PDA

View Full Version : Will Boaters Insurance Cover A Cracked Block??

brat
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Anyone know if insurance will normally pay for a cracked engine block due to freezing ?

phickman
05-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I would doubt it, the insurance company will probably view this like replacing an engine that failed due to improper oil changes or replacing a transmission that ran low on fluid and stopped functioning. Best of luck with this and let us know how it turns out.

TallRedRider
05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I think that the short answer is no. It probably is spelled out even in your policy. Wouldn't hurt to make a phone call if it could save you many thousands of dollars. Let us know.

Kyle
05-16-2010, 04:32 PM
They are going to say Sorry About Your Problems. Reason behind this is that you have control of your maintenance and they figure that you did not winterize and its your fault. Also they will not consider it a cause of natural disaster like a flood, tornado, or hurricane.

ski/hunt
05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
If they do I want to know the company name:)

Silverdawg
05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Very doubtful. Where do you store your boat at in the fall/winter? Do you ever winterize it? They will deny based on the fact your should have performed the maintenance unless you can prove negligence by a mechanic that should have done it. Even then, you will have to go after the shop that did the work, as the insurance company will deny any responsibility.

Eagle Lake Rebel
05-17-2010, 12:06 AM
I'll have to go back and look, but I think my Boat US policy has some sort of freeze coverage in several Southern states.

JimN
05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Anyone know if insurance will normally pay for a cracked engine block due to freezing ?

No. If it was a dealer or service shop, their insurance may cover it but even that's doubtful because it would fall under workmanship, rather than accidental damage.

brat
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, it looks like the insurance might pay off. Spoke with them on Monday told them the situation. A claims adjuster called me today and said take to it to the shop and send them an estimate. She did say not to proceed with the repairs till I spoke with her. Guess we'll see.

medicmoose
05-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Good luck with the claim!!

broncotw
05-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Intersting.... Please keep us posted.....

bkblaida
05-18-2010, 11:40 PM
For future reference, Boat US does have winterization coverage. As long as you can show the boat was winterized "properly" cracked blocks are covered. A dealer doing the work is sufficient proof of properly. I am not sure how it works if you do it yourself but there is a way to be covered if you winterize the boat yourself.
One of the reasons I use Boat US.

phickman
05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Great, I hope this works out for you. I may send you after some lottery tickets if it does. Best of luck with this situation.

brat
06-09-2010, 09:33 AM
After speaking with the adjuster she told me to send her an estimate. I took the boat to the local Indmar shop and he looked it over and faxed her an estimate. The adjuster called yesterday and said she was cutting the check. So I guess "the checks in the mail".

91prostar
06-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Sooo... Who is the insurance company? I might need to switch :)

brat
06-09-2010, 09:54 AM
The company is ACE Recreational Marine Insurance. I guess my agent is Global Marine Insurance Agency. I purchased it through USA Waterski. You can go to their website and click on the Insurance Resources and Towboat Insurance Quotes links.

joecarew3
06-09-2010, 11:20 AM
So thats a nice way to find out about my insurance company. I just randomly picked insurance because I was being lazy. Nice to hear I might have a keeper. I don't know if its allowed or if you even want to post it, but what did you tell them, how did it unfold? Was it winterizing, or some other problem that caused the block to crack? (No need to answer if you don't care to share)

broncotw
06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
WOW! That's AWESOME!!! Congrats....

milehigh970
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
SCORE! I love getting money out of insurance companies!

brat
06-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I told them exactly what happened. I have never had my boats "winterized". I remove the raw water pump hoses and my hot water shower hose and drain them. The boat is kept in a three sided carport. I've had a mastercraft since 1995 and always done the same thing. This year was exceptionally cold for us, it froze and the starboard side of the block cracked.

BoulderX45
06-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Allstate covered my cracked block back in 91 on my Malibu. It froze one winter when I lived in Portland. I winterized the boat but found out I needed to use a tool (nail) and insert it into the drain holes on the headers because the sand the boat had picked up from the river and lakes had plugged the drain.

Age Fighter
06-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Which is the exact attitude that makes it tougher to do so for a lot of legitimate claims issues.

