PDA

View Full Version : trailel tire tilted in

Finnsdad
05-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I noticed the tire on my trailer is tilted in. It ay have been like this last year and I didn't notice, but I think I would have. Is this caused by a bent axle or a bad spindle? The stain on the garage floor was there before, it's not from the trailer.

Double D
05-15-2010, 07:19 PM
My trailer doesn't have brakes so that might make a difference on what it is, but mine was bent in like that and my axle was bent. So I had it replaced.

Finnsdad
05-15-2010, 07:20 PM
was that expensive?

JimN
05-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I noticed the tire on my trailer is tilted in. It ay have been like this last year and I didn't notice, but I think I would have. Is this caused by a bent axle or a bad spindle? The stain on the garage floor was there before, it's not from the trailer.

What does the other side look like?

Finnsdad
05-15-2010, 07:31 PM
It is also tilted in. About 3/4 inch less than side pictured.

Double D
05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
was that expensive?

I had some light work and wiring done at the same time and my Bill was $320. I guess maybe $40 off for the light work. Maybe $280 ish.

oldairboater
05-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Spindle and bearings easy to rule out--check them. Most of the axles I have put on have a camber to them to help with tracking but yours could still be bent if it is not the spindles or bearings.

TMCNo1
05-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Spindle and bearings easy to rule out--check them. Most of the axles I have put on have a camber to them to help with tracking but yours could still be bent if it is not the spindles or bearings.

Camber would be set with more distance between the tires at the top, than at the bottom when not loaded, so when they are loaded they run parallel under the design load for that particular weight axle. Caster is only 1/2 of one degree each side according to UFP (Unique Functional Products) when I had to have a brand new replacement axle straightened back in 1992

JimN
05-15-2010, 11:04 PM
It is also tilted in. About 3/4 inch less than side pictured.

If you jack the trailer up by the frame, rotate the tires to see if they wobble. I suspect they tilt in because the axel is flexing when weight is applied and I'm not sure it's really a problem. It would take some of the load off of the springs if this is happening.

Miss Rita
05-16-2010, 12:10 AM
If the wheel doesn't wobble the axle or spindle is bent. You need to take it to a trailer shop where they can remove the axle and get it fixed or replaced. It's not something you need to take to a boat dealer.

specialk
05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Interesting, my 2006 X2 is exactly the same way. My list to get fixed is so long I was going to just keep an eye on it until winter. Could it be designed this way?

DanC
05-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Do what Jim said to do. Mine tilt in or out quite a bit when there is turning pressure. It did that when it was brand new and I thought it was a problem.

Kyle
05-16-2010, 04:31 AM
I would jack it up and see if there is any play with the bearrings or if it is loose in any way. Then I would take it to the lake and remove the boat and see if the issue is still there. Without the boat on the trailer you can inspect the ouside of the spindle better. I may even take the bearrings out and look at them and look at the inner part of the spindle. I had to replace an axle on a buddies trailer once and it was under 300 for everything. If you are not carefull you will eat up tires like crazy. Needs to be inspected and figure out what is going on. If the issue goes away without the boat on the trailer, I would replace with a bigger axle and call it good. If the axle is flexing, something is not right.

mccobmd
05-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm no expert but I noticed this when mine was up on blocks with all the weight off this winter. Took it to the trailer shop. They checked the spindle, it was fine. Had all the oil hub bearings and seals replaced because I trailer everywhere and replace them every 3 years. Said the axle and spindle were good. Must be consistent because my trailer is a Dorsey not MC.

Kyle
05-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Seems like if there are several of you guys out there that have the same issue then it may be the way Dorsey made the trailers. I sure would think that the tires would wear bad. It also looks like the tire would become hot on a long trip.

Latetowork
05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Mine does this as well. But I noticed when I stuck the boat in the water for a day to work on the skids that it wasn't doing it anymore with the boat off.

My father in law said it's normal after backing the boat up, as the tires will fold a bit when turning due to the weight of the boat, and if you don't or can't straighten it out for a full revolution of the tires they'll stick out until you move it to get the tires rolled over straight. Dunno, mine only does it after backing it up with the boat on it.

May be worth doing what was said in the thread, jack it up by the frame and rotate the tires to check if their loose, then put it down and see if they're flexing.

Miss Rita
05-16-2010, 10:26 PM
My father in law said it's normal after backing the boat up, as the tires will fold a bit when turning due to the weight of the boat

The tires on tandem trailers will distort while making sharp turns, makes no difference whether you're going forward or backward. If you look closely you'll see that the wheels are still straight, only the tires are distorted.

Finnsdad trailer only has one axle, so tire distortion doesn't play a role here.

This isn't rocket science. If the tire has too much camber either the axle is bent or it flexes because it's too weak to carry the load. Either way it should be fixed.