PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the antifreeze in your block?

Finnsdad
05-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I winterized my boat using rv antifreeze. Should I drain this out of the block into the bilge and then collect it for disposal? Or do you run it on a hose in the driveway? Just run it in the lake?

Kyle
05-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Tx MC uses the biodegradable kind that is fine if it enters the lake. I asked them about what they used and they said all you have to do is use your boat and it is summerized. If you had your dealer do the service on the winterize then I would drop her into the lake. If you are worried about it then run it on the hose in the street and wash away the street after you get done. If in fact it is not the bio kind any dog that licks the antifreeze could die. If it gets on your grass it will kill it too. I would drop it into the lake.

tex
05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I winterized my boat using rv antifreeze. Should I drain this out of the block into the bilge and then collect it for disposal? Or do you run it on a hose in the driveway? Just run it in the lake?

Feed it to the neighbor's barking dog!

X-Aggie
05-16-2010, 05:22 PM
..... Leave it there.....

Dad 2 3
05-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Finnsdad,
RV antifreeze is pink, non RV will be green. It's a much tougher deal delineating regular antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol) from the Bio antifreeze (Polyethylene or Propylene Glycol).

2 oz of ethylene glycol is lethal to a dog and only 1 teaspoon is lethal to a cat. Ethylene Glycol has also been linked to the death of birds, including rare birds such as condors and eagles. I'm no environmentalist, but we should do what we can to maintain our lakes and rivers so we can all enjoy them for years to come.

I would personally try to recover what you can and dilute the rest with either hose water or lake water as best as possible. The only other thought I have is to see if you can blow out the antifreze in a location that recovers and treats the waste water which it collects. A self-service spray car wash would be such a location.

There's an old saying ... The Solution to Pollution is Dilution.

LachNess
05-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Great idea draining it at the car wash. Presumably they'll have facilities for responsibly disposing of that stuff.

Miss Rita
05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
If your waste water goes to a sewage treatment plant pour the AF down the toilet. Their treatment process will take care of the ethylene glycol. Don't try this if you have a septic tank.

captain planet
05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
I drain the block and collect as much as I can and reuse it next season provided it didn't get diluted too much. After it drains out I start the boat and collect the water as it exits the boat until the green is gone and then dispose of it at either an auto repair shop or put into the sanitary sewer system.

ski_king
05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I am suprised to hear that pouring auto antifreeze into a municipal wastewater treatment system is an acceptable method of disposal.

CLICK HERE (http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/736.cfm)

I was also suprised to learn that I have been disposing used Windshield Washer Fluid the wrong way all thes years.

captain planet
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
I am suprised to hear that pouring auto antifreeze into a municipal wastewater treatment system is an acceptable method of disposal.

CLICK HERE (http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/736.cfm)

I was also suprised to learn that I have been disposing used Windshield Washer Fluid the wrong way all thes years.

Sooooo......if windshield washer fluid is HAZARDOUS.....why is it legal to SPRAY ON YOUR WINDSHIELD????? :confused:

I know the methanol in it will evaporate.....which I'm assuming will render it non-hazardous....therefore will make it ok to dispose....but then if it evaporates what is left to dispose? WOW I'm confused. :( Who writes this stuff?? And who throws away windshield washer fluid??? Unless you are going to STOP driving......FOREVER.......WON'T YOU EVENTUALLY NEED MORE??????

Thrall
05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Sooooo......if windshield washer fluid is HAZARDOUS.....why is it legal to SPRAY ON YOUR WINDSHIELD????? :confused:

I know the methanol in it will evaporate.....which I'm assuming will render it non-hazardous....therefore will make it ok to dispose....but then if it evaporates what is left to dispose? WOW I'm confused. :( Who writes this stuff?? And who throws away windshield washer fluid??? Unless you are going to STOP driving......FOREVER.......WON'T YOU EVENTUALLY NEED MORE??????

I know, I've always disposed of WW fluid couple squirts at a time (on my windshield), although I did use it to winterize my ballast tanks this year. -20F protection and only 1.39/gal on sale. (Won't say where I disposed of it:rolleyes:)

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Finnsdad,
2 oz of ethylene glycol is lethal to a dog and only 1 teaspoon is lethal to a cat. .

Good info thanks. I mean the cat part. :D

scott023
05-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Good info thanks. I mean the cat part.

Nice. :D:D:D:D