PDA

View Full Version : Pro sTAR 205 REAR Seat

Campbell
05-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Does anybpdy have any good suggestions for how to cover the rear foam seat. My vinyl is coming off. it appears that it had 1/4 x 2" wide wood trim glued to the styrofoam as a frame and the vinyl wrapped and stapled to it. I was thinking of ripping out the rotten wood and just glueing the vinyl to the styrofaom seat? ANy suggestions???

Jorski
05-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I would replace the wood. It looks to be luan mahogany (which is really a form of cedar).

5280Hawk
05-17-2010, 11:00 PM
I dont think any new staples will hold in the foam. you probably need the wood.

Campbell
05-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I assume I would Need to glue the wood to the foam. Does anybody have any reccomendations on type of glue that would best adhere to the styrafoam? Or does the would attatch to the seat by different methods?

east tx skier
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
You need to be very careful with glue and styrofoam. When I was doing a seat project and using styrofoam for contours, I dissolved a good amount of foam before I came up with a solution.

Experiment with styrofoam that is not your seat to see how it reacts to glue.

I have had good luck with epoxy puddy in a lot of projects lately, but I don't know how it reacts with styrofoam. What I did previously is wrapped my styrofoam peice in duck(duct) tape and then glued it to the wood piece. Fairly impractical given the size of seat you're working with. But it works if no other option bears fruit.

tph
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I assume I would Need to glue the wood to the foam. Does anybody have any reccomendations on type of glue that would best adhere to the styrafoam? Or does the would attatch to the seat by different methods?

I just went through this with the rear seat on my '89 Prostar. Yes, you do need to reinstall the wood strips for the staples. I think MC used 1/4 inch plywood on mine. I found that the 6 minute epoxy they sell at ACE worked well. ( you may want to try a test section to be sure)

I hope this helps.

Jorski
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
some info here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6223846_glue-styrofoam-wood.html

Campbell
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
thanks for all the info..

Patsfan
05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a friend that had his redone at Leading Edge. They replaced the wood strips with 1/4 plastic. They used a hot glue gun and screws to hold the plastic in place while the glue set up. It's stil in great shape.

rsmith_5568
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
just did my 86 interior. Cut 1/4 luan to size then cover with fiberglass resin. There is a constuction glue that is made for styrofoam to wood. I got mine at home depot it was blue in color. clamped all pieces for 24 hours and my interior guy said it worked out great!! just my 2 cents