PDA

View Full Version : Carb, TBI, powerslot fuel mileage questions

Bookshelf
05-17-2010, 04:22 AM
I know some of you have had a few boats, how much better on fuel are the 94+ TBI 350's over the earlier 351's, and is there a difference in fuel consumption between the 240 and 285 hp 351's? How does a powerslot affect fuel consumption and rpm at 36 mph? Thanks

Kyle
05-17-2010, 04:39 AM
I know some of you have had a few boats, how much better on fuel are the 94+ TBI 350's over the earlier 351's, and is there a difference between the 240 and 285 hp 351's? How does a powerslot affect fuel consumption and rpm at 36 mph? Thanks

There is a big difference between 240hp vs 285hp. I have added some goodies to my 285 and love it. Have driven several 240hp and they feel like the boat has a few extra people in it as far as hole shot and top end (wake is the same). I have the power slot and have it because it is a better pulling transmisson than the standard 1:1. The slot will hold slalom times better and the Perfect Pass will not have to work as hard to keep good times or steady speed.

Fuel consumption is tough because of different driving habits, what prop you use, how many rpms you turn, etc. I also drive my boat and if it is smooth then the hammer is dropped and we are running 45 on gps or so across the lake. I am not sure if I would save any on fuel with a TBI boat or not. I like speed and speed drinks gas either injected or not.

I threw fuel consumption out the window on my boat because I wanted max top end and good hole shot. I added a slightly bigger cam, and changed my heads. I am probably running 320 or so hp and fuel doesnt matter as I am interested in performance.