PDA

View Full Version : Question about throttle cable stiffness...

trapjaw
05-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey guys, i was out at the lake yesterday having a great day of wakeskating, when suddenly the throttle lever became hard to move. It felt like the cable was stuck or something.
It was happening when i would move the lever from neutral into forward idle, and back again. Adjusting it for throttle while we were riding was fine, it would slide smoothly, but when i would pop it into neutral, then try and move it into forward idle, it would seem 'stuck'.
It got to where i had to really put force on the throttle lever to get it to pop into forward idle form the neutral position.
Before i start tearing stuff apart on my boat i figured i'd check with yall to see if there's an easy thing to check first.
BTW, it's a 1975 S&S with a 351 Windsor.
Thanks.

trapjaw
05-16-2010, 10:08 PM
*pokes head in, hears crickets, bumps to the top.

bturner2
05-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Based on the year of your boat and that it seems to have just gotten worse all of a sudden I would be looking for something loose in the linkage. One way to go about the problem is to isolate the two cables by disconnecting one and seeing if the problem/symptom goes away. Sounds by your description that the actual problem may lie in the shift cable or linkage. At least that's how I would start.....