Try and imagine a free enterprise system without a wealthy insurance industry. Cannot happen. It's not an endless supply of money. Insurance companies hire people, pay dividends, have their stock in people's IRA's and 401K's -- and I hope when you need yours, they have some money left for your claim. They go out of business all the time by the way.

Just something to think about. And no, I am NOT in any way in the industry.

Lars
06-11-2010, 06:47 PM
sooo why did it crack in the first place? Will you do something for future winterizing? and what was the final bill?

Thrall
06-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I told them exactly what happened. I have never had my boats "winterized". I remove the raw water pump hoses and my hot water shower hose and drain them. The boat is kept in a three sided carport. I've had a mastercraft since 1995 and always done the same thing. This year was exceptionally cold for us, it froze and the starboard side of the block cracked.

But not the block drains or manifold plugs????? If you don't pull those as well, you're asking for a cracked block and exhaust manifolds. If this is the case, you pulled one over on the insurance co.

Kevin&Annie
06-11-2010, 11:42 PM
^^ what he said.

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 12:51 AM
This is why we pay so much $$$$$$$$$$$$ for insurance.

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 12:53 AM
I would be way too embarrassed.

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 01:06 AM

Jus-Sayin........................:D

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Allstate covered my cracked block back in 91 on my Malibu. It froze one winter when I lived in Portland. I winterized the boat but found out I needed to use a tool (nail) and insert it into the drain holes on the headers because the sand the boat had picked up from the river and lakes had plugged the drain.

That makes my point. :D

Age Fighter
06-12-2010, 03:01 AM
This is why we pay so much $$$$$$$$$$$$ for insurance.

This is true. I'm happy this claim got covered on an individual basis, but this is what insurance premium is:

It is the expected losses of a certain universe of people -- ie boat owners -- divided by the number of people in that given universe -- plus a relatively small administrative over ride. Period.

It is not a magical mystical never ending deep well of cash. This is true of boat insurance, life insurance, car insurance and pre Obama care health insurance. When our lib politicians ruin the industry, the free market system will be gone. Enjoy. :D:D

tech18428
06-12-2010, 09:32 AM
They will laugh at you I have seen it many times working on boats the customer brings it in two days before christmas and expects everything to be ok but the short of it is YOU WAITED TO LONG AKA YOU ARE AT FAULT.

jipster43
06-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Can we keep the political diatribes outta' the recreational forums? I'm here for the recreation/escapism. I'm not interested in hearing political views of any kind... whether I agree with them or not.

JP :)

Age Fighter
06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Can we keep the political diatribes outta' the recreational forums? I'm here for the recreation/escapism. I'm not interested in hearing political views of any kind... whether I agree with them or not.

JP :)

Well, this thread was about insurance. Didn't exactly scream "escapism" in the thread title. The most highly regulated business of them all is insurance. A little easier when you are discussing prop selection or boat selection.

But to your main point: Wish we could....really do.
So sure, if you want to pretend that politics does not directly effect -- and dramatically so -- recreational activities like power boating. Don't get me wrong, there should be escapism. But there is no escape from government. Especially when you are discussing a very regulated industry like insurance.

The catch 22 is this: Jipster's plea to escape politics is itself a political endorsement of smaller government and made tougher by bigger government -- which is the main tension in our political system. Wish it weren't so, really do, but it is what it is.

"This ad paid for by the committee to get big govt types the heck out of boaters' lives...."

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Well, this thread was about insurance. Didn't exactly scream "escapism" in the thread title. The most highly regulated business of them all is insurance. A little easier when you are discussing prop selection or boat selection.

But to your main point: Wish we could....really do.
So sure, if you want to pretend that politics does not directly effect -- and dramatically so -- recreational activities like power boating. Don't get me wrong, there should be escapism. But there is no escape from government. Especially when you are discussing a very regulated industry like insurance.

The catch 22 is this: Jipster's plea to escape politics is itself a political endorsement of smaller government and made tougher by bigger government -- which is the main tension in our political system. Wish it weren't so, really do, but it is what it is.

"This ad paid for by the committee to get big govt types the heck out of boaters' lives...."

Your batting 1,000...................... :D

brat
06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
The check came today.