PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Carpets

kentsmith12
06-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a '96 Sammy and I'm a freak about keeping it in top condition. The boat basically looks brand new and I treat it better than most of my family members - let's keep that a secret... I keep the boat in hoist and last weekend i had to lube the hoist - hadn't been done in 4 years. Nevertheless, I was so careful not to over lube as to have it drip onto my boat. However, I had a few friends out that weekend and one of them somehow got some lube on their feet and well, you guessed it, she made a nice litte print on the carpet right behind the drivers seat. Yes, she is still alive; although, I did look at my 12 gauge I keep in the boat house (snakes) and dreamed for a few seconds...

Anyone have a good solution for getting industrial grease out of carpet? I have already tried simple green - didn't work.

east tx skier
06-23-2005, 06:51 PM
For general cleaning, I get a good brush and some Tide dissolved in warm water. Scrub, scrub, scrub. Then power wash the carpet and all the suds into the bilge. Follow with the shop vac and allow time for it to completely dry.

For stubborn stuff, there's some stuff you can buy called "Spot Shot" that gets almost anything out. The can has an orange top on it.

G-man
06-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I kow this sounds crazy but you can clean up dirty oil with clean oil. apply very small amount of clean motor oil and rub area. when it has broken up the dirty spot clean with a degreaser like dish soap. Be sure to get out all soap because soap attracks and holds dirt. Hose it down real good and wetvac out water. I soak my carpet without soap once a year and wetvac out the dirty water.

AIRCANX09
06-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Try to lift grease out by blotting with clean rags. Spray with WD-40 ( lubricant ), then blot agin. Apply dish soap ( Sunlight ) as this will lift grease. Blot/rinse/blot/rinse/blo and keep going. You may also use a shop vac to lift rinse/wash water. Just dont rub as this ill spread the spo.

lakes Rick
06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Try scrubbing it with orange hand cleaner.. Works good on clothes...

RedStar
06-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I have a '96 Sammy and I'm a freak about keeping it in top condition. The boat basically looks brand new and I treat it better than most of my family members - let's keep that a secret... I keep the boat in hoist and last weekend i had to lube the hoist - hadn't been done in 4 years. Nevertheless, I was so careful not to over lube as to have it drip onto my boat. However, I had a few friends out that weekend and one of them somehow got some lube on their feet and well, you guessed it, she made a nice litte print on the carpet right behind the drivers seat. Yes, she is still alive; although, I did look at my 12 gauge I keep in the boat house (snakes) and dreamed for a few seconds...

Anyone have a good solution for getting industrial grease out of carpet? I have already tried simple green - didn't work.

Grab her by the back of the head, push her nose down into the soiled spot and firmly repeat, "No No!"
Then, swat her butt with a rolled-up newspaper. :mad:

bucky
06-23-2005, 09:55 PM
**disclaimer**
I only do the following because I will be replacing the carpeting this winter (though it doesn't seem to have hurt anything)

The previous owner had an oil spill that wouldn't come out and a few other stains. He damaged the carpet with some type of solution at the oil stain, hence the planned replacement. I took it to the local car wash and used the "soap" setting on the pressure washer (not the engine cleaner setting) and rinsed thoroughly with the transom shower later that morning (softer water). All spots are now gone and, except for the previous damage, The 4 year old carpet looks brand new. Y.M.M.V.

bret
06-23-2005, 11:22 PM
call Service Master or a carpet cleaning service to come to your boat, $35 and it will look as new! I do our party barge, four winns, and my boat every two years, charge $90 for all three boats and they come to the marina, I just bring the boats to them at the dock.

erkoehler
06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Okay, this may sound weird, but how do you keep that soft fluffy feel to the carpet?

Under my rear seat, the carpet is really soft, but in the more traveled sections of the boat, it has gotten to be hard, and doesn't have any "depth" to it....

I know this may sound crazy, but it is true!

How do I fix it????

captkidd
06-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Erk, I think that many of the previously mentioned techniques will help. Scrubbing it with a stiff brush and rinsing it afterward will help a lot. You probably need to use a clean and dry brush afterward to "raise the nap" of the carpet; just rub it in all directions until you see the fibers stand up. It may never be as fluffy as the other carpet, but it will help.

RedStar
06-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Okay, this may sound weird, but how do you keep that soft fluffy feel to the carpet?

How do I fix it????

Maybe you could walk on the seats? :rolleyes:

MarkP
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Maybe you could walk on the seats? :rolleyes:LMAO.. I'll try it..:uglyhamme

G-man
06-24-2005, 02:18 PM
I know some people that power wash up the carpet but that is kind of hard on the carpet. A nylon brush when you wet vac can help pull it back up.

3event
10-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Just a bump to thank everyone for their great suggestions , and EastTX's Tide recommendation. We had a nice day for working on the boat and the brush+tide - rinse - shopvac worked fantastic !

Once I started, though, I couldn't figure out where the water was supposed to be rinsing to . . ? . . I thought I probably didn't want to open up the motor cover and get too much junk sprayed on it, so the water drained "naturally" - ie mostly to the back. After the wetvac we adjusted the slope to get it most all drained out of the bilge - did I hose it up?

Cloaked
10-16-2005, 11:57 PM
..... After the wetvac we adjusted the slope to get it most all drained out of the bilge - did I hose it up?No Sir, that's just fine...

bigmac
10-17-2005, 09:24 AM
I know some people that power wash up the carpet but that is kind of hard on the carpet. A nylon brush when you wet vac can help pull it back up.

My Century I/O had the same kind of marine carpet as my MasterCraft. Over the last 12 years, as my kids were growing up and started using the boat, I was always amazed at the carpet stains. I used to power wash the carpeting at least twice a year with no ill effects. I worried about the carpet lifting, or damaging the plywood underneath but it's never happened. Everything came out. Ya gotta make sure the boat's sitting bow high with the transom drain plug out - it's amazing how much water you end up putting in the bilge with this method.

SteveO
10-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Grab her by the back of the head, push her nose down into the soiled spot and firmly repeat, "No No!"
Then, swat her butt with a rolled-up newspaper. :mad:

LMAO :D ....That's funny, I don't care who you are

6ballsisall
10-17-2005, 12:27 PM
One word of caution on the type of soaps you use on your carpet. The cheap bissel cleaner soaps you get at the grocery store for the rental carpet cleaners are a joke. They might make it look good for a while but over time they will end up looking worse. No matter how much freshwater you apply and extract after washing that cheap soap still leaves a residue which will attract dirt and break down the carpet fibers. Contact Servicemaster or Steamway, ask to buy some of their cleaner and use it. It works ten times better and no residue after use