PDA

View Full Version : Teak platform mounting bracket screws...

92 190 PS
05-16-2010, 10:26 PM
One of the screws on my mounting bracket on my 92 Prostar is stripped out. Suggestions on quick and lasting fix?

Kyle
05-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Is it the bracket that screws into the boat or to the bottom of the platform. If it is the platform piece, I would take the platform off with your quick disconnects. Place the platform on a towel face down and put some cut weedeater string cut to fit the hole. It is plastic and wont fall apart. About 4 pieces or so and run the screw back in and it sould be tight. The other alternative is to remove all of the screws form the platform and move your bracket back an inch or so. Then the platform will stick out another inch and have a big gap behind your boat. I would try the easier fix since it is just one screw that is bad and wont even hurt if it is not there. No one in their right mind is going to look under their and see if it is missing if it was left out and I do believe that there are 8 screws or so holding the platformm to the brackets per side. I would not glue it in.

TMCNo1
05-17-2010, 06:48 AM
One of the screws on my mounting bracket on my 92 Prostar is stripped out. Suggestions on quick and lasting fix?

Longer, bigger screw or epoxy the existing hole and start over.

Thrall
05-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Both good ideas. Some copper wire will do the same as weedeater string. Or Gorilla Glue. I did a "temporary" repair on my 190 platform. Got ripped off the brackets by a rogue wave at the gas dock while on vacation. I removed all teh screws, filled the holes with Gorilla glue, ran the screws back in lightly and weighted down the brackets to hold them in place. Next morning, snugged up the screws. That temp fix lasted at least 3 years. Boat is sold now and the platform was still stuck to the brackets when I sold it.
If it's the mounts to the boat, fill the holes with some resin or marine epoxy and re-drill.

92 190 PS
05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys. It is the brackets on the platform not the boat. Tried the toothpick trick without success last night. Going to try to find the next size up screw today at lunch and will probably combine with epoxy/Gorilla glue.

Thrall
05-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Remember Gorilla glue is expansive, so you'll need to keep the 2 pieces clamped together to "restrain" the glue. Another + to GG is it works on damp/wet surfaces, actually reccomends wetting wood surface for best adhesion.