PDA

View Full Version : R.H. rotatation eng, dist drive gear replacement

Napagary
05-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm replacing a points style dist in an older R.H. rotation 351. I'm in a partnership on the boat and the budget is tight. Purchased a new normal L.H. rotation Mallory dist knowing it would come w/ a drive gear for L.H. Plan was to swap out the dist drive gear from the old R.H. rotation dist. The problem - the old gear doesn't have a roll pin like the new one. The gear is held on w/ a peened over pin and I'm skeptical about replacement. Skidim has the correct R.H. dist but it's way off our budget.
Just curious if anyone has done this dist gear swap?

Skipper
05-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Not that I have ever known. It would be cheaper to do the points conversion without the entire distributer. I did it for about a hundred bucks on my 87.

Napagary
05-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks
I found that Mallory still makes a points style R.H. rotation dist, it's special order but have one coming. That will solve that problem.
Took out the old dist and for kicks tried to reset it, it wouldn't go all the way back down, felt the 2 gears engage but then it stopped. The engine is inclined and looking down the hole I see the hex oil pump drive shaft sorta tipped back, not centered so the dist end could slip over it. I believe that's why the dist wouldn't reset. May try to lower the trailer tongue to bring the engine closer to level
I'll fool w/ it more when the new dist arrives