PDA

View Full Version : Teak Wood

awrobertso
05-16-2010, 04:57 PM
What is the best way to clean and treat the wood?

Kyle
05-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I use Tommy Nations way to clean and oil teak. He make all of the platforms from teakworld enterprises and has good service.

I sand with the grain with about 80 grit sand paper until it is bare teak. I then use compressed air to dust it off quick but a broom will work fine. I come back and wipe paint thinner over the whole deck with a shop towel and let dry for 5 min or so. He then instructed me to use 80% linseed and 20% mineral spirits. Mix a small amount of the oil and spirits and stir. Use a brush or lint free rag to wipe on. Repeat if needed.

I normally use a couple of coats and let it dry completly inbetween coats. You can get the thinner, linseed oil, and spirits at Home Depot. Tommy's way has saved me tons in teak oil price. A pint or so of Teak Oil is like 30 bucks. The gallon of linseed oil, pint of spirits and pint of thinner cost about 40. I have gotten 1 year out of Tommy's way and so far I have saved 80 bucks and I still have half of a gallon left. My guess you will save 150 over time to do it Tommy's way. I also like the color of the linseed oil way, better than the teak oil way. Tommy also let me know that MC gets their teak from him and he puts the linseed oil on the teak and ships it to them. He does not use teak oil.

Now there are some guys out here that Bleed the Teak Oil way and will post. This is my way and I like the outcome. The teak deck I have is used for skis, wakeboards, partying on ect. I use mine. Tommy's way will not make your platform too slick and make it hard to step on and slip.

TMC#1 has a way that will make your platform look like a fine piece of furniture but it is not for me.

Read what some other guys do and go with what you feel is best suited for your needs. Remember if you dont like the outcome you can change methods with a little of sanding and try something different.

Kyle
05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Here is TMC#1's way and some on here use this way. I am sure it is a fine way and his deck probably looks awesome. It is way too much sanding for me as my ADHD would not allow. I have heard that he does not use his platform as a surface to put on skis or wakeboard. Thoes items go on in the water if you ride with him.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=150097&postcount=28

JohnE
05-17-2010, 09:55 AM
I ski'd behind TMC#1's boat a few years ago. I wasn't forbidden to use the platform.

airwear
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
I have found the following solution really cleans the teak nicely, especially the black parts:

4 parts hot water
2 parts TSP (I use the liquid concentrate kind)
1 part bleach

I soak it with this solution for 10 minutes, then scrub it with a brush, then soak again, etc. etc until the black is washed away. It usually goes pretty quickly. Then I make sure to hose the teak down with fresh water, dry well, and then do the sanding and teak oil thing. Works well for me, and I do this once a year.

awrobertso
05-17-2010, 11:02 PM
What do you mean by 4 parts hot water? Can you give me a measurement for the hot water and bleach?? What kind of liquid concentrate are you talking about?? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

airwear
05-18-2010, 11:04 AM
The "parts" are just ratios depending on how much stuff you want to make. I find 4 cups hot water mixed with 2 cups TSP and 1 cup bleach gives me the right amount. Usually I don't have an exact measuring cup so I find some old plastic container about the size of a cup and fill it up 4 times with hot water, 2 times with TSP and 1 time with bleach, pouring all of this into a pail.

I have seen TSP sold in crystals and liquid. I went with the liquid kind, I think it is a concentrated liquid.

Hope this helps.