gocougs
08-23-2011, 01:29 PM
I think it's the tubing that is for some reason being ignored. It the lake is rough in the afternoon, it's not the 1 or 2 boats on our lake that can and will surf or wakeboard, it's too rough for that. It's the tubing that really makes the rough waters. Any boat or jet ski can pull a tube and the power turns that make this fun make the lake a mess. It's all a part of the experience and timing of when you want to go out and what you want to do. Like any outdoor recreation, it's all about timing.

jeffbare
08-23-2011, 02:43 PM
We got a little bit of a reprieve from our nanny state in South Puget Sound this year, for some reason we haven't seen the Sheriff much.

Sullivan
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Here is the problem, back in the 40's and 50's when skiing first started getting popular, fishermen were saying the same thing about you. "I can't stand to be in my fishing boat and have a boat full of people going 25 miles an hour skiing drive right by us while we are trying to have lunch and almost capsize my boat. It sucks." I know skiers think that all these beautiful lakes were built just for them, they were not, just like fishermen do, just like boarders, etc.... We all have to be tolerant of each other get along and have fun are own ways.

40's and 50's!!! Realy, are you kidding me. I was born in the 70's and you want to go back to the 40's and 50's. Give me a break. A freaking 5 foot wake is not the same as a slalom boat from the 80's to present day boats.

I think the key her has been posted and its all about respect and being aware of the wake you are sending and where you are sending it. Like it was said before be curtious to those around you. Me personally, I love taking friends and family out on open water get aways but I will never rely on it to get my skiing fix. That I will always reserve for MINT Lake.

volunteerwatersports
08-29-2011, 06:38 PM
40's and 50's!!! Realy, are you kidding me. I was born in the 70's and you want to go back to the 40's and 50's. Give me a break. A freaking 5 foot wake is not the same as a slalom boat from the 80's to present day boats.

I think the key her has been posted and its all about respect and being aware of the wake you are sending and where you are sending it. Like it was said before be curtious to those around you. Me personally, I love taking friends and family out on open water get aways but I will never rely on it to get my skiing fix. That I will always reserve for MINT Lake.

You missed my point, the 40's and 50's is when skiing started to get popular, just like the mid 2000 till now is when surfing got popular. Just because you were born in the 70's it has no bearing. You look at this situation only from your point of view. Skiing is established now, but lets be real, it is a dying sport. Surfing is the WAVE of the future, no pun intended, OK a little intended, along with wakeboarding. Slalom will always be around, but it is like baseball, every year it gets less and less popular.

GoneBoatN
08-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Hear, hear. We need more Darwin!

DemolitionMan
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>X2

Yellow X9
08-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Good luck. Cheers!

This is not directed at your post- just to clear the air

The Game Wardens here in Texas, tend to do the same thing, with the boat safety check, as probable cause to come up on you, to see what other things they can find. Guess hunting season doesn't last long enough, so they have to earn a pay check - jacking with boaters. I have been pulled over on Lewisville twice in the same day, for the so called Safety check...Bulls*#t. And the after the interigation of safety equip- which I have and then some, they go after- Have you been drinking- These guys SUCK. hope theres a Game Warden in Texas on this site- I'm on the lake every weekend - North Texas and NOT a HARD PERSON OR BOAT TO FIND. Yes- I DON"T LIKE THESE CLOWNS- May 2011 thru last weekend, been stopped by the 14 times- BOAT SAFETY CHECK- yeah, right. I ran over a rabbit - Jail me ,
and before you answer the replies to my Game Warden Rant- ask your self this question 1st, before replying- How many times have you been stopped in your car- to which MORE people die in than Boats, for a CAR SAFTETY Check. and YES, belive it or not, people drink in there vehicles too.

The US Coast Guard sets the boating rules / Guildlines- if i'm thinking correctly or correct me if i'm wrong- review there rules for riding directly behind the boat or in close proximity to it. Other than that, cities may have there own ordinances against it.

Carry on

Gofast
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Umm.... Dude. I've seen the pictures, it's the girls on your boat. Just sayin......

starman205
08-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Umm.... Dude. I've seen the pictures, it's the girls on your boat. Just sayin......

What Gofast said!!! :D

Thrall
08-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Hahaha, GoFast is right!
I hear you yellow X9. Couple lakes in CO were the same way. Get pulled over 1, 2, even 3x once in the same day for "safety checks." This was with my family and maybe a couple friends, most of the time in our old 190, not the X2, so it's not like we were the "party boat" by any means.
It's complete cr@p, but I rememeber thinking the same thing when I was a kid and would seemingly get pulled over for "no reason". Couldn't have been that I was 17 yrs old with a loud, fast car, right? Cops know who to target to get their $$.
That's why you don't see them pull over the $1500 Gayliner doing S curves all over the lake with a tractor tube tied to the back of it with some bailing twine and 12 people in the bow. They know their not going to collect from that guy. If he can't afford a decent boat, he'll probably blow off paying the fines too. Especially if they look like they're from "south of the border."

tommcat
08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
a friend of mine that spends time on the hudson river said they were having the same problem with safety checks, getting stopped and boarded 2-3 times a day. they recently passed some legislation that has the coast guard/EPO's giving out a sticker after your first safety check. from then on the police can just look for your sticker and not pull the same boat over for the same check repeatedly. then they can actually focus on the people doing something wrong instead of random harrassment. it's not a perfect solution but it's something

davidstan
08-30-2011, 03:52 PM

X2.........

aaron.
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
and without those idiots and without obamba, we could rid our country of generational welfare recipients.....sh1t, we could get rid of welfare altogether.

Yellow X9
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Hahaha, GoFast is right!
I hear you yellow X9. Couple lakes in CO were the same way. Get pulled over 1, 2, even 3x once in the same day for "safety checks." This was with my family and maybe a couple friends, most of the time in our old 190, not the X2, so it's not like we were the "party boat" by any means.
It's complete cr@p, but I rememeber thinking the same thing when I was a kid and would seemingly get pulled over for "no reason". Couldn't have been that I was 17 yrs old with a loud, fast car, right? Cops know who to target to get their $$.
That's why you don't see them pull over the $1500 Gayliner doing S curves all over the lake with a tractor tube tied to the back of it with some bailing twine and 12 people in the bow. They know their not going to collect from that guy. If he can't afford a decent boat, he'll probably blow off paying the fines too. Especially if they look like they're from "south of the border."

If I was a kid, I would agree with ya. Guess id agree with you on the type of boat